Minelab Equinox Ground Balance Setting

Minelab Equinox Ground Balance Setting  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of the time do you operate the Equinox with Ground Balance set to zero?

• > 90% of the time
    • 60-90% of the time
    • 40-60% of the time
    • 10-40% of the time
    • < 10% of the time

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/13/2020 at 03:59 AM

The question may be oversimplified and I invite more detailed responses such as the one Chase provided.  Obviously there is no right answer but based upon another discussion/thread I was reminded that I've wondered about this multiple times in the past.  Thanks to all who respond.

• Like 2

Hard to answer, the way it is asked because it is totally situational.  90% of the time if at the beach (the other 10% being tracking if in surf), 0% of the time when land hunting (mostly auto or tracking).  So the total depends on my split of beach detecting vs. Land detectig which varies considerably.  I guess I would say 25% overall I guess based on my ratio of beach to land hunting so that was the basis of my vote.

• Like 2

Wish ML just explained it better, or were more definite about it. In all time I spent with Nox I could not really tell if it makes difference depth wise or better target id. It does seem effect coil bump sensitivity, so perhaps with higher GB Nox is more sensitive? Noticed similar behaviour when artificially increasing sensitivity (25+)

1 hour ago, nordic said:

It does seem effect coil bump sensitivity...

Could that be because when you bump something the coil moves with respect to the earth (closer or farther)?  I know that when I've been in the Nevada desert going over tiny stones, if the ground balance is off (and/or I'm picking up hot rocks or cold stones), the detector tells me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nordic said:

Wish ML just explained it better, or were more definite about it. In all time I spent with Nox I could not really tell if it makes difference depth wise or better target id. It does seem effect coil bump sensitivity, so perhaps with higher GB Nox is more sensitive? Noticed similar behaviour when artificially increasing sensitivity (25+)

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Could that be because when you bump something the coil moves with respect to the earth (closer or farther)?  I know that when I've been in the Nevada desert going over tiny stones, if the ground balance is off (and/or I'm picking up hot rocks or cold stones), the detector tells me.

If I push GB high, it increases coil bump sensitivity, I can even get falsing by simply shaking the coil in the air (i.e., nowhere near the ground).  I can't explain why that happens, but I recall Steve H. not being surprised when I described this issue.  You can see his response here and a longer discussion of causes for bump sensitvity here.

• Like 2

So quick and easy to do an Auto G/B that I almost always go that route. In over two years with the Nox I haven't found a need to use tracking but then again I haven't used it at the beach or Nugget hunting yet. 

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

As in topics Chase mentioned, ML pushed the Nox close to usability limits, as I found out later. I do think though, that they should've given users more sensitivity, because some, including me, like it running hot.

It either reacts to the shaft (alu piece), cable itself or soil. During some experimentation I've assembled a simple device that gives me another ~3 sensitivity ticks (max ~28) and bump sensitivity is very apparent. While swinging gently, it is not an issue, but enough to bend the cable, tap the coil or put the MD on the ground, it bursts with TID numbers. Similar thing happens when GB is set high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nordic said:

As in topics Chase mentioned, ML pushed the Nox close to usability limits, as I found out later. I do think though, that they should've given users more sensitivity, because some, including me, like it running hot.

I think it can run plenty hot, not sure why you would really want to increase the noise floor any further (diminishing returns), but I guess it's cool you figured out a way to hack your Equinox to do so.

I just noticed, that conditions here where I live allow me to run Nox at full sensitivity, EMI never an issue outside, so I thought did ML exhaust sensitivity on this thing... Shortly speaking, yes, they did limit it to a sensible 25 to suit every user. It was just an experiment to satisfy curiosity. Sens 28 gives 6" coil another 2-3" in air discrimination depth, but air depth is hardly an indicator. Extra sensitivity rather suits special occasions, when grass is low, or perhaps beach hunting, low EMI, but I find I use it all the time... Anyway, this thread is about GB 🙂