I'm requesting help on which detector to buy for hunting gold nuggetts. I live outside Barstow, California which is located in the Mojave Desert. I'm new to this hobby but have researched the topic and have narrowed the search to five detectors. They are; Minelab 1000,  Whites Goldmaster 24K, OP ORX, Nokta Gold Kruzer and Fisher Gold Bug Pro.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Personally, I would remove the Gold Bug Pro from your list. It just does not have the higher frequency or features that can compete with the others on your list. If you are just occasionally going to gold prospect with a detector, then maybe it would work. I just think you would probably have better chances with the other detectors. If you go with the Gold Bug Pro make sure you get the 10"X5" and 5" round coils.

I would add the Minelab Equinox 800 to your list along with the 6" coil.  If you decide on the Whites Goldmaster 24K you should also purchase the 6.5" round coil. If you purchase the Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer make sure you also get the GK24 coil. All of these recommended coils make these detectors much better for medium to small sized gold prospecting in areas with higher mineralization and relatively shallow dirt over bedrock and will really hit very small gold.

The XP ORX was made for the high frequency coils. The X35 coils are great coils too but for medium to small gold I would go with the 9" round HF coil or the HF elliptical coil.

The XP ORX and Minelab Equinox can also easily be used for other detecting tasks very effectively. The Gold Kruzer and Goldmaster 24K can be used for coin, jewelry and relic hunting somewhat. The Gold Monster 1000 is really best for nuggets and possibly relics. The Gold Kruzer and Equinox 800 are waterproof.

Good luck. 

Jeff

• Like 4

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

there is no easier detector to use and it is just as good as the other detectors for finding nuggets

Except maybe the SDC 2300.  I know it is not on your list and it is much pricier but it will also find tiny gold, hit at similar depths as a VLFs and way, way better at handling mineralisation and hot rocks.  

Your countrymen with more knowledge of the Mojave Desert will be able to better comment if mineralised ground capabilities are a detector requirement for that area.  

Whatever you decide, have fun and be sure to show some nugget pics  👍

• Like 1

I can find gold about as well with any of the models mentioned, though I do agree the newer higher frequency units have the edge over the long in the tooth Gold Bug Pro. If you are not wanting to read manuals and learn controls the Gold Monster is a close to simple and automatic as you can get. If you think you want more controls and versatility (and the learning that goes with that) I’d recommend the Goldmaster 24K.

Looks like it’s time for me to update my guide below for the new year though not much has changed since September.

• Like 2

Jeff's suggestions are right on target.     You might wish consider joining a local club although the governors SIP is hampering meetings right now. I believe the High Desert Prospectors are in your area. Hopefully you will meet members willing to share their insights and you can see what they're using. Hands on tutoring is a big help not only for the machine but for the land and terrain. North of you is Coolgardie, your best bet, still some areas open, unclaimed and nuggets to be found. Dry washing is the norm as most of the gold is small. HH and good luck on your venture.

• Like 2