Jp’s Audio Visual Gold Thread

Some of my most memorable days have been in the remote east pilbara in wa when i have walked onto really old raked areas  (maybe with a dozen old 9volt batteries laying around). Gold everywhere deeper down and downslope some bigger slugs that the vlf machines from that first detector rush could not hope to hear.

Tip, When you find more then a few old batteries laying around on the goldfields have a good look around....and pick up batteries.

308F20A7-D327-4F3B-9E03-253A1EA12431.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’ve talked a lot about the differences between High Yield Difficult and General Difficult in the past but still find people tend to stick to High Yield because it offers more regular gold finds. If I‘m using the GPZ19 coil I am almost always in General because to justify swinging such a large coil I‘m solely chasing a decent sized chunk at depth in deep worked ground. The target signal differences are quite astounding especially when the size of the target increases. 

The following is some audio I captured on my hunt yesterday where I targeted a well worked gully that has produced a lot of gold (the area was too tight for the GPZ19 so was using the smaller coil). The aim was to single out in General Difficult at least one deep target that had been missed, I was quite prepared to go without and go home gold-less, such is the nature of this style of detecting but the rewards are right up there for satisfaction when everything comes together.  

I didn’t win on this one but that type of disappointment goes with the territory. 🥴 

If you look to the right of the picture there are a lot of rocks thrown out on the bank near the tree, they came out of the hole while I was digging, that should give you an idea of the depth. Audio was captured after the loose surface material was removed and the target signal developed.

4FFF27FB-5D69-469B-8205-2FAF65402AE6.thumb.jpeg.e0f45d55e79e624ba195bf3bbd2945b5.jpeg754B018B-4082-4B84-9A5A-969B417628CD.thumb.jpeg.d76262aa34946055dc0bb468132b8aca.jpeg5DADE556-1547-492F-BC98-24D20C65653A.thumb.jpeg.1a26d2493b7fbfe78e8e57c7d6b4dfe0.jpeg

• Like 3

Re (but still find people tend to stick to High Yield because it offers more regular gold finds.) 

people.... That's me.....

I run HY/Difficult  with Locate patch

Have read that I should run HY/Normal with Locate Patch for best results (and I should try other combos prior to digging up a signal).

JP any comments  re  HY/Normal with Locate Patch and..... HY/Difficult  with Locate patch

Ditto General with Locate Patch

Thanks

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, PeterInSa said:

Re (but still find people tend to stick to High Yield because it offers more regular gold finds.) 

people.... That's me.....

I run HY/Difficult  with Locate patch

Have read that I should run HY/Normal with Locate Patch for best results (and I should try other combos prior to digging up a signal).

JP any comments  re  HY/Normal with Locate Patch and..... HY/Difficult  with Locate patch

Ditto General with Locate Patch

Thanks

Peter

I’m not a fan of the Ground Smoothing modes they make the Threshold way too jittery for my liking and they cost outright depth. Ground Smoothing is akin to Recovery on an Equinox and Motion mode on a GPX, it means you can increase the swing speed and still get a signal response on shallow gold with the added benefit of reducing Conductive signals (Salt signals) which the GPZ is prone to.

Calling it Locate Patch can be a bit literal but the idea behind it is to allow a faster detection speed when scooting about looking for that first nugget. Locate Patch mode tends to make the target signals much more swing dependant so I find the GPZ becomes quite picky getting iffy signals to stand out.

Normal timings do help somewhat in speeding things up target wise and are more prone to conductive ground, because they tend to give more feedback audio wise (are livelier in their overall response) some of the jittery-ness of Patch is hidden but the deeper broader signals will suffer somewhat, so I would not advise its use unless the conductive signals are problematic. 

Because the GPZ uses Super D coils the target signal tends to be a slower more mellow response, especially on the deeper gold, this means the swing needs to be more ‘considered’ compared to a faster coil like a Monoloop, as such speeding up the Motion filter tends to just increases noise levels (increases brain fatigue) and make target signals more narrow and harder to zone in on.

JP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1