Detecting A Sandy Volleyball Court?

8 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Are you talking about gold mode?

Yes.  The reason I call it Prospecting Mode and not Gold Mode....  I've sold over 200 NOX units across the US and many folks wanted the 800 model so they can hunt GOLD RINGS. , but there is no raw natural gold in their region.  The NOX 600 does not have the Gold Mode and so they felt the 600 will not find rings.  So wrong they are, as a gold ring is just as easy to detect with both models.  So with many folks not realizing it, I call the Gold Mode what it is meant to be...a Prospecting Mode.

Here are some NOX 600 gold jewelry finds as it does just as well for ring hunters as the 800.  Part of why I get so many referrals on detector sales, is I try to get the customer what I feel is the best bang for the buck detector.  When comparing the 600 to the 800 and you live back East with no natural gold, why pay $250 more for wireless headphones?  Yes I realize there are some advanced fine tuning and I know most folks never go there...let along even know how to get there in the detector.  Minelab did a stunner job of making great adjustments and settings for the Factory Preset Modes which will suite the majority of users.

EQ6Ame.jpg

EQ6As.JPG

EQ6Bme.jpg

EQ6Cme.jpg

EQ6Dme.jpg

EQ6Eme.jpg

EQ6H.jpg

20200307_092120.jpg

CancunW1.jpg

CancunW2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Is there a can line there? One of the first things I check for is can line and how old is the clad. Can line indicates the grounds had been re-done, often first 6" or so scraped away and new loam or sod rolled in. I also do a dig all in a few areas to find the cruddiest coins which are the ones that had been there the longest and find the newest of the bunch. This gives me an idea of about when.

One of the local parks here has several ball fields. The oldest had been removed and replaced with another about 200 yards away. Found some IH's where the old one was. Other ones are constantly being re-done except one that somehow had an 1877 seated sitting about 2" down in the hard pack.

There is a soccer field at one of the local schools that no one has seemed to have hit, Clad there is mid 70's, trash and can line 6-8" down. It used to be an old old farm at one time so with some slow searching I may find some deep coins but I can't do a dig all there as I could get tossed out. I try to leave no traces when hitting parks.

The Volley Ball court might have some old sand there or it could have been done over many times. Doesn't sound like a huge area so dig all non iron might be the best choice. Curious if there is a trash line.

• Like 2

GB,  I am so fortune to have the job I do.  Over 25 yrs ago I started selling metal detectors and as the industry has shifted from small Ma/Pa shops to Mail Order, Big K warehouses and Amazon, I realized the need for personal touch and trying to build a relationship with my customer.  Since I use, sell, test and compare so many brands and models...and travel all over the place for many styles of detecting, it gives me knowledge most of the mentioned sites do not have.  Plus, it is me who actually answers the phone each day and me who emails answers to the questions I get all the time.  Yes it's time consuming, but at least I know I tried to offer more detector knowledge than the average dealer.  If my customer is Successful with the detector they purchased from me, then I usually have a customer for life and they are willing to refer folks my way.  By no means am I saying I'm the best know it all dealer and I would never say that.  But not many dealers went on 15+ individual week long hunts to 7 states and 4 different countries in the last year.

After all, I get to swing, use, and talk detectors for a living and I also realize some of my input will help others in the hobby I so much love.

In reality, how many people know what the average diamond stud earring sounds like or reads on the NOX?  I do, and I also know what pin pointer works best when trying to find that tiny gold and glitter in a grass soccer field.

• Like 2

Gerry,

Since you brought it up, which pinpointer do you recommend?  I currently use a Whites TRX & Fisher F-pulse.  I always respect your comments & appreciate your helpful knowledge based responses.  Thanks!

• Like 1

How about a flip flop Ha Ha, Hope you find a couple of those dingler dangler things, and if if you do please post some photo's. Just be careful, The sand sometimes is not that deep. I got in a little trouble once for digging too deep. best of luck.

On baseball diamonds and tot lots with wood chips I push the top layer aside, get my find then push the top layer back so it doesn't have that dirt below showing. My digger makes a nice plug or flap and I use a piece of rubber roofing cut 12x12 as a dig mat to put any soil on rather than leave dirt on top of the grass. The rubber mat works good because it seems to not blow around easily and is waterproof. Use it to kneel on sometimes if the grass is wet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joel said:

Gerry,

Since you brought it up, which pinpointer do you recommend?  I currently use a Whites TRX & Fisher F-pulse.  I always respect your comments & appreciate your helpful knowledge based responses.  Thanks!

Joel,  Pinpointers are like detectors and each has strong and or weak points.  Do me a favor please.  Get one of your wife or girlfriends diamond stud earrings and do the test on your 2 pointers and give us the update.  This will help you, me and many other people as some folks feel since I sell detectors, I have a bias.  After you provide your results, I'll then mention mine.  Hope you understand and thanks for respecting my input on other subjects and or posts.

• Like 1

Gerry,

Well that was interesting.  The TRX would respond intermittently about an 1/8" from tip at highest setting.  The F-pulse did not pick it up at all.  I then brought out the EQ800 and could not get a good signal in any setting (air test) sensitivity was only at 10 due to being inside the house (did do noise cancel).  I was using the wife's stud earring only, no backing piece.

IMG_20200319_084158065.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F Pulse didn't find that at all? Did you try to move it really slow too? Curious because I have been looking at different PI pointers.

I have 2 now, an old Whites Bullseye that the on button fell apart so I put in a toggle switch. I use that quite a bit still especially in coin shooting because you just turn it on and go without any calibration routine. The toggle switch also is just easier to flick on and off. It does't false out or react with any of my detectors. The Bullseye lacks depth so it isn't all that great for relic hunting where you have to poke through a larger hole or mound of dirt.

My other pointer is the ML Pro-Find 35. The PF has very good depth, iron detection is handy when fishing for a find through rust to get the coin. What I hate about it is this is my 3rd one under warranty. It is incredibly unstable and constantly reacts with all my detectors except the AT Pro. It requires you to go through a calibration routine every time you start it and if you lay it down it you have to turn it off then turn it on. I got used to making a hole so I can stand the pointer in it as I dig.

• Thanks 1

Kac,

I tried the tip and along the sides of the F pulse with no luck.  I did try it on other gold earrings & rings and got good results?  I also have a Gold Digger Land or Sea model which also did not register. Maybe it has stainless steel as a base metal?  In normal usage the TRX gives me good depth and accuracy.

Update: I did some more experimenting with the EQ800.  I moved to another room bumped the sensitivity up to 15 and it would detect the original stud in Park 2, Gold 1 & best signal in Gold 2 mode.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1