What Is Equivalent Of Recovery Speed In The Zed?

Today I took a short beach swing and didn't find much but it was good to just get out in a sea breeze if you know what I mean.  I used the Equinox 800.  About midway through my 2+ hours I checked my settings and noticed I had recovery speed on 5.  I changed it to 6 and then the thought came to my mind, "What would I do or could I do with the Zed to immulate changing the recovery speed?"

I've used the 800 in many different settings so far but mostly the beach.  I've seen the videos of nails next to good targets.

How do YOU tease the good targets out of trash like the 800?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

How do YOU tease the good targets out of trash like the 800?

Mitchel, to me the question is moot, since the Zed has no discrimination. However, in high trash areas, I usually default to the old standard of only going after the deep, mellow sounding targets, and avoiding the screaming surface trash. As to your thread title, the Zed's Locate Patch option of the Ground Smoothing feature allows for a faster swing speed akin to the motion filter of the GPX 5000, providing a shorter, sharper signal response than Ground Smoothing Off. But even at that, I'm sure it couldn't hold a candle to the target separation abilities of the Nox.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lunk, that is some information I was after.  When you speed up the Nox the good and the bad targets disappear faster and give separation.  I know the mellow sound of gold and would like it not to be 'masked' by a hot rock or other.  

What would you say the speed of the Zed is on the Nox scale?  What would it be with Locate Patch On?

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

What would you say the speed of the Zed is on the Nox scale?  What would it be with Locate Patch On?

The only way to get a definitive answer is to do a side by side comparison between the Zed and the Nox with buried targets. Sounds like there is a video post in your future?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Next time I get on gold maybe ... several weeks away in all likelihood!

I've been out with Chet and he carries his Nox over his shoulder while swinging the Zed just for this purpose.  I mean he uses the Nox as his pinpointer so he avoids digging everything.  Maybe he can tell us already what he thinks of the speed question.

• Like 1

You also need to take into consideration the nature of a DOD design coil, they are much slower than a DD coil for instance. This is why I always encourage users to maintain good coil control and even more importantly find the correct range of motion relative to the target. The GPZ is built for depth pure and simple but requires an understanding of its nature to take full advantage of the tech, slow and controlled is the best approach with the GPZ.

With the NOX in Prospect mode I find a recovery of 4 to be about on the money any faster and you lose too much depth. If the salt signal is bad you can easily tell its presence by ground balancing with a pumping up and down motion, if the detector won’t settle using the pumping method then salt is present, you can leave the recovery as is and just sweep side to side when ground balancing or speed the recovery speed up to quieten it down during the coil pump method.

JP

• Like 4