What Bugs Me... Lone Gold Nuggets

Well I gota tell ya I have landed on some small dirt roads and rough that I didn't think

I was gona get out of.  Ya I have heard the saying. My Titan is like my little fighter

jet.  I have slowed down through the years.

Ivan

Gold Bug 2 right there in my tag line, I have been looking at a pi and can't decide,

the gpx 4500 price is way down, but I have this thing about minelab, value for money.

Its a personal problem, maybe I should talk with Dr Laura..

I've used a Gold Bug Pro, GPX 4800, SDC 2300 and GPZ 7000 all down at Greaterville.

Hunted a lot down there the last few years but have only found gold with the SDC and GPZ.

I think it had less to do with the equipment and more to do with practice and experience. Once you find one nugget you gain so much knowledge from that experience that sometimes they start just rolling in.

PI detector would probably be your best bet for down there unless you want to use a VLF to play around in the washes near bedrock where most of the trash is.

I've used a Gold Bug Pro, GPX 4800, SDC 2300 and GPZ 7000 all down at Greaterville.

Hunted a lot down there the last few years but have only found gold with the SDC and GPZ.

I think it had less to do with the equipment and more to do with practice and experience. Once you find one nugget you gain so much knowledge from that experience that sometimes they start just rolling in.

PI detector would probably be your best bet for down there unless you want to use a VLF to play around in the washes near bedrock where most of the trash is.

I got to say, I do this for the pure enjoyment, of being outside and getting
 a little exersize, I have lived in this desert all my life and find walking 
 through gullys and washes listening to the buzz quit tranquil.

I don't understand why one would gain more knowledge finding a gram of gold
 then a gram of lead? Witch I have found both.

There is really only one reason I want another detector, cause I do love toys. 

The GPX 4500 for 2600.00 is a good price that I would not mind paying, what 
 I really don't like is the weight of the machine.

I can't imagine digging 1 foot or 2 foot holes with a GPZ 7000, it looks like 
 hard work. I can't imagine a machine costing 10k, its plastic a coil is mag
 wire and plastic and how could the circuit board cost 7-8k. The biggest
 and most power full computers don't cost that much. Value for money. Not me.

And when I walk back to my truck, that beer really taste good even if
 I didn't learn anything...

Ivan
  • Like 2

For me once I actually begin finding gold somewhere for the first time it's a huge boost in confidence. Now I know there's actually gold there and not just trash. Then I start to slow down and really focus on that area and begin looking at all the conditions that first nugget was found in; the depth, type of ground etc. Then I start hunting around to see if it's got any friends nearby.

None of the materials the GPZ is made of are worth anywhere near $10k. What you're paying for is the research and technology that went into making it. I've only had mine since April and I've almost paid off half of it with gold I've found. The dream for many of us who buy the "latest and greatest" detectors is that it'll give us enough of a technological edge on the previous hunters to find that one big nugget they missed and hopefully pay the whole machine off.

• Like 1

Hey Greaterville Boys,

You may have seen this paper in your research of the area, but if not it is pretty interesting.  See pages 3-14 of the pdf which is pages 11-22 of the report.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0430a/report.pdf

That is why we go to greaterville, Just like that piece of map I posted a few post back.

It has all usgs gold locations with gps cords..

Ivan

Ivan, anyone,

Question: 

Can you tell me where one could find a map/info of the areas closed to metal detecting in the Greaterville area?  I am assuming it is anywhere in the Forest Service managed public land that is not now claimed. 

Ivan, anyone,

Question:

Can you tell me where one could find a map/info of the areas closed to metal detecting in the Greaterville area? I am assuming it is anywhere in the Forest Service managed public land that is not now claimed.

It should be the 50/50 land just east of Granite Mountain.

When I joined the Desert Gold Diggers club, the maps of the claims I got on disk showed the general area of this.

Never had an issue on the 50/50 land.    Ivan you have some nice looking picks.  The GV area is a lot larger then what most people think.  If you come in thru the greaterville exit from HWY 83 you pass two patches that I know of before leaving pavement.  Good Luck .

Never had any problems in the 50/50 land either. Lately I've been detecting Ophir and Louisiana gulches. Been sticking to the hillsides because the wash bottoms are pretty hammered. Only area I've been told by others to avoid is the fenced area around Kentucky camp. Most gulches still produce gold drywashing, lots of clay in some areas though.

• Like 1