Testing The Vanquish 540

Thanks El Nino for the settings I will try this when I have time. Actually I do not like modifying the factory settings of any detector , for 2 reasons :

- To me changing the factory settings means that the factory setting have not been properly set by the manufacturer. I like switch and go machines where you can use it immediately without entering into complex settings. With the Deus I use the factory Deus Fast mode , just change the freq from 14 to 30khz  , thats all , and it is immediately ready for iron trashed areas. 

- Second when the Nox is in my rucksack , it tends to untimely reset the settings very easily because of the side on/off button which is often in contact with the rucksack. I had several times this pb , loosing all my settings because of this side button , definitely not a good idea from ML  I think ….  With the Deus Lite , the settings buttons are located on the headphones and I never had such an issue with it. ML should have a LOCK option on the Nox like there is on the Garmin Dakota20 GPS . As long as you have locked the GPS you cannot accidentically modify the settings , you must unlock it to be able to change the settings.

Hopefully there are no side buttons on the Vanquish so no accidental reinit with it , and no settings to loose because there are very few settings on the Vanquish ...🙂

Back to the sweedish video there is a YouTube comment just below the video from Tuomas Koivurova that I like  :
" It appears that the Deus is still the Iron trash king!  "

It is exactly my opinion !  🙂

Tuomas Koivurova
It appears that the Deus is still the Iron trash king!

Equinox in its basic programs focused on great stability and the elimination of coke and also black smoke ceramics ..
.., therefore it has default discrimination and also tone break up to + 1, + 2 ID ...

Programs set up this way ... but are not set to the best level of separation in the iron ... but only the average separation that Equinox can achieve on the 11 "coil.

And just this YT video-the Tuomas Koivurova  ..points out why ... it's not just good to work on Equinox core programs ...

Experienced Equinox users can customize these programs according to their needs .. and achieve above-average separation.

As for the separation between Deus on the 9 "coil and Equinox on the 11 coil" each of these detectors unmask their part of the targets ...

But a really fair comparison would only be in that case ... if Equinox also had the same 9 "round coil as Deus  ..

And then we can say .. The king is dead ... Long live the king !!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, palzynski said:

Yes perhaps I should have opened a new thread named "testing the vanquish 540" , actually I did not find the way to do it in this forum and I was short in time I decided to join this vanquish 340 thread ... 

Thread split and renamed. Use “start new topic” on the forum page to start new thread. Or use the “create” button at the top of every page.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve . .. For the thread split and rename … It is just perfect now … 🙂

4 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Equinox in its basic programs focused on great stability and the elimination of coke and also black smoke ceramics ..
.., therefore it has default discrimination and also tone break up to + 1, + 2 ID ...

Programs set up this way ... but are not set to the best level of separation in the iron ... but only the average separation that Equinox can achieve on the 11 "coil.

And just this YT video-the Tuomas Koivurova  ..points out why ... it's not just good to work on Equinox core programs ...

Experienced Equinox users can customize these programs according to their needs .. and achieve above-average separation.

As for the separation between Deus on the 9 "coil and Equinox on the 11 coil" each of these detectors unmask their part of the targets ...

But a really fair comparison would only be in that case ... if Equinox also had the same 9 "round coil as Deus  ..

And then we can say .. The king is dead ... Long live the king !!!

Actually after around 100 hours of detecting with the Nox here in the North East of France , for me the best setting on iron trashed areas is : Field2 , sens at 25 , iron bias from 4 to 6 .  But even with this optimized setting , the Nox is still away from the Deus HF set on the Deusfast mode at 30 khz. 

You can find my full Nox test at https://www.metaux-detection.fr/test-minelab-equinox-800-disque-28,fr,4,TEST-EQUINOX-800.cfm but it is in French …

The king is probably not yet dead ,  not for me for sure ... 🙂. I always have my Deus HF as first detector . And the second will be the Vanquish 540 that I really appreciate , an excellent detector  ,  which is clearly deeper than the Deus HF on low/medium iron trashed areas

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Recent finds made by the Vanquish 540 V12. The 540 can find very small things as well as big things... The big thing is a relic from the 1st WW , the 2nd is a coin from the 15th century.  They have been found at different locations , in both cases already hunted by other detectors so difficult to find new targets there … The war relic has been found today, the coin a few days ago I already showed it in an other thread ..

DSC02366.JPG

baio_vanquish.jpg

• Like 3

Palzynski I have to admit that you do really very good tests .., and I'm happy to read your really well done reviews ... on the various detectors you tested .....

and I also agree with your rating ...

Your opinions are correct .... also in terms of Vanquisha power supply .. The multifrequency has a very strong energy consumption ... and lithium batteries or accumulators are the optimal source here ..

I use lithium batteries for the Whites Spectra V3 detector and it is really the best power alternative for this multifrequency detector as well.

. A good alternative is also the use of powerful high-capacity but also high-quality Ni-Mh AA Accumulators.

V8 coil ... The day before yesterday I ordered a V8 coil for Vanquish ... which comes along with 5.3 "concentric tesoro Epsilon coils for Mojave ...

I believe that the V8 coil could move the Vanquish detector even further ..., and it can also be a very good backup detector to Equinox on a small 6 "coil ...

I also think that the price of a V8 reel around 103 euros is very reasonable .... and for a little money we can ... improve detection Vanquish ...

• Like 1

Thanks El Nino ... Actually I use lithium batteries because they are very light , 15grams each instead of 28grams for the MLs stock NiMh batteries, this saves 50grams.

Just a little issue with the V8 coil I forgot to mention , the ML Vanquish lower stem is a little too short for me  . This stem is ok for the V12 coil , but with the V8 on a descending  slope it is defintely too short for me . My height is 1,83m . So I will make a longer stem for the V8 and everything will be ok ...

Yes at 103 euros the V8 is almost a bargain. As I already have the V8 and the V12 I will probably order the V10 because it is a very polyvalent size and it should be very good on the Vanquish.

Let me know about your tests with the V8 .  Btw do you use your Vanquish for coin/relic hunting ?  thanks ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a V8 probe for my Minelab Vanquish 340 ...
  I will see what the difference will be ... in the depth and separation of detection..in comparison with the V10 coil which is standard..for Vanquisha 340 ...

The V8 coil is relatively light and weighs 363 grams ...

IMG_20200507_152620.jpg

• Like 3

I have been using this V8 coil around 8 hours now with my Vanquish 540. 

My 540 fitted with the V8 coil , plus a lower carbon shaft , plus 4 ultra light lithium AA batteries , weights only 1075grams ... see pic below. This makes a big difference with the V12 coil and it is a pleasure to sweep the Vanquish with this V8 coil ...

I confirm that the V8 is much better than the V12 on iron trashed areas , very easy to pinpoint no pinpointer needed  , can detect very small targets like small hammered coins , good surface coverage.

However if you compare the Vanquish V8 with a Tesoro fitted with a 6inches coil like above , I think that the Tesoro will probably win the match because more reactive than the Vanquish.  The Vanquish to me is rather an "all purpose" detector which is very good in almost all the cases , but some other specialized detectors might be better in certain situations . 

Looking forward for the results of your tests ...

DSC02385.JPG

• Like 2