X Coils In Gb, Scrounging For Missed Nugs

The quality of posts on this forum has skyrocketed lately, great read Jasong.😎 I agree about the elliptical, its best for more open areas where coverage is paramount compared to tighter spots.

JP 

• Like 1

I tend to agree with Jason on the 17x12 X-Coil, I've come to some similar conclusions about the tip sensitivity.  As I mentioned awhile back, I felt I was losing targets with a side to side sweep and had better success pushing the front section between the windings at suspected target signals.  The hottest section seemed to be a full 2 inches off the edge directly between the windings.  If that's the case and you're losing 2 inches off the front and 2 inches off the back, you're not pushing at 17" long coil.  

I've found some tiny gold with the 17" round, but it tends to be much more dense and lack the porosity that Jason is experiencing with his Gold Bug.  I'm headed to the desert for some social distancing and detecting tomorrow so I'll give that 17" round a good workout.  Hopefully, I can get over some deep targets and make a few recordings for the shut-ins.

Tally Ho

• Like 5

Yep, geometry/composition definitely makes all the difference when it comes to the small ones. I tested an invisible dink on the 10" with 24 threshold and smoothing off just to make sure the settings weren't it, and it was still totally inaudible even touching the coil.  Yet I can hear a solid piece almost half it's weight 1" away like it's a great signal. It happens with bigger nuggets too, but just not nearly as pronounced. For this porous, quartz laden type gold I found the GB2 generally gets better depth on stuff up to 0.15 to 0.20 grams or so from my rudimentary rebury testing (highly variable depending on geometry and how much quartz/hematite is in it), which is roughly what I was seeing in the field too. As JW and others have shown, the 10" can outperform a VLF on the more solid type of small gold though. 

17 hours ago, Condor said:

I'm headed to the desert for some social distancing and detecting tomorrow so I'll give that 17" round a good workout. 

Hope you snag some nice ones. I'm looking forward to your post, the best of my success in AZ has come with that coil and I'm curious to see the results from others here in AZ too.

• Thanks 1

That was great. A clear lesson on why you work the way you do, and where you do. I am also impressed with the thoughts on the 17" coil. I am conflicted though, I still think I'm gonna wait to see what NF comes up with later in the summer (if they can continue manufacturing), I like the idea of not having to f%$& with the cable. 

Thank you for taking the time. It is always appreciated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I am conflicted though, I still think I'm gonna wait to see what NF comes up with later in the summer (if they can continue manufacturing), I like the idea of not having to f%$& with the cable. 

I hear you Flak, I'll be eagerly trying one of the NF offerings out next year too. They look thinner and even lighter than the X Coils from the early photos. I'm down with whatever product works the best. 

I will say, I hope NF keyed into Chet's cable mod and make their coil cables like that. When you switch coils out 3 or 4 times every day it becomes clear that the GPZ wasn't really designed for a lot of coil changing what with where the connector is located and the clunky design of the control box opening mechanism. So much nicer the way Chet has his set up.

9 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Glad to hear & see it from someone of your caliber & respect in the detecting community.

Aww man, don't make me blush. I am definitely not high on the respect rung in the local AZ detecting community as a lot of people here actually dislike me quite a bit, but I appreciate the compliment. :biggrin: 

I'll try to put together one last post here in this thread tomorrow of what else I found with the 17" in Gold Basin. My success with it has continued. I wish I had some kind of critical input on it to recommend improvements, but it's a great coil all around, as long as one isn't in alkaline/salty soil. 

• Like 4