Finding Diamond Stud Earrings, Most Of You Can't... Yet

Part of this fine DP forum is sharing finds, stories and MD'ing knowledge.  So now you get your chance to help others and yourself.

On a recent post started by GB, I was helping educate some of the people asking questions about certain finds at a Volleyball Court.  I then realized it might as well be it's own thread, so here it is.

We (most of us) are stuck indoors right now, so what better thing to do, than self educate on your favorite hobby and the results will help you for the rest of you MD'ing carrier.

I have 3 tasks for all of you who want to learn more about your detector, your own capabilities and your very important pinpointer, all in the attempt to find the elusive Diamond Stud Earring.

#1. Try to find your wife/girlfriend gold diamond stud earring with your detector.  Be sure to tape it to a plastic poker chip 1st so you don't lose it.  Many detectors (even some in the $2500 and or price range) will miss most of them.  It might take some adjusting, but eventually some of your units might get it.  Listen to the signal width, see what it reads on the ID screen and notice how far off the ground your coil is (better have proper coil control) and then the target is no longer registering.  Once you teach yourself the capabilities of your detector, it will help you down the road at the beaches, volleyball courts and tot lots where some of these sparklers get lost.

#2. Use your very important pinpointer to find the diamond stud.  If you have different models of pointers, test each to see which one perform best/worst.  This will help you down the road knowing which pinpointers are useless (for this task).

#3. Post your results.  That's right, even you newbie hunters get you be an expert this time, because you actually took the test and not only learned from it, but are helping others who may not have access to a diamond stud.

I've found my share of gold diamond stud earrings in years past, but it took many attempts before I got it right.  What's nice, is when you get a call to find it and there is a reward.  On 3 of my diamond stud finds, I was the 2nd person with a detector to look for it.  One of those rewards was $500, so knowing my detector and what is the best pointer for the task, sure helped.  Why did the others not find the stud?  They never practiced to find out how it responds to their detector or pointer.  Don't just assume it will beep like a coin or ring or even foil.

I look forward to reading your results and hoping you'll realize the importance of detecting knowledge you just taught yourself.

EQ1A.jpg

EQ1B.jpg

• Like 9

Gerry,

Excellent idea.  I have added my responses to yours and kac's questions from the previous post you mentioned.

Gerry,

Well that was interesting.  The TRX would respond intermittently about an 1/8" from tip at highest setting.  The F-pulse did not pick it up at all.  I then brought out the EQ800 and could not get a good signal in any setting (air test) sensitivity was only at 10 due to being inside the house (did do noise cancel).  I was using the wife's stud earring only, no backing piece.

Kac,

I tried the tip and along the sides of the F pulse with no luck.  I did try it on other gold earrings & rings and got good results?  I also have a Gold Digger Land or Sea model which also did not register. Maybe it has stainless steel as a base metal?  In normal usage the TRX gives me good depth and accuracy.

Update: I did some more experimenting with the EQ800.  I moved to another room bumped the sensitivity up to 15 and it would detect the original stud in Park 2, Gold 1 & best signal in Gold 2 mode.

IMG_20200319_084158065.jpg

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Part of this fine DP forum is sharing finds, stories and MD'ing knowledge.  Now you get your chance.

3 minutes ago, Joel said:

I have added my responses to yours and kac's questions from the previous post you mentioned.

Good idea that this topic has evolved to being better as its own thread, but rather than to duplicate the text I suggest PM'ing Steve H.  In the long run he'll probably notice and do it anyway, but I think you'll likely save him some time if you just short circuit things from the beginning.

• Like 2

Great idea, now I need to find a stud to test.

Glad this has it's own topic now, funny how we stray off topic, probably how most of us hunt and not keep straight lines hahah

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Finding Diamond Stud Earrings, Most Of You Can't... Yet

I did a little dirt testing today with my MK. I found that the three tone /19KHZ worked the best. I didn't have a stud that my wife would let me bury, so the next best thing was a end link off a gold chain. It weighed 0.145 grams and 14k. The best I could do was about 3 inches deep. Next up was the 7x11 coil. That did a little better, I got about 4 1/2 inches. The pin pointers were my weak link both my carrot and my Nokta couldn't find it which was amazing to me. I didn't do any better pin pointer wise with the lead 7 1/2 shot I tested. The tone would definitely take some serious practice to get hold of, but you would basically have to dig everything from 04 to 21. That tiny stuff is real hard to wrap your ears around. PLEASE let me know what pin pointer will work with this little stuff. Great responses as usual from my fellow detectors.

IMG_0490.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dog,  Glad you were able to test the gold link and see its response.  Now when you do get to test a gold or platinum diamond stud you'll even be more shocked and or upset.  The shape of a stud is not round enough for many detectors and especially if it's of gold or platinum as their metal base are both low conductor metals.  The link you used in the photo is low conductor but with the design, allows a detector to see it easier.  If the carrot and the Nokta did not respond to your link, not much chance they will do any good on the diamond stud earring either.

Your testing helps you learn your detector and even though the hunt for a gold diamond stud is seldom, at least you know.

As for the pinpointer I use in this case?  I'd like to see more folks testing input and as soon as that happens, then you and everyone else will have their answer.  On a side note, it is also the same pinpointer I use when sniffing small gold nugget out of bedrock crevices.

I'll be offline for a few days, so everyone please be patient and when I get back online, if nobody has found the best pointer for these needs, I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Good practise for many Gerry. I would like to add to your "better have good coil control" with another exercise. This is best done over water , but sand or grass will do too. Tilt the front of your coil ever so slightly down, and watch how you skim across the water. Is it an even stroke or did you dunk or miss in places? You will find if you swing from your shoulder or elbow too...or both. Now this exercise is only to get the basics of coil swing or test your own coil control.....I dont mean for you to detect like this!  Height of coil hunting is a personal choice.....but the lower the better, just watch for rocks!  I am not a fan of scuffing or scrubbing.....the coil will give false signals......besides I feel its rather mean to rub its nose in the dirt all day. 😆Try different swing speeds as Gerry suggested......it is the difference of hearing/not hearing or only catching the edge of a target.  Patience and practise always produces results, as does getting "basics" right. Try dressage on a horse like I used to do......the hours spent on basics made transitioning into other disciplines a breeze. I wish all manufacturers would give shafts the ability to telescope like the XP Deus or Tarsacci MDT 800  without having those awful holes and spring buttons. Makes life so much easier, but then again unless they are able to secure tight, water hunting would be a nightmare. 

• Like 2

That's why I'm using a Gold Kruzer for gold jewelry.

• Like 1

Not a stud but did find this with the Nox 800 Beach 1 Auto GB Sensitivity at 20, volume all the way up.  I used a Minelab Pinpointer 35 to retrieve.  Beach sand find.

5D370A85-8222-4EC3-9221-039CF18C7792.jpeg

• Like 3

I've found lots of diamond stud earnings with my ctx that you sold me..they hit good...however none of them were real diamonds 😃

strick

• Like 1
  • Sad 1