Interesting Single Frequency Demo

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

hmmmm, not sure about a chart but there was this.....

Thanks Steve for the link.  I remember seeing a chart somewhere, I figured you posted it cause you're like a depository of MD knowledge.  

seems like 5 is the way to go. I don't detect parks.only old colonial sites in upstate ny.after not finding anything for 2 years at my house that was built in the late 1700s.i pulled out 2 colonial buttons .mind you they were both under old rusty nails, not modern nails.i don't know if the detector ,which is the nox 600 at 5,was targeting the nails and I just so happened to find buttons underneath or if the detector actually found the buttons.i have gotten signals the same and they only produced colonial rusty objects,mostly nails.

I decided to repeat this test, more/less.  Here are my settings:

Park 2, gain = 18, Noise Cancel = -4, Ground Balance = 0, Recovery Speed = 3, FE = 1.

Big difference #1(?): I used the 11 inch coil instead of the 6 inch coil.

Big difference #2(?):  In my variable depth test-stand I put the targets (silver dime inside ring-only pulltab) at a depth of 6 inches in the ground.

Big difference #3:  rather than notch discriminating, I went full spectrum (Horseshoe button engaged to read all 50 output channels from -9 to +40).   Similar to the video, I only used 5 audio tone setting but that shouldn't matter since I'm reading TID's that show on the display.

I made sure to swing the coil with moderate amplitude -- basically edge to edge of the 11 inch coil (so a swing amplitude of 11 inches).  Here are my TID results as a function of detector operating frequency:

multi  15/14

5 kHz   23

10 kHz  20

15 kHz  18

20 kHz  18/17

40 kHz   17

multi (repeat)  15/14

Note:  when I show two numeric TID's separated by a slash, the first is the predominate TID but the second occurs almost as often.

As you can see, I never saw 26/27 which is what an unmasked silver dime shows.  I didn't even see 25+/- which the video shows for the 5 kHz setting.

Basically I confirmed the video's test qualitatively, but I added quantitative detail which is more revealing.  Now, the big question is: how much does this test impact actual field conditions?  When will you ever find a silver dime inside a ring-only pulltab?  I prefer searching for real (undug) targets and varying the operating frequency before digging, noting differences in detector response (tone quality and TID).

• Like 3