phrunt

Three In My Bottle With The 10" X-coil :)

And here I was thinking you were still running your 12" coil :rolleyes:. Might be something in using the 10" in this shallowish  bedrock area . 12" coil has equaled one piece of gold for you on each of the previous 3 missions at this spot, where as the first time you used the 10" you get three pieces of gold. I think that is telling you something. I know we have been told that the 12" being spiral wound is as sensitive, if not more so, & gets better depth than the 10". I have used the 12" on occasions but always end up back with the 10". So what are your thoughts now on 12" versus 10"?

These are my thoughts. Deeper ground maybe for the 12"  but I am picking that because the areas we are going to have been thrashed with all makes & models of detectors over the years that the bigger deeper gold has long gone to detectors & coils that were good already at doing that. The difference I feel is that the combination we are using now is like a good VLF gold detector on steroids. Getting this smaller gold at insane depths that was beyond earlier equipment.

Good luck out there

JW 🤠   

• Like 6

You noticed the difference in our picks but not the different coil 🙂

I think the 12" is just as sensitive, I was digging bucket loads of small junk using the 12" but it's a bit big for the terrain we were in, the smaller the coil the better that's for sure. 

The 10" on the GPZ is like running a super deep Gold Monster though and that was proven to me with the bit I completely missed with the Equinox on the path area that the GPZ with 10" pinged on easily. I am 100% certain I passed over the exact spot with the Equinox and missed it.  I've noticed yesterday the GPZ really prefers the coil to be right on the ground.  When I had the faint signal that turned into that thin bit of gold on it's edge unless I scrubbed the ground prior to scraping the signal was not there, scrubbing the ground it was.  I've still got lots to learn on the GPZ but every time I use it I pick up a few things.

The first bit I found I can attribute to an audio file JP put up about finding faint targets the other day, at first pass it was such a faint little break in the threshold I would never even consider thinking it was gold, that audio file made me think to check signals like that which I'd normally not do..... I was just detecting that area so slowly trying to find any change in threshold as I knew gold was in that spot from the previous bits there.  I could never check signals like that on a day to day basis as I'd be wasting my time as they are everywhere but because I knew this spot had gold and I was going so slowly trying to find some there and it paid off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I've noticed yesterday the GPZ really prefers the coil to be right on the ground.  When I had the faint signal that turned into that thin bit of gold on it's edge unless I scrubbed the ground prior to scraping the signal was not there, scrubbing the ground it was. 

That is the same no matter what detector/coil combination one uses. You can not get any closer to buried gold than scrubbing the ground. More so with our small gold on the fringe of detection that has been missed by previous equipment. That is what your skid plates are for. If you are getting erratic false signals continuously that you are audibly unable to handle, driving you nuts, or distinguish from a target signal, then something needs to be adjusted or toned down.

JW 🤠 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

then something needs to be adjusted or toned down

No, people just need to stop shooting shot guns 🙂  Almost always the little faint ones are damn buried pelllets!  The scape or two and they're gone trick is working for me though, I'm only digging the deeper pellets now or ones that have fallen down into cracks in the bedrock.  I'm running my gain on 20 at the moment, I might tone it down to 16 or so over time, still experimenting.

I concur with JW, the X12" spiral is a up beaut coil with outstanding depth, but the Z/X10" combo in experienced hands is a pure dynamite combo. I pick it  for shallow bony ground whether quiet or variable hot ground for cleanup, no other combo I`ve used before comes near it. 

• Like 2

Dang Phrunt,  You are becoming pretty proficient with the detector coils and tools.  Even getting good with the video and pics too. I'll learn some from you and hopefully help you too with a tip.  

I love my Garrett Carrot pointer for almost all uses except tiny nuggets in bedrock and chasing diamond stud earrings.  Try the new White's TRX pointer when you get a chance as it has greater Sensitivity to small low conductor items.  Yes it is 100% waterproof and 3 level adjustable SENS too.  Runs on 2 AA's or a single 9 volt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gerry, just getting out there learning and enjoying doing it.  It feels a big change going from the GPX to the GPZ.  They are fairly different detectors I think and I'm working my way through learning it, getting there, baby steps 🙂  Once you find your first bits of gold things start to fall into place.  Confidence is often the biggest hurdle.

