Your Techniques For Trashy Tailing Piles

Hey Paul,

Great to hear from you and hope everything is well on your end.  I can tell you from personal experience, everyone is looking for the magic wand that will just find gold, or at least non-ferrous targets and eliminate most of the iron rubbish.  It seems like every time a new VLF or coin machine comes out, the gold hunters like myself believe it's the next best thing to chase gold nuggets in trashy areas.  

I have tried just about everything, and nothing really helped that much.  I think when you start using discrimination, then you loose depth overall and potentially the deeper nuggets that others have missed in the early days.  

I agree, a good pick or rake with many good powered neodymium super magnets, not the cheap $10 super magnets or cow magnets.  Purchase at least one good class 52 neo-dym super magnet and you will be set for snapping up the trash. 

Lastly, dig all targets that don't get picked up by the magnet .... 😷

Rob

Hey Paul,

I guess we have to use more elbow grease to rake and dig those gold nuggets out.  

Yes, K&J Magnetics is who I use for the most part.  The more you buy, the cheaper they are, but they have good quality magnets, from lower end to higher end neodym's.  There is no minimum order with them also, they will ship one single, small magnet if that is all you want.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Rob,

Guess i could afford to lose the weight up there this year.... tater fork and rake it down!

The gold mine up above had some beautiful specimens of nuggets in the quartz-- and there are many other little tributaries to look in..

Researching this first is going to be the go...

I have a couple of good books to read in the next two months--

Probably try to go to Australia in December when it is good and warm!!! Like AZ in the summer

14 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Come on Paul...

Didn't you learn anything when you were with me...

Best way to deal with trashy piles is jump on your bike/quad and go to the middle of nowhere where there is no trash!

Hey have you been on any missions this year???

Just waiting for the last of the rains to finish then I'm in attack mode shortly after. Pretty much waiting for the tracks to dry then I'm off.

Dave (Davesgold on the forum) sent me a 20in spiral wound X coil to try out. I'm really itching to put it over a few deep areas and give it a thorough testing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread as I just came here looking for this very topic, tonight. I spent the last couple of days detecting heavily iron infested tailings piles. I presumed that many nails and flakes of tin cans mean many “I think I’ll pass”-es. 
I chose a 6 inch coil thinking it would be easier to separate targets and pick up smaller nuggets. Maybe I’m coming at it all wrong. How come some of you are recommending the larger coils? Won’t that just drive you nuts? Is it just to get more depth and have less raking?

Snookum

yes, a large coil will drive you nuts...pick your battles and match your weapons to match. You have four excellent detectors.  I would not use a Gpz or 2300 on piles in Az if they are full of trash. A magnet/rake will help.

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fred, thanks for the area specific experience shared. I’ve never seen so much trash as in these piles. From your comment, do we have more iron trash here?  Perhaps, more years and inches of rain as elsewhere rust away the smaller bits of iron faster?

Rob (or anyone), which shape of magnets do you like best? I wonder if the circular magnets would accommodate a rake tine in the hole and present more of the the magnet’s surface area in the desired plane.

I’m curious to hear if those of you using the larger coils have less trash or more tolerance.