Jp’s Audio Visual Gold Thread

The pic below is a visual of how my ears  Interpretation of the signals from the Audio files. 

What I would personally like is #3 no thresh only solid signals. 

The problem with #1 vs #2 is that if you try to bring the thresh down to Zero or near it, the roundness of the solid signal will blend to close to the roundish thresh. Also the ground bitchness also peaks with a roundness. Ergo making it very hard for me to hear the peak.

So JP how do we get the signals to peak and have sharpness to them? Or, be very different then the thresh/ground noise?

20200316_201931.jpg

• Oh my! 1

15 hours ago, DigsAlot said:

The pic below is a visual of how my ears  Interpretation of the signals from the Audio files. 

What I would personally like is #3 no thresh only solid signals. 

The problem with #1 vs #2 is that if you try to bring the thresh down to Zero or near it, the roundness of the solid signal will blend to close to the roundish thresh. Also the ground bitchness also peaks with a roundness. Ergo making it very hard for me to hear the peak.

So JP how do we get the signals to peak and have sharpness to them? Or, be very different then the thresh/ground noise?

I’m not sure what you mean by no threshold, in your example are you lowering the volume till you only hear the louder responses?

I listen to the audio as a whole which is mainly threshold with natural variations dependant on localised variability then within that information I am specifically listening for a smooth lead in and tail out response that is repeatable, the High/How ones are more obvious but the Low/High are the pay day ones. The key is a broad change in pitch response that peaks above threshold volume then tails out back to threshold pitch and volume. In both audio samples you can hear that quite clearly with Sample B being the MUCH more obvious response thanks to the better coil. Both samples have a degree of channel flipping going on, a sure sign of a piece of gold being present in natural terrain.

Threshold and Threshold pitch are VERY important, 27 on the GPZ compliments the Audio Smoothing OFF mode, all my other settings defer to that. Threshold is your reference point and should be heard at all times, this is why I use conservative settings so that the “Bitchin” signals do not dominate the scene destroying my ability to pick the subtle repeatable wide pitch change variations. More is quite often less, in most cases setting the detector up to BANG in on a target that would have been obvious anyway can go against you. So IMHO the key is having the Threshold able to be heard clearly above all things, it is the PITCH change in the threshold that you are most sensitive to, magnifying all the little dross variations in the threshold will only cause fatigue and frustration. Getting the range of physical MOTION right in relation to a suspect target by training your ear to listen through the natural threshold variations for the repeatable smooth target signals is the key.

Do NOT overthink this, I am quite prepared to miss a piece of gold, I’ll get it next time. Instead be loose and relaxed and let yourself become one with the three input’s, eyes, ears and hands. If something sounds different approach it from different angles, move away from the target, its not going anywhere,😜 and allow your machine to average out the local conditions whilst at the same time allow your hearing to average out the “Bitchin” for the localised area as well then come in at the zone again. Visualise the ground where the signal is and play with the coil speed and height, does the signal hold in if the coil is lifted. Reset the GB by pumping the coil nearby (using Semi-Auto Mode but no Quick-Trak) then swing the coil left and right away from the target to average the GB again then come in over the target again referencing what you last heard. With practice this all becomes second nature.

JP

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I will have to play with some targets next time out.

Yes in example 3 I would drop thresh to Zero. I don't currently run that way. I am interested in giving it a try however.

The smooth round target signal is harder for to extract from the ground noise. What would you suggest to make it sharp more in your face type signal.

Thanks you for the detailed response JP.

Here’s some comparison audio of a typical initial gold signal response compared to when some soil has been removed, the second I hit this target I knew it was gold, it had a mellowness to it. The GPZ is not a sharp machine (which I love), so requires input from the operator to get target signals to stand out from the threshold. To my ear this one was an obvious signal that yelled gold right from the start, it was well rounded, had a decent amount of range of motion required to manifest properly and it sounded buried. 

If I get a subtle repeatable signal and it doesn’t improve a lot when surface clutter is removed I start to get excited, if it survives the next soil removal phase and still remains subtle then the excitement doubles. Buried is the key, in undisturbed ground if its buried the chances are like 80% of it being a good signal, on the surface in trashy areas its anyone’s guess.

JP

Note initially the signal has a slight bit of channel switching going on, a sure sign its gold.

Nugget that was making the signal, finished up at about 5 inches

6297350C-87D5-4649-B40D-1C48BFE0BA0F.thumb.jpeg.c0222d9c6fe5b4422026226ab9a32dbd.jpeg

• Like 3

Good example. The second part of the file after dirt is removed it very obvious and the type of signal I would hope it always makes. The first part would get my attention yes. However where I hunt the ground makes that very same signal including getting loud if soil is removed.

What tip can we use to discover the truth of the matter?

1 minute ago, DigsAlot said:

Good example. The second part of the file after dirt is removed it very obvious and the type of signal I would hope it always makes. The first part would get my attention yes. However where I hunt the ground makes that very same signal including getting loud if soil is removed.

What tip can we use to discover the truth of the matter?

OK, so you need to look to your settings. The GPZ is a very forgiving metal detector especially in highly mineralised dirt. The things the GPZ reacts to is saturation signal and salt. If you couple your coil to the ground and pull it away (assuming it it ground balanced) and a signal sounds off that is saturation. If you lift the coil away from the ground and continue it on up to above your shoulders and a signal is heard that is salt. The way to combat either of those is through sensitivity, and the modes. If either of those is affecting your ability to discern a target you really need to look to your settings and change accordingly. 

BTW be careful of the Volume control, it is really powerful if used incorrectly.

I have some footage hereabouts of the GPZ saturating quite badly in really variable dirt, I’ll throw it up to YouTube when I get a chance. 

JP

This is a video I’ve done to demonstrate the correct height you need to swing the coil over the ferrite when performing a ferrite balance. Looking from above it is very deceptive of the actual height the coil is in relation to the ferrite. The key is to get the coil in close but not scrape or rub the Ferrite. Some residual signal is OK but a large noise isn’t especially in high X ground.

Settings:

• Gold Mode: High Yield
  • Ground Type Mode: Difficult
  • Sensitivity: 9
  • Audio Smoothing: OFF
  • Threshold: 27
  • Ground Balance: Semi Auto
  • Quick-Trak: held in when swinging over Ferrite
  • Volume: 10 (was using the WM12 speaker for filming)
  • Threshold Pitch: 40

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it is just my Chromebook but most of the time I can't hear the YouTube when played through this website.  If I go to YouTube I can hear it fine.

Now I see there is a setting on the web address line that says mute or play that I had not seen before.

When you were swinging over the ferrite I noticed that the ferrite ring itself is not flat.  Do you try to position it the way you have it attached to the pole?