I invested in a Whites TRX late last year, I did buy it off Ebay as there are no Whites dealers in New Zealand and I am hoping it's not a fake but I didn't find it any better on small targets.  I will go back and look who I bought it from and see if they are possibly a dodgy seller.  When my Carrot picks up a nugget I know it's going to be a good one 🙂

• Like 1

Simon,

Glad to see you posting more hunts as that means that your back is improving.

Lets keep you healthy so everyone can enjoy your finds again.

Great hunt, but don't over do it.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

No, people just need to stop shooting shot guns 🙂  Almost always the little faint ones are damn buried pelllets! 

Pellets are still a target signal & not a false signal like I was referring to. False signals can be any number of things, only when you chase them there is nothing tangible there. A ghost signal. Like EMI, which comes from many sources. Could be your cellphone if it isn't turned off, an airplane flying overhead, powerlines, electric fence, cars driving past. Yes I have been detecting that close to roads that that is a problem. I guess it is there alternators. Solar influence used to be a problem with my PI's but not the Zed. EMI & electrical interference is usually pretty easy to pic as it has a rhythmic pulse & can be worked with if not too severe. A target signal can still be picked out among it with careful & precise coil control over the target area.

I guess the most common false signal is ground noise, which we don't generally suffer from or coil bump sensitivity. Pellets for us is just all part of chasing the small tiny gold & all part of the territory.

Good luck out there

JW 🤠 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I have ordered a new size X-coil, it's a 12x8" X-Coil,  It's already in the post however it's delayed in shipping due to international shipping delays the world over.  Hopefully this coil arrives soon. I am very excited about it as I think it will be the perfect size for NZ.
      It's even in NZ's black and white colours.

This should be good in our rocky terrain on small gold.

• By phrunt
      I haven't had a chance to go prospecting since our lock down ended a few weeks ago, once lock down ended I was busy catching up on everything that couldn't be done in lock down 🙂 NZ has done a stellar job in eradicating the virus so our lives are essentially back to normal now except for no International tourists which in our part of the country are a big part of our economy.  We haven't had any new cases in some time and there is now only one person left in the entire country that is in quarantine with the virus. 

The one case left is on the North Island, so no problem for me down the bottom of the South Island 🙂  Every morning lately has been a heavy frost so I was intending to do my gold hunt in the afternoon once the ground thaws out.

This was my yard before I left.  A bit chilly 🙂
      It was good to get out prospecting again, my wife and daughter wanted to tag along as they were going to ride their bikes along the cycle trails in the area so my day was limited, I only had a couple of hours.  We parked up and I walked to my usual spot and showed them where I'd be so they could come back and find me.  My first target was a shotgun pellet, damn it, I'd forgotten they existed, I had a hard enough time remembering how to use my detector it's been so long 🙂
      I was then walking across to the spot I wanted to have a snoop around and on my walk there I got a signal, it wasn't a booming target and it sounded too good to be a shotgun pellet.  I dug the surface away and the signal was still there, looking positive, it was at this point I took a quick video in case I was lucky enough that after only about 15 minutes I had my first nugget.
      I wasn't too sure on this one as the spot where it was located didn't really feel right, not the usual place we'd been finding gold around this spot so I turned the video off and started the recovery, possibly expecting a deep old bullet shell or something.    It was a really scrubby area too, lots of prickle bushes and old sticks everywhere.  In all of my excitement of my first find of the day I didn't even get a photo of the area, but the video shows it.  I had to dig a fair way down to get to my target, It was stuck in some layers of the rock which I had to smash out to get to it.

A decent size too! woohooo, what a start.  I like when they're big enough my Carrot narrows them down.

Just after I'd found the nugget I was rechecking the area and heard a bike pull up, it was JW, we hadn't seen each other in some time due to the lock down but he'd been coming to this spot again the last few weeks once lock down ended.  We had a chat then got stuck back into it, he went to his usual spot where he's been doing very well, and I went back exploring the side I've been attacking.
      No good targets for about 40 minutes now then in between some bedrock I had another nice sounding target that survived a few scrapes of the pick, always promising.

