Buying Another Nox

I am buying another NOX,should have bought 2 when i was in the Victorian goldfields  will have save a few pence but i had a CTX at the time,as i am always between the Capital(Mudlarking) and the coast (Beachcombing),can't be bother putting it in the car all and i will have spare(can believe i am trying to convince you😆).

I can feel this machine as something special for the beach and after seeing Goldrats(from he forum) picking tiny gold in OZ i was sold.

The plan is to tested in on the Thames with the 6"coil, fast recovery and .....settings well i need to work on them .

Got all the coils now and we are in Lockdown.....

The AQ Impulse will be here soon but thats another story

RR

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

I am buying another NOX,

Is it going to be the 600 or the 800, and what are you going to name it when it arrives.

Getting another 800 full basic set up(no carbon) just waiting to meet the owner and close the deal .Need to rework a good setting for the Thames that should take a while as i am yet fluent with the nox

RR

The weight,the weight!!!! I am fit and strong but my arm needed a week to recover even with a harness,another friend of mine was swinging his and even with the big coil no prob..................

The CTX is an excellent machine maybe deeper than the nox on the beach but the weight no chances i am OUT :) swapped it for NOX Number 1

RR

• Like 1

My Nox was in for repair and I used my 3030 for about a month with the standard coil without a bungee and hipstick and found it acceptable if I adjusted it to a straight arm length.  If I keep the weight in my hand then I'm ok.  I like the screen and the GPS which shows me where I found my rings on the beach.

When I went back to my 17" coil I needed the help of a bungee and hipstick because of the turn on my elbow.

If I was to go out to the beach with my wife she would use the Nox and I'd use the CTX.

My main problem is most of the time i go on the coast its on my day off after a week of hard graft.I tend to extend everything to the max and sweep slow and low and wide.Even with the nox i managed to f%@% my arm its going away now but i havent been out for a month 😉

Anyway i may one day get another CTX its a good machine to explore it offers a lot.

Stay safe

RR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivers rat said:

My main problem is most of the time i go on the coast its on my day off after a week of hard graft. I tend to extend everythingt o the max and sweep slow and low and wide. Even with the nox  i managed to f%@% my arm its going away now but i havent been out for a month 😉

RR

And that set-up, combined with the already awkward weight and balance is what's causing more arm and shoulder fatigue and war-and-tear.  I've owned Sovereigns and 6 or 7 FBS models and the weight and their balance takes a toll on me.  I factor in my age and impaired health and mobility and had to part with my last Explorer Ii in 2013 or '14.

I never extend my rods too far or make a wide sweep  I watch those who do and not only to I get tired just watching them work that coil, but I see they miss sweeping a lot of ground.  Why"  They usualy don't overlp the coil enough, or at all, and they miss covering a lot of the terrain because the faster the coil is swept on those wide arcs, the faster the feet move, and that results in a lot of missed coverage.

I also never use, or even like the thought of, an annoying bungie cord or other set-up.  A detector ought to be designed to be comfortable as a hand-held device.  The Equinox is an improvement over the FBS series.  I like your idea of buying a 2nd Eq-800 just to have it set-up with a different search coil for different applications.  I've done that for decades with a number of different detector models, and do so today.  I have two Nokta FORS CoRe that each wear a different search coils, and I bought two Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack to do the same with the two nicely-shaped and comfortably-balanced coils they come with.

I borrowed the CTX-3030 and, using the stock 11" DD coil, I enjoyed using it as it did balance differently than my Explorer II's or SE Pro, but it was still awkward.   If Minelab wanted to up the sale of an FBS model or even an Equinox model, all they would have to do is design them to work on 4-AA Alkaline or NiMH batteries, and configure them to fit in the Vanquish physical package!  Matter of fact, give them lightweight and balanced search coils like the Vanquish 5X8 and 9X12, as well as the round 11" for those who like it better and the roundish 6" DD.

For those who use and enjoy the Vanquish, can you imagine having an EQ-800 or CTX-3030 in that same configuration and feel?  I know my Minelab model inventory would increase, as in double!

Monte 

• Like 2

Monte can you imagines i got 18" mono from Detech for my PI :) that machine wants to go out too

I also got 2 lobos retuned for the River Thames on with the almighty DD 5.75 and the other with the tiny elliptical

RR