Mike Hillis What's Your Thoughts On The Gold Kruzer In

Deep mode and Micro mode. I haven't been able to get out yet. Snowing today.

In my tests I like them both. On my 10" test dime I don't see a lot of difference. A slight edge to the deep mode. Deep mode does scream on shallow targets which could be an advantage on micro jewelry hunting. 

What are your finding on both modes jewelry hunting and micro jewelry?

Thanks...Rick

Just did some more air tests on the 10k white gold earring and with the Gold Kruzer in deep mode with disc at 0, it hits the earring with a smooth hit with the coil raised 2"+.

Turn disc up to 22 barely gets a hit one way.

Micro mode didn't didn't work lowing disc to 0.

I'll be hunting with deep mode and try disc at 0 in sand and in the water if there isn't much iron.

Deep mode screams on shallow targets. The earring was a nice smooth hit. 

Sensitivity was 92.

I put the white gold earring in a plastic container about 3/4" high and layed on the ground . With the Gold Kruzer in deep mode it would get a hit with a short sweep back and forth but with a normal fast or slow sweep you won't hear it.

I guess the only detector that can get that small white gold earring is the Gold Bug 2. According to Tom Dankoski it is the best micro gold hunter.

In those last tests I was using the 9.5x5 dd coil. The 7.5x4 coil I would hear that white gold earring with a slow sweep.

So that makes the Gold Kruzer with the 7.5x4 coil a true micro gold hunter. It passes the test when using 0 disc in deep mode.

Minelab Gold Monster easily hits the same target. Tom has never used the GM to my knowledge. And I ditched both the Gold Bug 2 and Gold Monster to use a Goldmaster 24K instead. The Kruzer is more like 4th place for me. But yeah why waste time with all the alternatives - just get a Gold Bug 2. That's always been the undisputed leader for this type of detecting.

Just curious. How many single post ear rings have you found in the real world Rick? Virtually everyone seems to do this as a test thing more than actually posting all these tiny ear rings that they are finding. Where is the real world evidence that this is a type of detecting that is actually being pursued by anyone with good results? I've done it and in my experience it is more like aluminum detecting. Tom goes on about these Cartier ear rings with 1 carat diamonds. Yeah, right, maybe where he lives. Not here.

• Like 3

Good post Steve,

I hunted one summer with the Gold Kruzer using micro mode. I only found 1 gold earring with a small thing hanging from in the water at small beach. I don't know if they are diamonds on it but they are small. Found other junk earrings.

Lol, I doubt those earrings with big diamonds are in northern Michigan.

I will try micro gold hunting this spring on big beach and in the water at Lake Michigan. Like you said, I'll find out quick if it's a waist of time, then I'll switch to something that goes deeper on gold rings.

Thanks...Rick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

The little 3mm 10k white gold stud earring is really more of a mineral target than a metal target and the premise is that if you can hit this difficult target at some acceptable distance (acceptable as determined by the user) then you will be able to detect any of the ultra small (micro), difficult to detect gold jewelry items, including the tiny non-round angular items. 

If your equipment passes this test, you know you have a capable detector for this type of hunting.   You still have to learn to how to do it.  Reality is that most of the gold targets will be yellow gold with is much easier to detect, and the majority of them will have some sort of closed loop, however small, to detect, which makes it much easier.  

For me I want some thing that I can take to a known hot spot that I KNOW has a good chance of holding these little and tiny gold items and if it passes this earring test then at least I know the equipment I'm using has the capability.

HH
Mike

• Like 3

I had the Gold Kruzer for about 6 months. I was doing a comparison between it, the Deus, Orx, and the Equinox 800. My first time out with the Gold Kruzer, the first target I found was a 10K single earring stud with a nice emerald stone. Found it in a bark tot lot. That really got my attention. The other detectors I mentioned will hit it too. During that time I ran across an incredible deal on a Whites GM 24K that I could not refuse. That detector is really something also. As much as I liked the Gold Kruzer, especially the Micro mode!!! it and the Deus went bye, bye. 

Jeff

• Like 2