you're killing it, 16 gold coins, incredible 🙂 Thanks for the post.  That's a great condition coin.

Aside from the fabled fellows who were the first ones to ever hit Camp Floyd ("Johnston's Army") in Utah, I don't know of anyone in the USA who's got this many.  Not counting caches, that is.  Ie.: Just counting fumble fingers individual losses.    I know  several guys in CA that I hunt with, who have 2 or 3 or 4-ish.  And one buddy of mine who's at I think 8 so far (but one of them was from his current location in Australia).

There are more found on the west coast, than on the east coast.  Lots of theories have been advanced as to  the reason for that.  But that's for another thread/topic.  🙂

• Like 1

Congratulations Tom. I know many people have maybe found more gold coins, but those are the results of finding a cache. As far as I know you are tops for finding them one at a time here and there. It just goes to show that hunting the right sites and focusing on your desired targets does pay off. To find gold coins like you do you have to hunt for gold coins. For most people they tend to be an accidental find while doing general coin or relic detecting. Very impressive, and a super clean find at that! Thanks for posting.

• Like 6

Very nice looking $10 Tom! I will have to agree that the Western US is the place to be if you want to find gold coins.

• Like 2

That coin looks really nice, Not a bad paycheck for the day. If the market keeps dropping it might be worth a lot more very soon. I'd have to find about 1525 of those just to cover my losses on my wife's 401k and my market losses. Looks like I have to buy a GPZ 7000 not sure I can afford one now. Great finds!! You should be very proud of yourself and your dedication to the hobby. Hope to see some more soon. 

• Like 1

thanx guys for the "high-5's".  Especially coming from some  of the most respected names and figures of our hobby/industry !

3 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

All I can say about the location is:  "In California"  🙂

For coming out of the ground, the condition is spectacular!  And you've shown that at least one of the Philadelphia minted gold coins made it all the way across the country.  Not to take anything away from your fantastic find, but I wish yours had a Carson City (CC) mintmark.  Has any of your previous 15 been one of those?

• Like 1

Hey there GB-amateur :  Yes, one of your Philly mints snuck across the Mississippi river, to CA .  I feel SSeeeooo bad 😞    I will eat a 2nd jelly donut tomorrow morning for penance.  ok?   Then will you absolve my conscience of all guilt ?  🥵

No, none of my 16 gold coins were CC mint.  But I was hunting with a buddy, back in the late 1990s, who got a rare CC $5 gold (I forget what year) only ~20 yards away from me.  At the time, I think we valued it at 8 to 10k value.  I'm sure it's more now.   I also saw a private mint CA gold found right near me.  Moffat, if I recall.  In each of those 2 cases, both those guys were at sites that I took them to.   (ie.: my research, my permissions, etc....)

• Like 5

Fantastic finds you are making on the gold coins, but please save some of them for us poor newbies.

Wish you luck in the future.