Vanquish 340 With 8” Coil Rocks!

I had my first real hunt for the season today.  I still have frozen ground 2” down in some of my spots.

The small public boat landing in my town has a grass “infield” area.  I first hunted it last season.  Several quick 30 minute hunts.  

Very full of trash!  Lots of people like to park and look across at the town.  

Also great view of the fireworks when the Bay festival shoots them off every year.  

I don’t know how I missed so many coins.  I still have only concentrated on the fringe areas beside the pavement.  I literally hit the same spots as last fall.  Probably a dozen coins in 20 minutes.  Very easy to pinpoint with the small coil.  Targets were a solid lock on everything I dug.  The few pieces of canslaw I dug were solid at 17.  

I got a 17-18 number very shallow.  Of course I needed to get the trash out, so I dug it up.  Very damaged zippo lighter.  My second ever.  It will get sent in to be repaired.  

I am not sure I will use my other machines this season.  This thing is very fun and light.  Very much worth the under 200 I spent on it.

btw, I didn’t plan on my gloves matching the machine....just a happy coincidence.

01F0D500-DD23-49B1-8A12-C3DACCD60A5D.jpeg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, JamieinMaine said:

It will get sent in to be repaired.

Nice find.  Where do you send it, and do you have an estimate of the cost for restoration?  I found one, too, but figured it was just another interesting find, never again to be operable.

I send them directly to Zippo in Pennsylvania.  You only pay for the shipping to them.  They repair it for you for free.  They consider it a privilege to do it for you. 

They put new guts inside, and repair the case and hinge if possible.  

• Like 3

Thanks for the really good write-up. Your results are like mine. I have no problem with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and all of the FTP products that are very similar. However, the entry level FTP detectors all the way up to the F44 and even the F19 do not have as fast recovery speed, as good target separation or especially the outstanding target ID of even the Vanquish 340, much less than the 440 or 540. So I am not surprised that you found shallow to medium quality targets in an area that you thought was hunted properly already.

Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff!  This is my first hunt with multi frequency.  Really impressed so far.  Also have never been a big fan of DD coils.  Maybe because I have used concentric for so long.  This small coil however checks all the boxes for me at my hunting areas. 

I still have a Simplex to play with this season too.  

I will still take my other machines out, but I see myself selling off a few lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamieinMaine said:

They repair it for you for free.  They consider it a privilege to do it for you. 

Sometimes if the case has been damaged to a point where they can't replace the insides they just replace the entire lighter. They have done that for my father, and myself on several occasions.

They even went the extra mile for my father when his was no longer repairable and sent him a brand new lighter with the Sea-bee's emblem that was on it when he bought it back in 1942. They even sent him a letter thanking him for his service.

They are very nice to the older service members.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 4:40 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

Thanks for the really good write-up. Your results are like mine. I have no problem with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and all of the FTP products that are very similar. However, the entry level FTP detectors all the way up to the F44 and even the F19 do not have as fast recovery speed, as good target separation or especially the outstanding target ID of even the Vanquish 340, much less than the 440 or 540. So I am not surprised that you found shallow to medium quality targets in an area that you thought was hunted properly already.

Jeff

Jeff I will have to disagree with you on the F19, it's actually a very fast machine and separates quite well in trash with the 5 x 10 coil compared to the Vanquish wearing any size coil. As far as target ID goes I do agree there, it is very stable and accurate.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, abenson said:

Jeff I will have to disagree with you on the F19, it's actually a very fast machine and separates quite well in trash with the 5 x 10 coil compared to the Vanquish wearing any size coil. As far as target ID goes I do agree there, it is very stable and accurate.

Hi,

I should have been more clear. I was comparing the Vanquish to the F19 with the F19 in discrimination mode since the Vanquish does not have a threshold based all metal mode. In threshold based all metal mode the F19, G2+ and all of their earlier versions are faster and separate better. Target ID is still not as good as the Vanquish in either mode. Its not even close and that is saying a lot since the F19 series is really good at target ID.

Jeff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Hi,

I should have been more clear. I was comparing the Vanquish to the F19 with the F19 in discrimination mode since the Vanquish does not have a threshold based all metal mode. In threshold based all metal mode the F19, G2+ and all of their earlier versions are faster and separate better. Target ID is still not as good as the Vanquish in either mode. Its not even close and that is saying a lot since the F19 series is really good at target ID.

Jeff

Jeff Don't know if I was clear in my response, but I agree the Vanquish has much better ID than the F19. I still think the F19 even in disc mode has better separation than the Vanquish, at least in the tests and in field comparisons I've done.

My former F19 and G2+ with the excellent 10X5" coil barely passed Monte's Nail Board test.  I tried it many times with different settings in discrimination mode and they never scored better than 5 out of 8.The Vanquish 340 and 440 have no problem passing Monte's Nail Board test, so far, 6.5 to 7 out of 8 using Jewelry mode with all metals accepted. The Equinox and 11" coil score the same in all metals accepted Beach 1 with a pre-1982 copper penny. Just my experiences.

Jeff 

• Like 1