Jp’s Audio Visual Gold Thread

I'd say you'd be teaching us all a thing or two finding signals that deep.  Well done.

Having seen Chet work some areas in the past he uses your slow swing but maybe not your settings and he finds deep nuggets.

Aye I concur Extra Deeps no slouch, manual GB & pump to GB, the Z is a remarkable productive machine, look outside the square.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 1:42 AM, RedDirtDigger said:

Thankyou JP for sharing your knowledge and the large amount of time you have put into videos, clear explanations.

With a zed with 14 & 19 i have been chasing bigger deeper nuggies  in extra deep. I have recently slowed my swing speed down to incredibly Very very slow when gold is around and i seem to be able to get signals i miss with a slow swing speed. Not sure if i am imagining it

How slow is too slow for optimal signal response for deeper targets??? Is there a general guide for faster to slower swing speed relative to settings/ gold depth?

cheers RDD

Hi RDD, Are you using Normal or Difficult? Extra deep samples much later than the other two Gold Modes so in Difficult there is a fairly large reduction in signal on fast time constant targets, this is gathered back somewhat in the Normal Ground Type mode. Also it would help if I knew how your setting up your GPZ settings wise and the method of listening to the audio.

JP

11 hours ago, RedDirtDigger said:

Yep they do, mainly smaller nuggets 1-3 grams at a foot or so (a swap to high yield resulted in no or weak signal

Thanks for sharing, RDD. Another example of how HY/high gain settings can miss targets

13 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Hi RDD, Are you using Normal or Difficult? Extra deep samples much later than the other two Gold Modes so in Difficult there is a family large reduction in signal on fast time constant targets, this is gathered back somewhat in the Normal Ground Type mode. Also it would help if I knew how your setting up your GPZ settings wise and the method of listening to the audio.

JP

Im using mostly difficult, thres 27, sens 12-15, smooth off, ss300 phones straight from wm. ( steelphase put a hum in the phones so i not use for now). I use 19 coil when ground depth/gold finds prompt me.

Above seem to work well on very slow swing speed, happy for you to suggest better options for deeper targets on worked ground old patches

i have tried different settings but not enough over undug targets to work out what is superior.

RDD

2 hours ago, RedDirtDigger said:

Im using mostly difficult, thres 27, sens 12-15, smooth off, ss300 phones straight from wm. ( steelphase put a hum in the phones so i not use for now). I use 19 coil when ground depth/gold finds prompt me.

Above seem to work well on very slow swing speed, happy for you to suggest better options for deeper targets on worked ground old patches

i have tried different settings but not enough over undug targets to work out what is superior.

RDD

Sorry to be a pain, but what is your Volume set to on the bottom right of the Detect page?

JP

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Sorry to be a pain, but what is your Volume set to on the bottom right of the Detect page?

JP

Vol is 7 or 8. GB auto, going to manual via user if getting gold and happy with detector stability. The main spots i detect have complex vertical dipping bedrock that changes beds every 50 metres with lots of iron rich volcanics and shales. I try detect along strikes to lessen my ground variation.

Extra Deep is a later sampling timing that has good depth on slow time constant targets. The advantage of the Gold Mode is it’s very effective at removing a LOT of Salt signal and also near to surface ground signal response (both variability and Saturation signals), as such even though the target signal can be reduced a lot compared to other modes the actual deep target signal can stand out from the threshold enough to be recognisable. 

In effect you are doing a similar thing to using the Motion filter (Audio Smoothing) but in a more refined way because the timing is complete across the target size spectrum relative to what makes it through the delay. 

The other advantage of using Extra Deep is it has VERY good immunity to microphonic’s when the coil is rolled across hard pebbles and comes into contact with woody sticks, you’d be amazed how much information is lost due to variability in the threshold because of this effect especially in General Difficult. In the Normal modes it’s not noticed so much because the timing is more agressive and agile so the variability in the threshold masks the signals.

IMHO the ground Tracking is better in Extra deep than it is in General, there is way less up and down signal in High Yield and Extra deep compared to General, noise from coil raising and lowering has a really big impact on subtle target signals in the General mode especially in Difficult. 

Finally the range of motion of the coil is extremely important when chasing deep signals especially the ones that barely make it through the delay, it would pay to not sweep over a suspect target too often in any sort of tracking because the resultant remainder Eddie current after the delay will be right on the edge of detection. Interestingly I find the target response of some gold does not always get determined by how much actual weight of gold is present but is more to do with surface area relative to depth, getting the combination right can bring a surprising amount of gold to light, just be aware there will be some targets that are lost to the late sampling.

JP 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

JP,

I can read what you say and believe what you say but I can also see that it would be a hard concept for me actually hear.

Of course to the trained ear these concepts and descriptions have meaningful responses associated with concepts.  I would liken it to bird watching.  If your ears are good and you hear a sound or a bird you have never seen then you are without a clue until you see it or see a dead one or someone else shows you or teaches you.

I'd have to take a chance on setting the Zed up in a certain way and just dig everything, not knowing what I am hearing.  Any repeatable is a digger!

Mitchel