Jp’s Audio Visual Gold Thread

5 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Do NOT overthink this, I am quite prepared to miss a piece of gold, I’ll get it next time. Instead be loose and relaxed and let yourself become one with the three input’s, eyes, ears and hands. If something sounds different approach it from different angles, move away from the target, its not going anywhere,😜 and allow your machine to average out the local conditions whilst at the same time allow your hearing to average out the “Bitchin” for the localised area as well then come in at the zone again. Visualise the ground where the signal is and play with the coil speed and height, does the signal hold in if the coil is lifted. Reset the GB by pumping the coil nearby (using Semi-Auto Mode but no Quick-Trak) then swing the coil left and right away from the target to average the GB again then come in over the target again referencing what you last heard. With practice this all becomes second nature.

This is such a giant YES!

• Like 1

Hey, hey ... what did you say?  I didn't know there was a feature to turn off ALL sound on the detectorprospector.com or any other website.  Now I know.  I can even hear JPs recordings through this little cheap speaker but early this morning about 5 AM it sounded great on the headphones I use when detecting.

As they say in several different ways ... I didn't know what I was missing or now I know what I was missing, etc.

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

When you were swinging over the ferrite I noticed that the ferrite ring itself is not flat.  Do you try to position it the way you have it attached to the pole?

It is better if the Ferrite is flat, but in this instance it didn't matter because the coil was reacting so aggressively towards the ferrite anyway and could not be balanced out.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

FP for the GPZ 7000 is 9, that is a lot of sensitivity in reality and something I spent a lot of time on during development,

Much higher gain than that and I would not be hearing faint threshold variations anymore. Conservative settings work well for me but require a very focused hearing practice. Yet, this gives me better results than turning everything up into screaming mode 

That's an easy one to the trained ear but many people do in fact walk past those.  You are helping folks all over the word JP, so Job Well Done.

• Like 1

I often get asked what Saturation signal actually is, here is a video of a coil saturating badly on mineralised ground. With good coil control you can work places like this but it takes a lot of effort. 

JP

• Like 3

JP, If I may... Do you feel the urge to turn your threshold up (just a little) even higher in the later afternoon or on really windy days?  I do and it seems to help as I am always splitting hairs trying to keep the threshold smooth enough to hear those faint ones.

I have also found sites that the detector runs even more smooth when I night hunt.  My experience in summer is.. As the soil heats up from the rays of the sun, the ground seems to come more alive with unwanted sounds and my threshold will not be as smooth.  I seem to do best, when 1st hunting in morning and then late hunt just as the sun goes down.  Plus the night hunts were always good, but I did not know there were literally hundreds of scorpions out at night at Rye Patch.

For most certain at night your ears become even better tunes for slight change as the brain adjusts your senses and capabilities.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Yes boss, there you go with your quotes again, try using the site on a phone and you'll see how annoying that is 🙂 I'll ask elsewhere.  If JP didn't like my question he could easily ask me to move it, he doesn't need you running the show.

I agee it is hell to look at long quotes here - actually on any type of machine. I never got how that becomes a habit, but here it is.

On your other point, perhaps no one wants to take a chance on getting you cranky. :ph34r: