First Texas Temporary Closure Announcement

The Mayor of El Paso issued a shutdown order of all “non-essential” businesses. First Texas Products - “FTP” (Fisher, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter) is in El Paso. A letter issued by the President of FTP, Tom Walsh. 

So it looks like the factory will continue activities for industrial and security products, but the Treasere/Hobby lines will not be open. Working from home, administrative and customer service functions will continue. Interestingly enough FTP has a lot of experience with working remotely. Their two most senior marketing folks as well as their chief engineer work primarialy from their respective homes in Colorado, Wisconsin and Oregon.

D96E2E70-6A02-4818-B3EF-4F254C79A65C.jpeg

F9D8C07E-F4C8-4ABB-9A79-606FB9E18BC5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I posted this on Dankowski as well, and a couple of bright folks suggested maybe FTP could use capacity to produce ventilators.  While that is a far reach - they are complicated and need clean rooms for assembly, I sent the posts to Tom Walsh in case there is any critical item that they could make.

• Like 3

There are at least two efforts to design and build ventilators in more basic low cost form where their factory might be able to help.  There is the e-vent.mit.edu open source and the UCI- Virgin Orbit - University of Texas, Bridge Ventilator Consortium.

• 1 month later...

Any word on when the city and 1st Texas will be back to work?

I have been checking the local El Paso news and the Mayor is a bit pissed that the Governor has made it difficult or impossible for the Mayor’s proclamation to stand. I have no hard news from FTP, but I suspect that they will be able to resume a significant part of their operations as early as next week.

Again, my conclusions only.

P.S. It is possible that they could open “with a bang”.

• Like 3

Any updates on EL Paso FTP opening up?

• 2 weeks later...

With the focus on worldwide health issues I stopped my daily checks on the Impulse and FTP working out some production kinks.

Rick, any word if FTP is getting any closer to reopening the hobby lines of production?  Any progress in solving the production issues?  

Thanks,

Rich