Button Identification Help (very Unusual)

Today I received a reply back from the Odd Fellows Organization both in the UK and the USA. The buttons are not associated to the group or similar group, But they thought they were somehow related to the British Imperial age. Possibly of Indian or Asian origin. Which made me think of the East India Company. The buttons I thought were not Indian, but perhaps Chinese like GB thought. Which the EIC controlled. So I did a little digging (Pardon the pun). Turns out that the Chinese had a Buddhist temple in San Francisco in 1856, which had a trading post/depot attached to it. Now it kind of makes sense, all the symbols on the buttons in someway represent peace. I might be wrong but this might be a new direction to turn to. Perhaps they were off of a religious garment or woman's ceremonial dress? Not sure how this explains the Pennsylvania part of the mystery? But maybe it was some form of garment that was created for sale to the general public? My head is starting to hurt!! I seriously hope we get an answer to this. Last time I had something like this it took me 7 years to get a real answer, and the item was a tool use to cut leather washers for wagon wheels.

IMG_0573.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's going to take 7 years again.  😅  I found "oriental whip snake".  One down (maybe), several more to go.

• Like 2

I'm hoping a month or two, This just might test my resolve!!!

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think it's going to take 7 years again.  😅  I found "oriental whip snake".  One down (maybe), several more to go.

It paints an interesting picture the connection to the early history and the Chinese minors with the symbols of luck you have to be on to something there. I copied images of all three different buttons and painted a romantic picture of different hunters finding these in gold fields across the country dating from the late 1800’s and the connection with the early history of the Chinese. All my wife’s friends here and abroad are bored stuck at home and hopefully want to help solve a mystery so maybe something will pop up from one of her groups?

• Like 2

Remember that the Chinese built much of our railways. Others here on the forum have found old Chinese coins here in the states that are probably same period.

• Like 1

like I suspected plenty of idle hands in need of of mystery to pass some time, not that this new information will do anything but add to the confusion as it points in a slightly different direction. The unanimous consensus was not Chinese the snake and boats looked more Egyptian inspired everyone thought for what that’s worth and I guess the boat construction does resemble bundled reeds, the snake in that form, fan shape objects, infinity... it’s easy to see a lot of different connections to a lot of different styles so who knows? Most everybody though you’d find a dragon form represented for luck someplace if it was Chinese? 

• Like 2

At this point I would consider a 19th century Sears button, But as GB said ''Templar Baby''  Ha Ha. Maybe Gary Drayton could end this mystery?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Glen, Any chance you can post some photos? I would love to see the front and back. Thanks so much for the reply!!!!