Nice find, but what type of quarterback would be wearing that?

What was the depth that it was at when you dug it up. I have had some shallow targets that rand up the same that I had passed on in the past. I really should be digging up those numbers, but am still new with the 800.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Nice find, but what type of quarterback would be wearing that?

What was the depth that it was at when you dug it up. I have had some shallow targets that rand up the same that I had passed on in the past. I really should be digging up those numbers, but am still new with the 800.

Thanks.

2 inches or so. There is a lot of other aluminum junk that falls into those numbers (9, 10, 11), but the way the ID locks onto a ring is a tipoff once you have dug enough of those numbers. In fact, if the ID numbers stay within a range of 2 numbers as you swing, make sure to dig it. If it bounces through 3 or more numbers, it will likely be junk. A 9 is not common, a 10 is often the flat piece of aluminum that gets pushed down when a can is opened, and an 11 is not common. All those numbers can be aluminum shards of some sort. Start digging those numbers if you want the smaller women's rings...the ones with diamonds.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

I knew it was a good possibility when I stopped to dig it based on the solid numbers and the tone.

I assume you mean the quality/consistency of the tone, not the audio frequency (pitch).

1 hour ago, Againstmywill said:

...a 10 is often the flat piece of aluminum that gets pushed down when a can is opened...

Hmmm.  I run Park1 and those annoying, nearly circular discs of aluminum ('punchouts') hit dead on 13 (uncorroded US nickel 5 cent TID, BTW) consistently for me.  I guess it could depend upon the size -- i.e. the can it comes from.  What search mode are you running?

Regardless, nice ring, and your attention to detail is what scored you this.  I almost certainly would have ignored it.

26 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

What search mode are you running?

Park 1

• Thanks 1

Most junk like aluminum can slag, pull rings etc generate unstable vdi's. Gold rings always seem to have a nicer smoother roll to them, more subtle than trash and nickels too on the machines I have used. That similar on the Nox?

Just now, kac said:

Most junk like aluminum can slag, pull rings etc generate unstable vdi's. Gold rings always seem to have a nicer smoother roll to them, more subtle than trash and nickels too on the machines I have used. That similar on the Nox?

For me, it seems like the rings produce a "hard, repeatable hit" vs. a "wimpy, choppy hit." The variability is key for my ears. Little to no variability means to dig, and not just these lower numbers.

• Like 3

The Kruzer hits hard on targets too but I have been relying on the repeatable numbers too.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, Againstmywill said:

For me, it seems like the rings produce a "hard, repeatable hit" vs. a "wimpy, choppy hit." The variability is key for my ears. Little to no variability means to dig, and not just these lower numbers.

I agree 100% and especially when detecting those same #'s in parks and fields.  

Very nice save my friend.

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the gold!

No doubt about it the Equinox likes gold, in general it likes "pure" metals.  It loves silver too. 

I have the 15" coil and I was amazed that it separates and is able to work iron almost as well as the 11" coil.  I took it to a "worked out" stage stop that's gotten rather stingy over the years, and dug three seated silver dimes in one hunt using the 15" coil, I was amazed to say the least.  Not sure it gives a lot of extra depth, but it sure helps with ground coverage and it's not heavy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Yesterday I managed to get out to the beach and keep my social distance from the others and most of the targets.  There has not been much sand movement except to deposit and sand in my Southern California beaches.  I was at the black sand line and got a 15 and hoped it would be better than just the couple of pennies I had found and it was.  It is like a thin silver wire ring.  I haven't gotten one quite like it before.

I was pretty much done with the beach soon after that find and on my way out I detected near a lifeguard station.  The station had been place up on a mound and a dozer had been used to scrape up the sand.  That made the surface I was detecting about 1 ft below normal.  I got a dime signal with the Nox 800 and I kept digging and digging until I was down a foot.  Out pops this silver band that weighs just 1.86g.

The other items are just a collection of recent finds and still some others are just to show unsorted containers from trips in the most recent past.

