X Coils In Gb, Scrounging For Missed Nugs

That type of porous gold is extremely fast time constant, so by the time your GPZ is sampling there’s barely any signal left. High Yield is the best option on the GPZ due to its higher freq behaviour (a little like how higher and lower freq work on VLFs).  

Your post reminds of the drizzly days in West Australia when we would camp and work in an area for 3 months straight, coming back on the quad to the wife and kids was always the highlight of my day especially when I had some gold to show off. Relying on the gold I found to support my family made for an extra layer of rawness that makes the memories so much more vibrant over time.

Thanks for the great post, hats off to you for actually doing it and making the time and effort to share.😎

JP

• Like 2

Jason,

It helps to have good notes and prior finds.  I've gone back to my prior finds and spots too often expecting more results it seems.  I need more spots.

You've explained your method of searching here which is similar to mine when it comes to swing stopper responses but I don't have any geology knowledge to go along with it.  My hope has been to cover a lot of ground and 'happen upon' undiscovered patches.  

I've come upon this 'method' as the result of running in the mountains for many years and also running marathons.  I had never really detected for nuggets until 2010.  I started largely because I had injured my back and could no longer run and train for marathons.  I've completed 21 marathons and hundreds of Santa Monica Mountain runs over the years until then.

It is appreciated that you would point out some of the gold bearing features in Gold Basin as you go through your descriptions.  I've looked for contact zones, green/red in areas west of the GPAA claims many times.  I've heard it said that you find a big wash and you will find big nuggets.  My largest GB nugget is 5 grams found at the bottom of a wash.

I was 'taught' to go to the bottoms.  Then people told me the bottoms were over hunted and go to the tops, that was the pattern.  Then people said the tops had been detected and now it is go to the washes and detect the middles at least two or three swings above the bottom.  Doing this has gotten me little new because I lack the geological knowledge and I'm just playing battleship.

It would have been nice to see what you think of my coil but I doubt we'll be able to meet up before you go back but I'm sure I would learn more than you.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Absolute stirling post, upfront and honest, made me want to be out there doing it too. You guys might have a lot of competition on the gold grounds but you sure make up for it in pure scenic delight, I could easily fall totally in love with that landscape. It makes me treasure the isolation and vast amounts of gold areas we have here in Australia, I can literally go to some areas and not see ONE person all season and come back years later and still see no evidence of anyone ever having been there. There are still places in Australia that are hundreds of kilometres from the nearest track, I say track because the track is just that a goat track that has never seen the bite of a dozers blade.

Thanks for sharing Jason

JP

• Like 3

Mitchel - the trick with going fast is to know when and where to do it. The primary difference is that you are going fast through club claims that are very heavily detected and I am going fast through areas that are much less detected where the easy signals are still in the ground and jump out at me.

In heavily detected ground you want to go slow and pick up techniques like JP and JW explain in their posts. 

The GPAA camp area produced a lot of big nuggets up to 4 or 5 ounces back in the 90's and early 2000's. I'm not a club member as I do not support gold clubs for personal reasons, so I haven't detected any of those claims with the X Coils. It would be a good spot to slow down if that's where you are detecting, and know that you'll be the first with some new equipment there.

Chet - Good luck out there, hopefully I'll see ya around next year somewhere in the goldfields again. I'm always down with engineering and science campfire talk. :biggrin:

JP - Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy the scenery. It's one of my favorite places on Earth and as much I wanted to share gold, I wanted to share the area too with the forum as it still amazes me every day I go out. I was raised in the country and it's places like this where I feel at home still today. The one thing it's missing is what you guys have a bit of left in Australia, which is the adventure that comes along with being the literal only person out there and discovering something brand new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll get out to more of the unknown to me.  For many years others have been going west and north but they didn't take me with them.  I've hunted up towards the tank and to the south of it through those hills and back over to the State property.

This last trip when I saw you we went driving around I saw the new helicopter pad at the storage area and all the large mining operations that would be north of Dolan Springs.  It looks like more commercial is going in around there and it says there will be dust and reclamation until 2030.  The roads were very busy and new ones were being cut.  It doesn't seem quite so isolated but you can get in a few pictures that makes it look cool.

JP doesn't quite get how close GB is now to the Big City of Las Vegas and West Rim Grand Canyon.  They have resold all of the once abandoned lots which has brought in more people.  I just wonder about the farms that went bankrupt on the way to Kingman.  There is that new gas station and they bulldozed all the Joshua Trees to make the nut tree farms at the turnoff.

https://grandcanyonwest.com/explore/west-rim/