New Here, Looking To Get Back Into Detecting With ?

mrtune

I have not been detecting in years but want to get back into it. In late 1980's I purchased a Garrett Groundhog and had lots of success with it. I am thinking that detector is out of date now and have been looking at others in the mid price range. I have kind of decided it will not be a Garrett this time and was looking at the Nokta Makro Anfibio multi but have kind of decided on the Minelab Equinox 800. I do like the sound of the Equinox way better than the other 2.  Looking for info from people on here, would this be a good choice? Anyone have any different suggestions? I have done all my research online as here in Rural South Dakota there is no dealers or shops. Thanks!!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mrtune said:

In late 1980's I purchased a Garrett Groundhog and had lots of success with it. I am thinking that detector is out of date now....

Welcome, mrtune!  I also have a Groundhog, and it still works (and finds coins, for example).  However, you will be surprised at the stability of detectors designed&built since then.  One thing not to expect is for added depth (though there may be some but it isn't likely significant except for under certain difficult conditions). Those old detectors were pretty good at that.  Target separation (and anti-masking) is another area of significant improvement.  Better ergonomics, more accurate target identification, the list of improvements goes on.

I also came back to the hobby after ~35 years away.  I hope you enjoy your return even half as much as I have.

16 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome, mrtune!  I also have a Groundhog, and it still works (and finds coins, for example).  However, you will be surprised at the stability of detectors designed&built since then.  One thing not to expect is for added depth (though there may be some but it isn't likely significant except for under certain difficult conditions). Those old detectors were pretty good at that.  Target separation (and anti-masking) is another area of significant improvement.  Better ergonomics, more accurate target identification, the list of improvements goes on.

I also came back to the hobby after ~35 years away.  I hope you enjoy your return even half as much as I have.

My old Garrett still works to. I have just kind of lost faith in it after looking at videos of the newer machines. I was going to stay with a Garrett at first until I watched a video of the At max in action. The annoying buzzing sound reminded of a cheap Radio Shack detector I first started out with. Loved the tone of the old Groundhog as it was easy for me to tell the difference in them. Even bought a larger coil, 12 inch I think for it. Never found much with it tho. 

I also see videos that show depth on these new detectors aka bench tests and plants in the ground that sure seem to be lots deeper than I ever remember the Groundhog going. Also the auto setting on it would kind of drive you nuts. Used it most in the VLF mode and manual on the other mode, not remembering what it was without looking at it.  Hoping to get away from that with a new machine. 

Have not seen much about the Garrett GTI 2500, anyone have any info on that???  

Welcome aboard mrtune, I'm a big fan of the Nokta Makro multi Kruzer, lots of coils available for it and goes very deep and easy to operate. I don't own a nox 800 but everyone seems to like them. So whatever you choose I'm sure you will do well. Good luck

1 hour ago, mrtune said:

Have not seen much about the Garrett GTI 2500, anyone have any info on that???

There's probably a reason you haven't seen much about it (written lately).  It's pretty much outdated compared to the new digital detectors.  (Pretty heavy, too.)  Steve has amassed his own summary of most currently available (in new condition) detectors here, and even some that are not longer sold new but can be found in used condition on Ebay, for example.  There is a lot more detail on the forum.  I use google to search "detectorprospector.com" and then the item/topic I'm interested in (e.g. "GTI 2500") and you should find a lot more on the subject.

Welcome to the forum MT! The Minelab Equinox 800 is good choice that will allow you to grow with it. Good luck and thanks for joining up!

Welcome to the forums. I used mostly the Tesoro Tejon and an AT Pro for bad weather and freshwater hunting. I recently got a Makro Multi Kruzer to replace my AT Pro as the AT is showing it's age. I chose the MMK because the depth you can achieve with such a small coil. It will hit depths close to a 17" coil on the AT Pro and is only 7". This is proving to be very effective for much of my coin and relic hunting in wooded areas. I just snagged a 2 cent dated 1864 in some seriously iron infested ground. My other machines struggle with that type of hunting because poking around brush and under growth with a wide coil is difficult if not impossible. There are a slew of coils for the Kruzer including concentrics. Some reason Minelabs doesn't offer a concentric coils for their Nox's. If your coin shooting in parks where there are steel bottle caps then the concentric coil on the Kruzer would do very well because the caps will run in the iron range. One of the cool features of the Kruzer is you can use the VDI in SP mode that will have ID #'s with the bias on the frequency rather than same linear number range across all frequencies. This is really good for the 19khz setting as you expand the range on the low and mid conductors ie gold and jewelry and have better separation between them and much of the trash like can slaw pull tabs, square tabs.

I want to say thanks for your info so far!!! It helps to have someone to talk to helping me make the best decision. I am trying to give all the comparable detectors a look before purchasing as it will probably be the last one I buy. Thanks again!!