First Gold And Silver

$300 worth of gold content -- not bad for a morning stroll.  The dime looks like it was in circulation for a long time.  Did you check for a mintmark (which might not even have survived if it's too worn)?  The -O and particularly -S were considerably more scarce/rare than the plain.  Even with a mintmark, the condition is going to be tough to allow it to retain much value over bullion, but it's still way more fun to recover the tougher ones.

• Like 1

Great finds and a very nice bracelet, good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

That a nice first gold for the year.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 8:08 AM, GB_Amateur said:

$300 worth of gold content -- not bad for a morning stroll.  The dime looks like it was in circulation for a long time.  Did you check for a mintmark (which might not even have survived if it's too worn)?  The -O and particularly -S were considerably more scarce/rare than the plain.  Even with a mintmark, the condition is going to be tough to allow it to retain much value over bullion, but it's still way more fun to recover the tougher ones.

Unfortunately the dime is so worn I can sort off tell it’s from 1858 and that’s all I can see. I was quite happy that I could see the outline of the seated liberty. I have found 3 seated dimes around the same area and all are in pretty bad shape but this one takes the cake. HH

• Like 1

Well that is certainly a great way to start the season, gold and seated silver.  Are you in fresh water?

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Well that is certainly a great way to start the season, gold and seated silver.  Are you in fresh water?

It’s not a bad start and hopefully a few more keepers dive into my scoop this year.  I only hunt salt water, wet sand to about waist deep.

• 3 weeks later...