The hand is there to give it scale!  haha

• By LukeJMG1986
      Hi, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to metal detecting. I currently have a bounty hunter tracker 4, and I'm definitely looking to upgrade. I had my eyes set on the minelab equinox 800. Upon further research I sort of realized that the 600 is only really lacking the 20 and 40 kilohertz frequencies. Obviously the 800 also has many more options as far as settings go. My question is is the 800 simply a better machine for gold prospecting? and will a 600 perform just as well at finding gold jewelry? I'm not particularly into gold prospecting in the traditional sense but I do like Urban prospecting 4 jewelry. Will the 20 and 40 kilohertz frequencies be of any benefit in hunting for jewelry? Or will the 600 do just as well for the $400 less? I'm a poor man so if I can get a quality machine out of the 600 I'm all for it, but if the 800 is that much better then I'll fork over the $400 I guess LOL
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Part of this fine DP forum is sharing finds, stories and MD'ing knowledge.  So now you get your chance to help others and yourself.
      On a recent post started by GB, I was helping educate some of the people asking questions about certain finds at a Volleyball Court.  I then realized it might as well be it's own thread, so here it is.
      We (most of us) are stuck indoors right now, so what better thing to do, than self educate on your favorite hobby and the results will help you for the rest of you MD'ing carrier.
      I have 3 tasks for all of you who want to learn more about your detector, your own capabilities and your very important pinpointer, all in the attempt to find the elusive Diamond Stud Earring.
      #1. Try to find your wife/girlfriend gold diamond stud earring with your detector.  Be sure to tape it to a plastic poker chip 1st so you don't lose it.  Many detectors (even some in the $2500 and or price range) will miss most of them.  It might take some adjusting, but eventually some of your units might get it.  Listen to the signal width, see what it reads on the ID screen and notice how far off the ground your coil is (better have proper coil control) and then the target is no longer registering.  Once you teach yourself the capabilities of your detector, it will help you down the road at the beaches, volleyball courts and tot lots where some of these sparklers get lost.
      #2. Use your very important pinpointer to find the diamond stud.  If you have different models of pointers, test each to see which one perform best/worst.  This will help you down the road knowing which pinpointers are useless (for this task).
      #3. Post your results.  That's right, even you newbie hunters get you be an expert this time, because you actually took the test and not only learned from it, but are helping others who may not have access to a diamond stud.
      I've found my share of gold diamond stud earrings in years past, but it took many attempts before I got it right.  What's nice, is when you get a call to find it and there is a reward.  On 3 of my diamond stud finds, I was the 2nd person with a detector to look for it.  One of those rewards was $500, so knowing my detector and what is the best pointer for the task, sure helped.  Why did the others not find the stud?  They never practiced to find out how it responds to their detector or pointer.  Don't just assume it will beep like a coin or ring or even foil.
      I look forward to reading your results and hoping you'll realize the importance of detecting knowledge you just taught yourself.

• By Againstmywill
      So, last night was not four in a row night for gold. You can't win them all. 
      Nevertheless,  I detected a different spot on the football field. I have found the blue-tipped bullets before, but they were really the hot ticket last night. They came in a tight 16-17, so they are a must-dig.  Same settings as my other posts. 
      The 15" coil is able to get the small stuff as shown in one of the picks. There is part of a "Diamond" stud earring that sang to me as a solid 8-9. Crazy that it was able to pick that up as I'm swinging away at a recovery speed 7 to cover  a lot of ground before the lights go off on the field. Not much for change, only a little over $3. Lots of nickels, however.

• By GB_Amateur
      Finally made it to an old park I figured was hunted out.  As usual, there is no such thing.  This park has a sandy volleyball court which aerial photos indicated is over 50 years old.  Other than the (wooden, yay!) posts that the net is attached to there are no impediments.  Any advice on approach (e.g. coil choice, ground balance tricks, target depths to expect, target tones, TID's to accentuate/ignore) would be appreciated.

• By Againstmywill
      Yesterday's gold ring was found on the second dig of the day. Today's was literally the first dig of the day. It was in the grassy area where people sit and eat concession food by the fields I hunt around home. It was a 10-11 on the display, and I was using the same settings as yesterday. It is 14K.