Finding Diamond Stud Earrings, Most Of You Can't... Yet

Isn't that 1943 copper penny worth more than all the studs people showing?

Both my pin pointers hit small gold at about an 1/8" away, the ML Pro Find 35 does go hair more but hardly worth counting the lines on my ruler.

Still need to find a stud I can test.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The penny is a war era penny made of steel. Maybe worth 10 cents ha ha. I finally got my carrot to pick up the link. Turns out my battery was a little on the depleted side. It will only pick it up about an inch from the tip. I'm guessing the minelab pointer would do a much better job. The Mk is a great machine but I think its limitations are small gold. Not saying you couldn't find small gold with it, But a higher KHZ machine would be the ticket. 

• Like 1

The ML pointer won't hit a 14k chain clasp much more than 1/8". Not worried because I have found plenty or tiny earings a use the pointers to push the dirt around to see what I got so 1/8" is plenty for me.

That is impressive for the carrot though.

• Like 2

Gerry,

Interesting, informative and revealing. Thanks for your post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great story and information, But I just would have worked for tips!!!  Ha Ha Ha, Seriously you always give great insight on how things work. You break them down into terms most people will understand and give real world examples. That's what makes you a great teacher. And that's why I try so many different settings on my MK, Just trying to gain a slight edge in performance. 

• Thanks 1

Was out hunting in the woods and came across this tiny ear ring and first though it was silver but the acid test kit puts it between 10k and 14k so it's white gold. Like an idiot I tried to fix the post that was bent and snapped it off. Figured might as well test it. Post alone is .003oz, ear ring in total is .010 oz. Was buried under some leaves maybe 1" down or less.

Complete the Kruzer hits it good at about 4" with 2 tone mode. about 1 1/2"-2" with just the post and on end at less than 1/2" running 19khz 2 tone. Gen mode barely a whisper. With that I tested the ML Pro-Find 35 and Whites Bullseye2 and both will find the post at 1/8" side ways and just about touching on end at max sensitivity.

60781255563__538B6154-BD6F-44DA-BE5B-FD9FED053BF6.JPG

• Like 1

I wanted to add to this that my AT Pro with 9x12 concentric and Tejon with 9x9 concentric both react similar in depth on this ear ring so nothing out of the ordinary.

So what do they add to gold to make white gold? Is it nickel?