Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Christie’s Meteorite Auctions

Steve if I were to pay that kind of money for one of those from Christie's I better get the whole rock.

Great article that tells how much they could bring should we be able to find something like those, then cut them up and shine them up.

Steve,a very interesting article,some of those prices are just 'out of this world' 🤣

• Haha 1

In the first link are great pictures and great prices from an auction last year.

I can't see the auction this year because the NY Times blocks me as I'm not a subscriber.  I searched for a March 14 auction but could not see it on their site.

Is there another link?  I know there is a very large private collection that Ruben Garcia is helping to liquidate.

11 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I can't see the auction this year because the NY Times blocks me as I'm not a subscriber.  I searched for a March 14 auction but could not see it on their site.

You get 5 free articles per month so you’ve been there, done that already. Using a new browser or device usually gets you another 5.

Can you post a link to the Christie's site?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Some scientists now think there are the building blocks for life in meteorites.  One block is protein.
      https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-claim-to-have-found-the-first-known-extraterrestrial-protein-in-a-meteorite
    • By 1515Art
      I was bumming around Las Vegas today and wandered into the Gold and Silver pawn shop for a look around as the parking lot was open and there was no line to get in. Walking through the shop one of the display cases was filled with nature and science objects and a handful of small meteorites and two larger all iron nickel from the Argentina Campo Del Cielo meteor impact. They were asking $25 for the small ones that were between a nickel and quarter in diameter and $250 each for the large ones. I grabbed one of the large one and asked for a discount and after checking they would sell it for 20% less making it $200 I’m sure I could have bargained more but didn’t care to, the one in my hand weighed 368 grams and had some nice character so I wrapped it up and took it home.  This is a very common meteorite as they go but seemed a fair price at around 1/2 the asking price for most of the similar examples on eBay and although not a bargain I suppose, but if you are in the area and looking for one of these (in a shop) $25 for a small meteorite doesn’t seem to far out of line?

• By Sercher
      Does anyone have any tips for locating  Location to hunt meteorites in West Texas with Metal Detector
    • By maxxkatt
      do meteorites just land anywhere on the planet? or do they typically land in specific areas?
      For instance would Atlanta, Georgia USA have meteorites on the ground somewhere?

• By nordic
      Perhaps not enough information, but how does it look to you?
      It's about 15mm in size.
      Thanks in advance