Button Identification Help (very Unusual)

29 minutes ago, kac said:

Unfortunately it seems all the search engines are using popularity over content and meta tags now. Gone are the days when you typed in a query and ended up with what you wanted instead of some stinking irrelevant ad or topic. Really annoying.

When we are allowed outdoors again I'll ask my neighbor, he's an antique dealer and probably knows.

I tried a couple different google searches and google image searches with different key words too and not much useful, at one time in the early days the first hits would have given you a direct link to an identification page for free and you could have narrowed it down a number of ways, all you could learn right there I’m hooked, The information high intoxicating. I kept coming back for more like everyone else searching for answers, google was waiting on the corner with a sly inviting smile as though they expected my return. I was having to search harder now clicking more links it’s frustrating but I could still satisfy that restless need to know, it just took longer to get there and I’d find the information less rewarding the need to return becoming more frequent the empty feeling from conflicting advertisements making me feel anxious, sleepless and strung out unable to decide my own breakfast... I fear the street knowledge all that’s left, I need the answer to the mystery of the button, really nice button and great find best of luck finding about it sorry for the google rant🤪.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found this older flat button with a similar style in the design layout searching commemorative  buttons, the ships do kind of resemble Chinese junk,919EE88B-CDE0-4369-9D06-D6E8035E4636.thumb.jpeg.dda6109d3e825fc299a59aa59f26859a.jpeg7BA63486-60BF-49DF-980B-15C389035EC7.thumb.jpeg.7410891839a70edaf572f3530d5078cd.jpeg but for some reason the building kind of reminds me of rough representation of a Philadelphia type building (independence hall)?

6 hours ago, 1515Art said:

but for some reason the building kind of reminds me of rough representation of a Philadelphia type building (independence hall)?

The building upon closer look seems to be something else.

Looks like a flying saucer, a sword, a bear, either 047 or Q47, and then a line.

The more I look at it the more it looks like something else than a normal button.

I hope that this gets identified soon as it's driving me nut's.

• Haha 1

Sure looks similar!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

caprock you are awesome!! The little building is an exact match so are the cattails, triangular doodads and the snake. Looks like its from the same organization with a slightly different design. The Odd Fellows org. was the only one I did not look into, but I will now. I'm glad you had that button, I feel a little better now knowing there is another similar one out there. Hopefully we all will have the mystery buttons resolved soon. 

Quick update. I spent the last couple of hours doing  genealogy research on the home site which I found the button. The house roughly dates to about 1768. The owner of the house in 1816 was Aaron Krause, He had a son born the same year he purchased the property in 1816. The sons name was Joel H Krause, who at the age of 16 entered the Freeland seminary, now know as Ursinus college. He became a well known doctor and was a member of a masonic group and a member of the Independent order of the odd fellows. How's that for research? I think the link between the doctor and the button might be proof that it's what caprock has stated. I love this site, So many great people to help with identifying odd finds.

• Like 3

This is fun, even observing from the sidelines!  My impressions (for what it's worth) are summarized:

1) The buttons are similar enough to be related, but there are items not common to both.  Having two different buttons, though, may make them easier to indentify.

2) I don't see much on either button that associates it with the International Order of Oddfellows (IOOF).  For example, the three rings are a significant symbol but their orientation isn't correct, and further that is present on only one of the buttons. However, as such an organization evolved its symbolisms likely evolved along with it.  So maybe early IOOF symbols could be represented.

3) The genealogy study and early connection with IOOF is tantalizing, but that may simply be a non-related coincidence.

I note you've got Tim (2Valen) stumped which is tough to do.  This is a difficult one but with so much progress thus far I foresee a solution upcoming.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

However, as such an organization evolved its symbolisms likely evolved along with it.  So maybe early IOOF symbols could be represented.

GB, I was thinking the same thing, maybe the early forms of the IOOF symbols were more let say more mystical and cryptic. They have been around a long time. The oldest symbols that I found were from 1886 and they don't look like what we have. Although caprocks chain does look like the current version. Your insight and intelligence are a welcome breath of fresh air. I too hope we resolve this, because I'm loosing my vision looking at this thing under magnification ha ha.

Great research Dog! Keep up the good work!

Here's another version from a California gold camp

Dog, just curios what period are most of the finds from your house site.

The California sites are 1850s-80s, but hold older items as well>

87420516_3529810640423635_3586807062396403712_o.jpg

• Like 2