Well Done Review Of Simplex+

Thanks Steve.  Yep, that was a good review.  I agree with almost all of it.  I even agree with the observation that the grip is angled just a bit to far forward.  I also agree with the observation that the buttons are really stiff, except that I would go even further and say that they are so stiff, I can't even use the pinpoint button after about the first 20 targets.  My thumb gets worn out quickly and I simply revert to "X-ing" the target in disc mode.  My strong suggestion would be to reprogram the software to allow a toggle of the pinpoint instead of having to hold it down continuously.  

Overall the Simplex is an amazing machine for the money.  It has great audio and lightning fast recovery speed.  So good, you almost don't need a smaller coil to work the trash.  The gauntlet has definitely been thrown down by Nokta and the other manufacturers are going to have a hard time scrambling to match the price/performance ratio of the Simplex.

• Like 3

I found the same thing with making changes to the settings. They need to change it so it doesn't disappear right away. Its a little thing but can really be frustrating. I never thought the buttons were to stiff though. I imagine they have to be if your using it underwater. Great little machine. Beautifully designed. Budget approved. I wonder who will be the first manufacturer to sell a machine where you can go online and make changes to your setting where you have the option to change some of these settings like if the pinpoint mode stays on or has to be held. Now that would be cool!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kickindirt said:

. I imagine they have to be if your using it underwater. 

That may be the reason.  On one of the Kruzer updates they added a control/button lock feature because if you go deep enough the buttons could activate due to increased pressure of the water

• Like 2

I’ve had my Simplex for a while but due to sickness in the family and getting out detecting with it has been more a hit & run ..

On what was said about the angle of the grip . Until the subject popped up I guess you could say I didn’t find it to be a problem at all . On the matter of wanting to change are add to a program is a big pain in the backside.. This needs to be that it locks in until you’re ready to move on to another setting.

I have found that the ID is better than lots of other detectors over time that I’ve owned . Every time the ID came up with 91 I can assure you it’s a clad quarter. It goes the same for a lot of coins that was shown on the video.

I’d made a statement on another post the Simplex is a good backup but the more I do get out with it I may be selling the Simplex short on what it’s capable of.

The Simplex is simple to use as a pickup turn on and go .

I wish at times it had a smaller coil on my Simplex but for my first I find I can live without it..

One thing has always been a thorn in my side is when I put my detector down it would fall over like a dead dog . That is not the case with the Simplex. I guess that’s where the plus comes in on the Simplex.

It is one great buy for the money!

Chuck 

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.  Top review.  I have a Nox 600 and 800.  I bought a Simplex+ as a loaner for my kids and grandchildren.  I’ve got to say I’m pretty impressed by its build quality and performance. And, for the price, it’s a lot of detector ‘bang for your buck’.  I actually hadn’t noticed the ergonomic problems you mentioned (Handle angle and button firmness) but I have been frustrated by the lack of time between pressing a button and the detector reverting to previous screen.  I agree, Nokta could improve on this and it may be possible with an update.  One outstanding point, to me, is that fact that Nokta offer software updates.

• Like 3

Handle angle was designed so your wrist is in a natural position with out having to add stress from needing upward or downward wrist pressure to keep the detector in a balanced position. And many won't notice how good the handle is unless they currently have a bad wrist. When a smaller coil is attached to the Simplex, should balance about perfect.............

The menu dwell time could be a second longer. By the time you decide on the changes you want to make, it returns to the main screen.

Steve H... 'Thanks' for the link.  I enjoy reading other's viewpoints regarding detector that interest me.

Chuck (RR).. I have to first wish you well.  I agree with most of your thoughts, except it took me all of 4-5 days to realize the Simplex+ was not going to be a 'back-up' or only a 'sometimes used' detector in my outfit.  I happened to have a site to compare it with the 11" DD coil, and was wonderfully impressed!  The numeric VDI read-out can 'lock on' quite well in my rather mineralized Easter Oregon soil.   I have 9 detectors now in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit, and 5 of those 9 are Nokta / Makro devices. 

The only main-design glitch is the too-rapid 'Time Out'  for adjustment purposes.  The only workable changes I wish it had are with the Beach mode.  I'd like to have full-control to Accept and reject ALL of the Disc. segments.  I'd also like to have Iron Audio Volume adjustment in that mode.  I search at ')' Disc. in all three of the Discriminate modes, and most often use the Beach mode because I prefer that Non-VCO function in more open places with mid-depth to deeper targets.  I can live with some occasional Iron as I do with my FORS CoRe's, but when it gets a bit annoying I then switch to the Field mode with Iron Audio.  It also has the VCO-enhanced audio response.

Sven1.. I'm with you as I find the Simplex+ grip to be very comfortable 'as-is' with the big 11" DD coil mounted.  I am certain it is going to be one of the better feeling/handling detectors when they get smaller-size coils released this spring.

Monte

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:28 PM, Sven1 said:

Handle angle was designed so your wrist is in a natural position with out having to add stress from needing upward or downward wrist pressure to keep the detector in a balanced position. And many won't notice how good the handle is unless they currently have a bad wrist. When a smaller coil is attached to the Simplex, should balance about perfect.............

The menu dwell time could be a second longer. By the time you decide on the changes you want to make, it returns to the main screen.

Agree and agree. I find the handle excellent, and I like that there is the extra bit of "meat" under the control box to accommodate larger hands. I quite like holding it here in a sort of pistol grip. I find it very comfortable. 

For a unit designed for beginners, it is making a lot of experienced hunters quite happy as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1