Which size and type of backpacks do you all use to hike in for panning?

Any pack will do. If you are in good shape and can carry the weight, a strongly made, heavier backpack would be optimal, make a GoRuck, Hazard 4, or even some of the Maxpedition packs. But if you are not travelling far on foot or don't want to deal with all that weight, a lighter pack would be the way to go, just remember they are liable to wear out faster.

A lot will depend on what you plan to carry in it. Standard gold pans of 14" will have a problem fitting inside and will have to be strapped or otherwise attached to the outside. If you want a pan that fits in the pack, you are probably looking at a 10" pan. 

Don't forget room for your tools and lunch!

Hope that helped a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacsco67 said:

Any pack will do. If you are in good shape and can carry the weight, a strongly made, heavier backpack would be optimal, make a GoRuck, Hazard 4, or even some of the Maxpedition packs. But if you are not travelling far on foot or don't want to deal with all that weight, a lighter pack would be the way to go, just remember they are liable to wear out faster.

A lot will depend on what you plan to carry in it. Standard gold pans of 14" will have a problem fitting inside and will have to be strapped or otherwise attached to the outside. If you want a pan that fits in the pack, you are probably looking at a 10" pan. 

Don't forget room for your tools and lunch!

Hope that helped a little.

Thanks for the reply!

I picked up an Army Molle II Rucksack, padded shoulder and waist belt. Several compartments inside, a light polymer removable, (I think), frame.

ruck1.jpg

ruck2.jpg

ruck3.jpg

ruck4.jpg

• Like 3

Yes the frame is removable.  If you take the frame off it makes it more like an assault pack.  I liked that medium ruck when I had one in the Army.  There have been issues with the full sized polymer MOLLE frame but I never heard of any with that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bear said:

Yes the frame is removable.  If you take the frame off it makes it more like an assault pack.  I liked that medium ruck when I had one in the Army.  There have been issues with the full sized polymer MOLLE frame but I never heard of any with that one.

Thanks. Hopefully I’ll have some shoulder room left to carry my 30-30 Winchester 94.