Other Coils For SDC 2300

An interesting thread on an OZ forum on interchanging coils.

Lots of back and forth, some misinformation - the Ismael - a long tome modifier of ML PI machines, chimes in and says - "no problem"!

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t22372-coil-question-for-the-sdc-2300#216436

• Like 1

Thanks Rick. Very interesting.

I think, right or wrong, that the SDC is what it is and it does a very good job at doing what it does the way it is. It is the tool for that particular job. If a guy needs a PI with interchangeable coils...then buy one. As an SDC user I have often wished for a larger coil to get more depth, but not at the cost of possibly damaging a machine that works extremely well for it's intended purpose (I bought it knowing what it's purpose was and that it only had one coil). My hope is that ML will introduce a "SDC-like" machine that will be designed from the get go with interchangeable coils. All that being said though, I will follow that thread and see where they go with it. Hopefully, like Steve's ATX project, it will get Minelabs attention and they will design a "SDC" with interchangeable coils.

Dean

Ha, I kind of have a different thought on coil changing.

Lets say one goes and buys a new detector, first day out finds gold

second time out finds gold (boy are we dreaming) ect. ect.

Now why would ya even think about buying a new coil?

Which leads me to think, when you see a detector for sale with a

half dozen coils with it, they never found gold in the first place.

PS: Am I right or am I wrong?

Ivan
  • Like 1

My main question about whether this is practical concerns the probable extremely short pulse delay of the SDC, which has been speculated as being around 8 μseconds. Not many coils will work right at that short a pulse delay.

• Like 1

Ivan- Maybe that's why I feel like I do. I find gold with the SDC just about every time out. Now, is there more lurking down there just out of reach of my fixed stock coil? Perhaps.. And this is where a larger coil would be nice. Or, you bring in a different machine that was designed for multiple/ larger coils, as Rick just pointed out, and check it out.

Dean  

I'm sure the current SDC can be made with a much better user design. Vast majority of the time (99.9%) I don't need a heavy waterproof metal detector. The SDC, should be a little heavier than a GB2 and easy to swing...I hope ML is working on the Dry Land Base Model SDC for the 99% of us that use it on dry land...don't care about a bigger coil. It finds plenty of gold with current 8" coil.

Rick

• Like 4

Ivan- Maybe that's why I feel like I do. I find gold with the SDC just about every time out. Now, is there more lurking down there just out of reach of my fixed stock coil? Perhaps.. And this is where a larger coil would be nice. Or, you bring in a different machine that was designed for multiple/ larger coils, as Rick just pointed out, and check it out.

Dean  

So just what would make you happy? 

post-411-0-45273000-1440963509_thumb.jpg

Or this

post-411-0-09107300-1440963546_thumb.jpg

LOL!

Oh no, that's not what I'm after. I like the SDC and the coil it comes with. That was my point. I think Lucky said it better than I.

I love the SDC for it's simplicity and effectiveness. Instead of slapping on a coil that may or may not work, and that was certainly not designed for the machine, use a different machine. It would be great if ML would do as Lucky suggested.  

Dean