I enjoy finding foreign coinage.   I think its cool.

Very nice dime!!!

HH
Mike

• Like 1

From Wikipedia

“By the 1840s, Indian peace medals had come to be known as a "presidential series" for which there was growing interest. The federal mint in Philadelphia started collecting dies for the previously issued medals. This began the practice of striking bronze replicas of medals for presentation to government officials or historical societies. Production of the bronze medals began in 1842 with the Jefferson medal. The dies of the Washington and John Adams medals were missing during initial production, however. The John Adams die was not collected until 1878, and the George Washington die was ultimately reproduced in 1903, completing the series.”

Restruck in 2007

• Like 6

I'd be looking in that flattened cartridge for a nugget!  Nice bunch of finds.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2

Mate. I want to claim that Aussie coin.  I’m sure I lost it when I was in the States in 2010.  😎🤪🤛🏻

On a serious note, I hope you guys are coping with the ‘beer’ virus and not taking anti-malarial pills for it.  I’m hunkered down with Netflix and perusing my favourite forums. Keep safe y’all. 🔒☠️🇦🇺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I'd be looking in that flattened cartridge for a nugget!  Nice bunch of finds.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Yea Gary good eye, i was wondering if anyone would notice. It's the second one i have found the first one was empty, but i will happily post if i find some nuggets in there. 

Great finds, and wish you more luck in the future.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      Was out today to a local park and came across a strong 32-38 signal on the Equinox. I raised the coil and it still was loud. I thought it was going to be deep junk, but there were a couple 32s that showed consistently on the screen. I was not aware that 1967 was still 40% silver. 
      Equinox, 15" coil, Park 1, 23 sensitivity, 4 Recovery speed, All metal

• By rled2005
      Trusting His Gut, a Metal Detector Enthusiast Makes a Discovery That Dreams are Made of | Page 33 of 34 | Housecoast | Page 33

• By Dan(NM)
      My sister-in-law was coming into town today so my wife gave me the green light to go do some metal detecting for a couple of days. I decided to go try a couple of new spots. First one was about 45 minutes from the house the second one was about an hour and a half. Neither one panned out so I decided to drive another hour and a half to a place that had produced some silver last month. It was 1:00 when I finally got to do some serious hunting. I kept having a gut feeling to hunt a certain area so that's where I began. Within 3 hours I had five silvers and a couple of Wheaties. I hit a nice spill that had four coins in the same hole, a merk, a silver Washington quarter, a 1940 nickel and a 1936 Buffalo nickel. My little honey hole played out so I decided to do a little roaming around. I went to another section of the park, started off with a couple of Wheaties ended up scoring three more silver dimes. My goal for the year was to hit 100 silver coins today put me over the top at 103. I'm going back tomorrow to spend about 5 or 6 hours and see if I can find a couple of more hot spots.

• By GB_Amateur
      We've had nice weather here in the Midwest the past week or so and after getting out Wednesday I was doubling up on Thursday afternoon.  The curve ball mentioned in the thread title was breaking an ML Equinox 11" coil ear when loading the car, which I described in the appropriate thread.  Fortunately I have both the 6" and 12"x15" coils (but not the Coiltek 5"x10" yet).  I'm detecting a park with not too much iron or aluminum trash so I figured the large coil would be OK, as long as it didn't mess up my elbow swinging a heavy coil through the deep grass.  (Wet and warm early autumn hasn't met with the Parks Department's mowing budget....)
      First target was showing low 20's (typically an aluminum screw cap) and out popped a clad dime.  Hmmm, that should have been 25-26.  Was the larger coil giving different dTID's.  Going back over the hole answered the question -- 20-21 and out comes a Zincoln.  I don't think the two coins were touching but they were super close to each other leading to the anomalous dTID initially.
      15 minutes into the hunt I get a Wheatie, not too deep (3-4 inches).  That's the age coin I'm looking for.
      Maybe an hour later after the typical occasional can slaw, a couple rusty nails, and a few modern coins I got a nice sounding but inconsistent tone & dTID.  From one direction as I swept close to the target location left-right I was getting hi-lo-hi-lo... tones (14-19 = pulltab zone is set for a medium tone whereas 20 and up are high tones; the tone was alternating between these two).  This is not typical of coins in my experience by any means so I'm thinking a flattened, non-symmetric aluminum screw cap.  I don't remember the exact strength indicator value but I'm sure it was at least 5, maybe mostly 6, possibly occassional 7.  I also don't remember the dTID at a 90 degree compass change angle of approach but I'm sure it was at least high 20's (large, elongated can slaw?).  The tone volume told me it wasn't a near-surface coin-sized object.  Definitely good enough to dig.
      Weak(er) signal strength means take a good sized plug so about 7"-8" diameter and 5" deep was my start.  The Garrett Carrot (set at max gain = 3) said I was in the right spot and switching to the fine tuning White's TRX told me I had a localized (coin-like size) target which was between 1" and 2" deeper than the current hole depth.  I carefully cut about a tennis ball sized chunk of dirt centered on the TRX signal's centroid and upon removal was told the target was in that glob.  Breaking it up with my fingers I saw a coin but it wasn't immediately obvious if modern clad or silver.  Again, careful not to scratch I picked off a clod of dirt and saw the familiar (from dimes I've found 🙂 Barber Head.  See middle coin in photo:

Only my 3rd silver quarter ever and 1st Barber Quarter, others being Washingtons.  (Guess I'm going to skip the Standing Liberties.  )  Even better than being 19th Century date was the -S mintmark.  Left coin in the photo is actually a 1919-S which I found the previous day probably less than 10 m away from where I found the quarter.  So -S mint oldies in consecutive days, and neither is particularly common although neither is a semi-key.  On the right is a 1941 Merc which I found last week, so three consecutive hunts with non-penny old coins.  That's very good for me in my current public sites.
      Why the anomalous dTID from one direction?  I wonder if the coin was oriented on-edge.
      So what's the big 'A'?  Some of you recognize this as the Atlanta Braves initial.  For those who don't follow our North American professional baseball, they just won the annual championship (not so modestly called 'World Series') for their first time in a quarter century.  They were underdogs vs. at least their last two playoff opponents.  But there is a detecting connection.  I sometimes hunt in rural areas during Autumn and that is prime (gun) hunting season.  I have other bright (orange) garb but I wanted a baseball cap (easier to accomodate headphones) and I saw this hat at a flea market for $5 a few years back.  I wonder if I can sell it now for a profit.  Anyone interested? 
    • By Againstmywill
      After getting a new coil for the Equinox under warranty, it had its maiden voyage today at the local football field that has been hammered by the other 15"! The dime gave a 31 signal with some iron sounds mixed in; it was down the length of the Garrett carrot. The coil works like the other one, possibly with a bit less EMI. The dime is nothing spectacular, but the conditions were good for detecting and I'll take silver any day.

• By Againstmywill
      Detected for a little over an hour today at a local basketball court with the 5x10 Coiltek on the Equinox 800. There were 29 dimes pulled from the ground with more left there, as my legs were feeling the up-down blues. I was going for coins and ring signals in the 5-15 range. Found one wheat penny, but nothing else spectacular. The 5x10 is like using a laser in the trash-littered grass surrounding the court. Even around a trashcan, the coins were still findable among the pull tabs and foil that miss the can.
      The 5 yen coin was found yesterday at a park; it is worth a whole 4 cents! Takers?
      Park 1, all metal, 7 recovery, 50 tones, 20 sensitivity