Testing The Vanquish 540

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Nice but seem to be splitting hairs at this point.  Yes, the V10 is going to spit the difference between the V8 and V12 in terms of weight and performance - logical.  Not sure it makes economical sense to pay additional for that type of resolution, but it's your money...good to have choices, I suppose.

80 grams makes an important "sweeping  ergonomy"  difference when this weight is located at the end of the shaft ( for me anyway … 🙂 ) . Actually  I am trying to find the best Vanquish detector/coil combination for general detecting for me and perhaps this could be the 540 +the V10 coil ( to be confirmed on the field ).  Concerning the money, as I sold my Equinox with 2 coils I can afford to test all the Vanquish coils … 🙂  

But I would have preferred that the 540 at 440e was proposed with a V10 coil as stock coil rather than the V12 which is the bigger one . Or that ML offers the choice between the coils , as XP does with the Deus or the Orx .. I dont know why ML did this V12 choice with the 540 , this while the 340 and the 440 are proposed with the V10 coil ...weird ...

But probably the most interesting thing I learnt from this test is that a"low cost" V340 at 240e seems to perform as well as much more expensive machines, ( for coin hunting on mild soils I mean)  , so at this price it is clearly a bargain …  And even the 440 at 340e will be a very good choice , except for those who need wireless headphones who will go for the 540 ..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, palzynski said:

80 grams makes an important "sweeping  ergonomy"  difference when this weight is located at the end of the shaft ( for me anyway … 🙂 ) . Actually  I am trying to find the best Vanquish detector/coil combination for general detecting for me and perhaps this could be the 540 +the V10 coil ( to be confirmed on the field ).  Concerning the money, as I sold my Equinox with 2 coils I can afford to test all the Vanquish coils … 🙂  

But I would have preferred that the 540 at 440e was proposed with a V10 coil as stock coil rather than the V12 which is the bigger one . Or that ML offers the choice between the coils , as XP does with the Deus or the Orx .. I dont know why ML did this V12 choice with the 540 , this while the 340 and the 440 are proposed with the V10 coil ...weird ...

But probably the most interesting thing I learnt from this test is that a"low cost" V340 at 240e seems to perform as well as much more expensive machines, ( for coin hunting on mild soils I mean)  , so at this price it is clearly a bargain …  And even the 440 at 340e will be a very good choice , except for those who need wireless headphones who will go for the 540 ..

I think the 7by10 coil is a great all around coil that would be    easy    to  swing.Put that on a 600  and 25$ less then 11" coil would be a nice  combo . I would like it  for fresh water hunting.

• Like 3

phrunt, I bought the 10" coil to complete the set for my 540. I like these coils better than my Equinox coils too. I'm coming from a Fisher f19 with a 5" and 9x11 but the stock 5x10 was my favorite coil of all. I absolutely love the coil selection for the Vanquish so I'm not worried about any aftermarket coils. For me these are all I'll need. I'm with you 100% on the vanquish coils..wish they would fit on my nox 800.😁

On 5/24/2020 at 2:57 PM, phrunt said:

Minelab need to get their act together and make the Equinox coils for the Vanquish and the Vanquish coils for the Equinox, it makes perfect sense and I'm sure very little needs done to make the coils for the other detector..... the detectors are so similar all it probably takes is the correct plug end.  I prefer the Vanquish coils over the Equinox coils, I'd like them for my Nox.  It'd be nice to make an adapter and see if they work but I can't for the life of me find the Equinox plug ends.

• Like 1

Today I have already exhausted the limit of likes .....:wink: ,,, so thank you for all this information ..., I agree with many opinions here ... undoubtedly a series of vanquish detectors is a really good choice for this money ...
  I have a Vanquish 340 with V10 / and V8 coils and it's a really good set ...
I read one opinion on a Vanquish 440 with a V10 spool which calls ... that it is as deep as a Vanquish 540 with the same V10 coil.....

Vanquish 340 with V10 coils should have a range of about 7-12% less, but on the other hand Vanquish 340 can run almost always at maximum sensitivity, so this difference can be even less in practice.

One more thing ... Coil V12 should bring you 5-12% more range than coil V10 ...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I think if they gave the Vanquish Nox coils and the Nox Vanquish coils they'd have a really good set of coils for each detector and most people would be pretty satisfied with the selection.  The only thing I would want over that combination is a little 6.5 x 3.5 epoxy filled solid coil for both, if that existed for the Vanquish and  Nox I'd be so happy.  The Nox would be a killer gold detector with that.  If they made a solid option to the V8 coil for the Vanquish the small solid and the v8 solid would keep gold prospectors happy.   Pretty easy for Minelab to do that and it maybe a way the counter the Apex by making the Equinox coils for Vanquish and vise versa.

The V8 coil has a real size of 5.5 "x 8" .... Some time ago I decided to buy another small 6 "equinox coil from the" 2-hand" ,, disassemble it and then adjust its winding to a size of 4.5 x 7.5" .... that would be at least in my opinion one of the simpler ...

maybe a colleague can do it ... because I already have experience with multifrequency coils ....but we'll see...

you just need to move on in this ....

48 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I think if they gave the Vanquish Nox coils and the Nox Vanquish coils they'd have a really good set of coils for each detector and most people would be pretty satisfied with the selection.  The only thing I would want over that combination is a little 6.5 x 3.5 epoxy filled solid coil for both, if that existed for the Vanquish and  Nox I'd be so happy.  The Nox would be a killer gold detector with that.  If they made a solid option to the V8 coil for the Vanquish the small solid and the v8 solid would keep gold prospectors happy.   Pretty easy for Minelab to do that and it maybe a way the counter the Apex by making the Equinox coils for Vanquish and vise versa.

A 3by 6  coil for   Nox would be great. It would be great for prospecting   and    tot lot hunting and small turf gold. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 9:57 PM, phrunt said:

Yes, it can.  The vanquish will power on with no batteries if you plug in it's usb port to a power source, you're onto something there 🙂

This question comes from an other thread however I preferred to move it here… Actually I have plugged a powerbank ( 2200mAh ) in my Vanquish usb port and the Vanquish does not power on , nothing happens …  I do not understand why it works on your Vanquish and not on mine ...😩

DSC02408.JPG

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I will recheck mine, mine powered on when I plugged in a USB connected to a computer.

I tried this , a USB connected to a computer but it does not work either ..weird