Half Dime And Couple Large Cents

Hit an area where I had picked up a trime before. This time out I snagged an 1853 half dime, old 3 ringer, bronze wedding band that was fairly deep and 2 large cents that are in rough shape.

Probably won't bother cleaning the large cents as they may just disintegrate.

Used the Multi Kruzer at 14 khz in 2 tone mode. Had isat off, was manually ground balancing as the ground is pretty tame, gain at 95 and disc at 0. I'm finding it is better to let it do it's chatter and low iron hum once in a while rather than using discrim at all as it disc seems to make the audio bit choppy and hard to follow. Finding 2 tone very easy to pick out good targets even when there is a lot of trash and iron around, just work slow. That stock coil is working really well in the woods.

60676649951__096FC32D-F3CF-4E9B-85D9-8B73C409F8FC.JPG

• Like 9

Glad to see the MK producing so well for you, kac.  I suspect you are going to spend a lot of days this year using it in those old sites you've uncovered.

That half dime appears to be in nice condition.  Any way to get some identification from the two large cents?  Even if you can't discern a date, maybe the size or design (e.g. bust type) can narrow down the range of years they were minted.

Great job as usual my friend!! The MK can really hit the deep stuff, I just dug a shotgun shell primer at almost 11 inches today. I have never found a half dime yet. Glad to know what they look like Ha Ha

I can try to wash up the large cents a bit more, one that has more detail looks like head is facing right so maybe a flowing hair 1790's??? Other is in tougher shape. I think if they patina falls off there won't be anything left below, usually what happens to those old coppers.

What really makes this detector is the combination of power in such a small coil. I have hit that area with my ATP and many times with the Tejon. Tejon does really good in that area with the smaller coil but I get some EMI there. The ATP did fairly well with stock DD and found the trime with that but the ring and 2 large cents would be out of range on both those machines.

The larger 10x12 dd on Tejon tends to get smothered from the old iron around. Make matters worse there was a boyscout camp there and a fire pit that people love to burn cans and toss the slag all over. The half dime was in the mix of that and I got just a hint of a good target. Wasn't deep but enough trash around to cast doubt. I am finding that 2 tone very effective in those conditions.

If your digging shotgun shells that is a good sign, keep looking and should be some pocket change around as people lose change when reloading, especially those old side by sides. Found many of my old silvers on hunting trails.

• Like 3

Clean up with a tooth pick and an artist brush, then shine a flashlight across the surface to get some shadowing. Hopefully it will show you a date. I have an old button that I'll post that I need some help with, odd design. I'm really glad your doing well with the MK. Maybe some gold might be in your future?

• Like 1

So cleaned them up a bit. Large cent is mid 1800's based off the edge and head facing left. I used a piece of bamboo I had left over from my fly rod building days because it holds up better when wet than a tooth pick.

Other coin looks to be a very early King George, front is blown away but back you can make out some lettering along the edge and some character in the middle. Wild guess mid 1700's but not sure.

IMG_0943.JPG

60678490025__4ADE7F45-B4EF-48FC-9D97-BE5B8FE1AEF1.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

• Like 2

I think that reverse was used on a lot of 18th Century coinage on both Great Britain and the American Colonies.  Here's a post-Revolution example, but of course yours is not necessarily this one:Post-Revolution_CT_coin.thumb.jpg.9a5e2bbca12350f078b7679bded4bc18.jpg

• Like 2

Chase you're probably right on the minie ball, I have other styles I found in those parts.

GB you got a great eye on that coin, back does look the same. Good news is that is much older than most the coins I find in that area by at least 50 years.

• Like 1