New Here, Looking To Get Back Into Detecting With ?

mrtune

Welcome to the forums, mrtune!

I'm new to the forum and detecting in general. I decided to get the Equinox 800 based on the things I read here on the forums, and the fact that I wanted a multi-purpose machine (Coins, Relics, Gold), but just as importantly a machine I could grow into as I learned more about the hobby.  I've had it for about a week now, and so far am very pleased.  The presets work well, and it is configurable enough to do more as I learn more.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Let's start by considering how the engineers determing the default settings.  They do their own tests.  They have stored up knowledge from previous work (e.g. other detectors).  They get advice & feedback from field (beta-) testers.

….

Now, we haven't (AFAIK) heard from Minelab nor seen in software upgrades any changes to the default settings.  I don't interpret that to mean what they gave us 2 years ago in defaults are the be-all, end-all.  And I doubt they ever felt they would be.  The defaults are good starting points, and they will work pretty well in many conditions.  From there forward it's up to us.

Actually I rather agree with Phrunt , I like simple machines that can be used immediately and very efficently without entering complex settings. The Deus/Orx have a lot of settings but their factory modes are perfectly set , for example with my Deus I only use the "Deus fast" mode , just changing the tones from 5 to fulltones , and changing the freq from 14 ( low iron trash )to 30khz ( high iron trash ) when necessary. Thats all . And it works perfectly I use this  "Deus fast" mode since 2013 ... And no risk to loose my settings because I have no settings … 🙂 

I also like the Vanquish because it is simple, just use the Jewellery mode , increase the sens to max. I just use the all metal button from time to time to help to identify iron targets, Thats all ...  

Some people like to customize their detectors ,  some other do not like modifying the settings , it i just a matter of personal choice I think ... 

• Like 2

After using a number of detectors over the years, the Deus would be the last detector I’d sell. It is my favorite detector. Stay safe and good luck!

• Like 1

Thank for your kind message BeachHunter … Yes the standard Deus with a black 9inches coil is excellent and the white 9 inches HF coil is even better , the XP Deus/Orx are great detectors … Stay safe in CA 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure of purchasing the Equinox 600 or 800( when our current pandemic is over) but not sure I really need the 800 as I do not plan of gold searching.  I mainly just do old homesteads etc. I am wanting to return to some of my old sites with a new detector and see what I might have missed. So anyone who has actually compared or has knowledge of the 600 compared to the 800, do I really need the 800? Did a youtube search and am still confused!!

3 hours ago, mrtune said:

I am pretty sure of purchasing the Equinox 600 or 800( when our current pandemic is over) but not sure I really need the 800 as I do not plan of gold searching.  I mainly just do old homesteads etc. I am wanting to return to some of my old sites with a new detector and see what I might have missed. So anyone who has actually compared or has knowledge of the 600 compared to the 800, do I really need the 800? Did a youtube search and am still confused!!

It's a common misconception that the main difference between the 600 and 800 is gold mode and if prospecting is not on the horizon, then why do I need that extra mode.  The fact is there are significant more subtle diffrences between the two detectors besides just gold mode including: the useful included wireless audio accessories, the non-ferrous tone customizations, the additional single frequency settings, manual noise cancelling, custom mode profile slot, and I could go on and on, not to mention that gold mode can be useful for more than gold prospecting (I use it for relic hunting).  The usefulness of a lot of these additional 800 features may not be apparent when first starting out, but you may find them useful as you grow in proficiency with the machine.  That being said, many proficient and very experienced (and successful) detectorists find the 600 to fully meet their detecting needs.  I recommend perusing the Equinox forum here for more information and specifcally Steve H.'s excellent Equinox Essential Information compilation thread here.

In that thread is an excellent pointer to an Equinox 600 vs. 800 comparison:

Steve H.'s excellent Minelab 600 vs. 800 Comparison Article 

https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

And a comparison post I wrote a few years back - my first post on the forum, actually:

:smile:

Hope these somewhat alleviate the confusion of which to choose.

Regardless of which one you choose, either Equinox is an excellent detector and an excellent value.

HTH

Oh, and a couple more thoughts...

mrtune, I know you are not a newbie but for the benefit of someone else reading this who is just getting into detecting...

Don't buy more detector than you can afford, but it's ok to buy more detector than you think you need.  In other words, if the 800 is outside your budget but the 600 is affordable, don't reach for it beyond your means - it is not worth going into debt over.  On the flip side, don't buy the 600 just because it is cheaper or you don't think you will need its features right off the bat if can afford the 800.  You may regret later that you don't have those features on your machine unless you are 100% sure you will never use them.

Finally, just because the 600 has fewer "advanced" features than the 800 doesn't mean it is any easier to learn than the 600.  Either detector will take hundreds of hours of swing time to become really proficient.  But that is true of just about any mid to high end detector so don't let that scare you.  Regardless, both the 600 and 800 have excellent default settings that will get you out and swinging right out of the box and you will find stuff provided the site you have chosen has targets to find (site selection is the #1 factor in success in my opinion independent of the detector you use).

Good Luck Out There! And Everyone Stay Safe!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello Mrtune, 

I was off here for a few weeks, and trying to catch up! Sorry i missed your intro! Belated Welcome!👍👍

Just an update, if you haven't purchased a new one yet!

Steve's post:  "Best detector values for under $500"!  No slouches in this lineup!!

**BTW,  like Chase; i too was gone for 30+ years before returning in 2015!

• Like 1