Rick N. MI

If The Vanquish Was Waterproof...

If the Vanquish was waterproof I would get one just to have the smaller coil.

19 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

If the Vanquish was waterproof I would get one just to have the smaller coil.

Unfortunately, the Vanquish isn't waterproof ... but fortunately for those who use it, that 5X8 DD make a really nice smaller to mid-sized search coil.  My 540 w/5X8 DD is one of the 'Travel team' detectors I keep in my vehicle all the time.  I don't swim, but I do look forward to a warm summer day when I'll work some freshwater sites with it.

Monte

I have to admit this has been bugging me....

D362D5C3-13A4-4B05-AC17-69E403B82AD3.jpeg

11899DC0-BB7D-45FC-83AC-AF8E35219BCD.jpeg

Waterproof up to 1 meter... wow, the coil is waterproof.

Water Resistant “with included rain cover?” So not water resistant without? Seriously? In this day and age? My 40 year old detectors were also “water resistant” when I put a bag over them.

It appears to me the folks in marketing were pushing it a bit on this one. :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yeah, the battery cover is pretty cheaply made. Water would run right under it the way it's designed. Have to have the dust cover in the rain. Not sure about the face plate either. 

I've had my Vanquish in the rain with no rain cover, no issues so far.  In this video they say the control pod is water resistant.

They mention it has a rain cover but my understanding from the video is the pod is water resistant... It could just be poor wording on their part or poor understanding on my part (most likely as they say with water resistant cover) but I'm running with it and have had mine in the rain often.

I don't care about waterproofing, water resistance to rain is all I'll ever need.    If the Vanquish was waterproof it would possibly be getting too close to an Equinox to keep the product lines separate.

• Like 2

If the Vanquish was waterproof.........it'd be more expensive 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I personally don't care if the Vanquish is waterproof or not. It is what it is and it's great for what it is. Like Simon I've used plenty of detectors in the rain that were supposedly not rain proof and never had an issue.

• Like 2

Personnaly I have had pbs in the rain/humidity with 2 machines up to now , an XP Golmaxx and a Xterra 705. The symptom was exactly the same for both machines , they were bugging after around 1 hour of run time in wet/very wet air, either in winter or in summer. The only solution , go back home and dry the detector.  Probably it was coming from condensation on the electronics card. Hope I wont have this issue with my Vanquish 540. 

39 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Hope I wont have this issue with my Vanquish 540. 

Use the rain cover.

• Like 1

I had a rain cover on my Goldmaxx and it did not prevent the pb. Will try the cover with the vanquish and see what happens ...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By maxxkatt
      I have a Simplex+ and am thinking seriously of thinking selling the Simplex and buying the Vanquish 440.

I have nothing really negative to say about the Simplex. I have the Nox 800 and think that the TID on the Vanquish will be similar to the Nox 800 for the same targets? Am I right?

With the Simplex and the Nox 800 I have two sets of numbers to remember. Don't need that.

Plus I like the tones on the 800 better than the Simplex. How do the tones on the V 440 compare to the 800?

Plus I like the Multi-frequency aspect of the Vanquish.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    • By palzynski
      Yes I confirm the Vanquish is an excellent detector .  I received my Vanquish 540 pro pack 10 days ago. For info I am an official tester for 2 shops in France and I have a very stict testing procedure, combining static tests and field tests. I have spent around 4 hours on the field with it up to now .  I will give more details and pics in another post later  but I already have a good idea of the machine and you will find below a comparison between the Vanquish 540 V12 coil and the Equinox 800 11inches coil.
      Important I on only detect inland , I am not a beachcomber , this test only applies for inland detecting .
      1 ) The Vanquish plus :
      - Static depth test on a big copper coin 10g , 3cm diameter at 12inches depth in moderated mineralized ground:
         The Vanquish 540 V12 is better than the Equinox 800 11coil. The sound is definitely sharper . There is not an enormous difference, say 1inch depth difference , but there is definitely a difference. I use the Jewellery mode.
      - the Vanquish telescopic shaft is far better than the Nox shaft , you can adjust it very accurately on the field. It is much more compact in a rucksack. Also the S Vanquis shape is more ergonomic and it feels lighter than the Nox on the field, although the weight of the machines are similar.
      - The Vanquish is much easier to use than the Nox , just a few buttons thats all. I find the Nox too complex and I do not like the side buttons of the nox which tend to auto activate when the Nox is in a rucksak. On the Vanquish I simply swich on the Jewellry mode , sensiitivity to max , thats all.  Also the noise cancel is automatic. On the nox you must go in the menu for noise cancel too complex ….
      -  The Vanquish V12 elliptical coil is much easier to pinpoint than the 11equinox coil , I very rarely use a pinpointer with it.

2 ) The vanquish cons :
      - a fear I have with the Vanquish is that the electronic card is not protected against humidity , no IP protection , this could be a pb during wet atmospheric conditions . I will test this as soon as I can .
      - no lithium battery , just basic AAs batteries for power. A lithium battery would have been lighter and more reliable then the AAs. 

3 ) Conclusion :
      An entry level machines better than their top level ones , only Minelab can do that … :-)
      More seriously I think that Minelab has learnt a lot with the Nox and they improved a lot of things that can now be found on the Vanquish.
      I understand now why Simon ( Phrunt ) is so happy with his Vanquish in NZ… :-)
      Again I will send an other post with pics and a more details as soon as possible
      Apart from this everybody is at home over here in France with the corona , so I have to stop the tests for the moment , I hope it will go better in a few weeks  ...

• By JamieinMaine
      I had my first real hunt for the season today.  I still have frozen ground 2” down in some of my spots.
      The small public boat landing in my town has a grass “infield” area.  I first hunted it last season.  Several quick 30 minute hunts.  
      Very full of trash!  Lots of people like to park and look across at the town.  
      Also great view of the fireworks when the Bay festival shoots them off every year.  
      I don’t know how I missed so many coins.  I still have only concentrated on the fringe areas beside the pavement.  I literally hit the same spots as last fall.  Probably a dozen coins in 20 minutes.  Very easy to pinpoint with the small coil.  Targets were a solid lock on everything I dug.  The few pieces of canslaw I dug were solid at 17.  
      I got a 17-18 number very shallow.  Of course I needed to get the trash out, so I dug it up.  Very damaged zippo lighter.  My second ever.  It will get sent in to be repaired.  
      I am not sure I will use my other machines this season.  This thing is very fun and light.  Very much worth the under 200 I spent on it.
      btw, I didn’t plan on my gloves matching the machine....just a happy coincidence.

• By Steve Herschbach
      coin spader - Some wind noise at the beginning of the video, sorry 😞 but was a decent hunt. Coin pics at the end of the video.

• By abenson
      Starting to see some different results from the relic mode on the 540 than I would expect according to the manual and suggested use of the mode. Maybe some other 540 users can confirm or deny what I'm seeing. First off in my soil it's not the deepest mode because of the mineralization, it's actually quite choppy on deep targets. However, what I'm starting to see, and I've tested this a few times and even confirmed it on Monte's nail board. Relic mode appears to have better separation in iron than either the coin or jewelry modes. This is contrary to what the manual says but I'm seeing this more every time I take it out. I'd say it performs about 20% better and I'm taking about surface trash not deep stuff with the V8 coil. Anybody else seeing this same thing?