Problem With Nox 800

G3racing

Purchase a new equinox for my elderly Dad to use. Was testing it in my side yard and it start to act like this. Can anybody explain to me what is going on? Is it malfunctioning? It worked earlier in the day at another location.

heres the video.

Electro magnetic interference from Wi Fi hot spots, power lines, cell phones, etc. Auto noise cancelling will not completely eliminate it. Turning down the sensitivity, changing search modes or going to a single frequency are your options.

Jeff

• Like 4

3 hours ago, G3racing said:

It worked earlier in the day at another location.

Some of the power lines are now using wifi and will interfere with the 800 also. I live in the rural area and I have the same problem when I get to close to the power lines or near a house with a strong wifi signal.

Steve gave some very good reading on the subject.

Try a completely different locations.  All the above replies are possible answers.  But try a different location away from houses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I might update my last post.  Finally got out yesterday for a little hunting.  Went to the elementary school I attended in the 60's.  I had been hunting about 20 minutes and suddenly the detector went crazy.  Constant chatter, did a noise cancel, nothing changed.  Dropped the sensitivity, still no good.  All well knowing some was definitely up I put the Equinox in noise cancel mode, raised the coil about 4' above the ground and rotated the coil like you would a TV antenna to see if I could locate the direction of the EMI.  Sure enough, when I pointed the coil in the direction of a 3 phase electrical line it started chattering and when I rotated away from the line it went quite.  Something had definitely switched on the power line to cause such a sudden increase in line current.  Well, I took my own advise, moved to the other side of the school and suddenly my stable detector returned.  This was the worst EMI I can ever remember experience.

• Like 3