Love For The Equinox 15" Coil

Nice find, but what type of quarterback would be wearing that?

What was the depth that it was at when you dug it up. I have had some shallow targets that rand up the same that I had passed on in the past. I really should be digging up those numbers, but am still new with the 800.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Nice find, but what type of quarterback would be wearing that?

What was the depth that it was at when you dug it up. I have had some shallow targets that rand up the same that I had passed on in the past. I really should be digging up those numbers, but am still new with the 800.

Thanks.

2 inches or so. There is a lot of other aluminum junk that falls into those numbers (9, 10, 11), but the way the ID locks onto a ring is a tipoff once you have dug enough of those numbers. In fact, if the ID numbers stay within a range of 2 numbers as you swing, make sure to dig it. If it bounces through 3 or more numbers, it will likely be junk. A 9 is not common, a 10 is often the flat piece of aluminum that gets pushed down when a can is opened, and an 11 is not common. All those numbers can be aluminum shards of some sort. Start digging those numbers if you want the smaller women's rings...the ones with diamonds.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

I knew it was a good possibility when I stopped to dig it based on the solid numbers and the tone.

I assume you mean the quality/consistency of the tone, not the audio frequency (pitch).

1 hour ago, Againstmywill said:

...a 10 is often the flat piece of aluminum that gets pushed down when a can is opened...

Hmmm.  I run Park1 and those annoying, nearly circular discs of aluminum ('punchouts') hit dead on 13 (uncorroded US nickel 5 cent TID, BTW) consistently for me.  I guess it could depend upon the size -- i.e. the can it comes from.  What search mode are you running?

Regardless, nice ring, and your attention to detail is what scored you this.  I almost certainly would have ignored it.

Most junk like aluminum can slag, pull rings etc generate unstable vdi's. Gold rings always seem to have a nicer smoother roll to them, more subtle than trash and nickels too on the machines I have used. That similar on the Nox?

Just now, kac said:

Most junk like aluminum can slag, pull rings etc generate unstable vdi's. Gold rings always seem to have a nicer smoother roll to them, more subtle than trash and nickels too on the machines I have used. That similar on the Nox?

For me, it seems like the rings produce a "hard, repeatable hit" vs. a "wimpy, choppy hit." The variability is key for my ears. Little to no variability means to dig, and not just these lower numbers.

• Like 3

The Kruzer hits hard on targets too but I have been relying on the repeatable numbers too.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, Againstmywill said:

For me, it seems like the rings produce a "hard, repeatable hit" vs. a "wimpy, choppy hit." The variability is key for my ears. Little to no variability means to dig, and not just these lower numbers.

I agree 100% and especially when detecting those same #'s in parks and fields.  

Very nice save my friend.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the gold!

No doubt about it the Equinox likes gold, in general it likes "pure" metals.  It loves silver too. 

I have the 15" coil and I was amazed that it separates and is able to work iron almost as well as the 11" coil.  I took it to a "worked out" stage stop that's gotten rather stingy over the years, and dug three seated silver dimes in one hunt using the 15" coil, I was amazed to say the least.  Not sure it gives a lot of extra depth, but it sure helps with ground coverage and it's not heavy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1