Active 150 Year Old Church

Finally got to hunt a little at a 150 year old church, with permission.  Spent an hour surveying the boundary around this old church, but didn't find the hot spot I was looking for.  But all is not lost, I have permission to hunt anytime.  Next trip, I hope to hunt closer to the actual church but need to ask and make sure it is okay.  Now some might ask, what exactly is the hot spot you are looking for?  An area where the church members (75-150 years ago) might have gathered for outdoor events and picnics.   That being said, I've pondered on what the little shaft with gears might be.  Maybe some kind of wind up device!

2020031595094930.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Great finds and yes that is for a lantern wick, some of the old churches had lanterns hanging for their ceilings and I just wonder if that is one of them.

How long is that wick knob as the ceiling lantern wick knobs were closer to 6 inches, and the standard lanterns were 4 inches.

Lots of good relic sleuthing ID'ing going on.  Mark, you didn't ask about the bottom item in the picture.  Does that mean you've got if figured out?  It reminds me of the handle-winder on a 50ft, 75ft, or 100ft tape measure.

tape-measure_winder.jpeg.9c7ec94439cd3f186e45a47a2fd86d52.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Lots of good relic sleuthing ID'ing going on.  Mark, you didn't ask about the bottom item in the picture.  Does that mean you've got if figured out?  It reminds me of the handle-winder on a 50ft, 75ft, or 100ft tape measure.

tape-measure_winder.jpeg.9c7ec94439cd3f186e45a47a2fd86d52.jpeg

Wow.

Never thought of that one either.  Thanks

• 2 years later...

Ah geez, got necro'd 🤣

• Haha 1