These small coils are just brilliant for our hunting grounds here, the smaller the coil the better, the small 10" X-coil has brought this old hunted out area back to life as you can get into all these little tight spots and it paid off again, the coil only just fit between these rocks too, there is still a lot of ground the 10" is too big for but it does get a majority of it.

I'm no photographer 🙂 but in the shadow in front of my coil is the dig hole, right between the two rocks.  A bigger coil would have missed this gold.

The bedrock is shallow here but I have done this ground with the Equinox a few times and missed this piece.  If you look hard you'll see the crack in the bedrock where it was.

And the nugget, typical sort of nugget for this area, all water worn looking smooth bits even though none of the rocks around the area are rounded water worn rocks.  
      A few more junk targets and my phone dinged, it was my wife saying shes done bike riding and was on her way back to collect me so I walked over to see how JW was doing.  I had heard him banging away at the rock for ages while I was detecting around so I assumed he'd done well.  When I arrived he was digging out a big hole in the bedrock cliff face, all the soil was out of the crack and he was breaking apart the rock with his screw driver and hammer. So far he had one bit of gold but another signal was in there, so we tried to use my Carrot to narrow it down, no luck so he kept smashing away.

He had created that big hole, the big bit of rock at the bottom of the photo was from the hole, the rest were thrown down the side off the cliff.

After smashing some more up and trying to find it he still had no luck so we tried the Carrot again,  this time it picked it up, real good. It sure helped speed up the recovery.

A big one too! Carrot detectable size again.  Unusual to get biggish ones and now we've both got one!
      He checked the hole again, and another signal

A tiny one!, Rechecked again...... another signal, unbelievable.  A lot more smashing out of the rock and out it pops

The hole was getting bigger and bigger

And more kept popping out.  My wife and daughter arrived on their bikes now to collect me so I called them over to see the hole that keeps giving, it still had a signal in it now that we were working on recovering, each target as needing more rock smashed out

This 10" Coil can really pick up some incredibly small nuggets.
      And they just kept coming, my family were watching on with interest.  More nuggets kept coming out then JW checked the soil and crumbled up rocks that came out of the hole and more signals, all over the place

Absolutely nuts, what a hole!

All from that one hole,all were in the rock needing smashed out.  I had a ball helping with that recovery, 13 nuggets at 1.8 grams total weight.  JW said yesterday he found a similar hole on the same cliff face with 10 pieces in it.

And my total, sorry for the glary photo, was taken at night once I got home, and the houses LED lights mess up photos.  0.865 grams for 2 nuggets, 0.76 of that is the big one.
      I really love the small GPZ X-coils, I can not wait for my 12x8" X-coil to arrive as it may get into the spots the 10" coil can't.
    • By dogodog
      A couple of days ago I returned to a late 18th century homestead that has been disappointing in the past. I've always felt like there was something good to be found around the house, but the best I could do were a few wheaties and a ton of iron and aluminum. I had about an hour and decided to hit it again. Same old thing right before I left I found a 41 wheat 6 inches under a 2 inch piece of flagstone walkway (thought that was great). A day went by and while building a pergola in my back yard and nearly cutting part of my thumb in half, I had enough of construction and decided to go back one more time before leaving that place on my do not return list. I found the usual iron, aluminum and trash. Then I dug an old Larkins cold cream lid and some other cool stuff and felt like things were getting better. About 40 minutes later I decided to hunt the old front yard very close to the road, I never hit this section before. Lots and lots of aluminum so I moved to the old rotten front entry with more flagstone. It seemed amazingly quite until I got a 28-32, hit odd numbers for me but it was very strong. I started digging on another crappy target, so I thought and at about 6 inches I found a 1908 Indian head 2 1/2 dollar gold coin!!!!!!! I'm a pretty strong fellow but I almost teared up from joy. I doubt that I will ever top this find and would be happy with just that. Needless to say I might have to hit the old site just a few more times. I hope all of you enjoy seeing the coin as much as I do.