Large Cent With The Multi Kruzer

Bored silly with my states lock down on covid 19, I decided to go out to a place close to my house and run the MK with the 9 inch today and test out my home made detector stand. I was out for about 4 hours and found a bunch of clad and a fake diamond earring. Then I decided to dig every signal that I passed up before to test the 9 inch even more. 25+ pulltabs later I got a good nickle sound in the 60's. I dug a small hole pushed the pointer in and at about 3 inches was the large cent. I thought it was an oddly corroded 1/2 dollar. It was about 6 inches from the edge of a parking lot. It turns out it is an 1821 or 1827, hard to tell, I can just make out a 182- maybe 1 or 7. This was a great week for me. Might go out tomorrow if the wife allows. By the way the stand works great no dead dog detector anymore. Guess I'm not getting the battery pack now!!

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

• Like 5

I like that stand, was looking at the kick stand one they sell.

Good run you had with the large cent. Schools closed here so been going through one the soccer fields that no one has hit for some reason. Used to be a farm before 1959 but they had re-did it in the mid 70's. There is a can line around 6"-8" down so got a hunch might be some older stuff deeper.

Virus keeps going think everyone will have their local parks and tot lots picked clean!

• Like 2

I'll make you one if your interested? hardest part was finding the thread pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogodog said:

I got a good nickle sound in the 60's. I dug a small hole pushed the pointer in and at about 3 inches was the large cent.

Great find!  Most interesting, IMO, is the depressed TID.  US large cents (uncorroded...) are pure copper.  This along with their size makes them signal with very high TID's.  That is, until the chemical corrosion takes over.  We can wonder how long that coin has been in the ground.  Given that small cents replaced large cents prior to the US Civil War, 1 1/2 centuries seems like a reasonable guess.  That's a lot of time for the chemicals in the soil to do their dirty work.

"So, what'd you find today?"  (response:)  "Bunch of modern coins, and oh, I almost forgot, a penny minted nearly 200 years ago."  :laugh:

• Like 2

Holding something almost 200 years old is really a great feeling. Makes you wonder who's purse that fell out of. I also dug a 12'' brass sundial out of this field, not sure how it got there.

I'm gonna check out the kick stand one they got, trouble i run into is snagging up on stuff. I usually put the detector cuff across my leg when I squat down, got used to that when using my Tejon because the battery boxes are under the cuff and not waterproof.

I have found coins that are younger in worse condition but the areas where near roadside where there was fertilizers for the grass as well as road salt. Best looking copper and copper alloy coins I have found were always in the woods. Pine forests the coins tend to be shallow, maple and oaks they tend to be deeper.

• Like 1

The one I made spins perpendicular to the shaft when moving. A quick spin and its ready to go. It only measures 10'' across, most time I don't even spin it out of the way. my soil near my house is really acidic for some reason, but other areas seem fine. I wanted to get a better idea of the date but i'm scared to clean it.

• Like 1