Your Techniques For Trashy Tailing Piles

I've wondered about coating them with either silicone or epoxy.  Supposedly, once the nickel/copper coating wears off the magnets will degrade.  I haven't ever seen anybody coating his or hers though.  Maybe someone with more experience here has.  

Two part epoxy ‘J-B Weld’ works great to attach and coat rare earth magnets to picks, rakes and other tools. After a lot of use the J-B coating will wear thin but it can be built up with a fresh layer.

Have a good day,
Chet

i was meaning a plastic cover of some type you could just pull off and the rash would come off with it-- i have stuck trash in my hands a few time getting the metal off my pick magnet-------ziplock would tear too easily---

or maybe wear a dang glove Paul!

I do wear gloves all the time while detecting. They protect fingers as trash is slid sideways off of the powerful magnet. Some small black sand and tiny particles remain with no problem except appearance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

i was meaning a plastic cover of some type you could just pull off and the rash would come off with it-- i have stuck trash in my hands a few time getting the metal off my pick magnet-------ziplock would tear too easily---

I tried 0.020 inch thick polyethylene sheet, used in some construction applications.  It wore out the first time in the field.  Unfortunately I'm not helping you find a solution, other than to say "don't bother trying this!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paul,  Sorry I did not catch this post earlier this year but as you folks see, I come and go in spurts onto the forum.

Much of my detecting style is on tailing piles.  I like hunting dredge piles, hand stacked workings, old placers and ore dump piles.

For most of those mentioned above, the Equinox 800 is my detector of choice and the main reason is the amount of iron trash in the piles.  The identification capabilities of the NOX is best on the market today and it has proven for me many times over.  Yes I take a 5000 with 11" round DD coil in DISC mode and hunt some piles if there is mostly hot rocks as that really drives the NOX nuts.

On a recent trip, I found a dandy with the NOX and stock 11" coil at approx 12" and there was iron trash all around it.  I so desired to find another bigun in the area, the next trip had the 7000 covering the same ground and anything not near the surface was checked again with the NOX.  (side note)  You can have both machines on and be about 8 to 10 feet part.  If there was no signal at all from the NOX, I dug it.  Sure enough, I pulled 3 more non ferrous targets from the same piles my NOX missed.  No they were not gold, but I was happy that my combo hunt produced 3 more signals that easily could have been gold.

The NOX is a very capable detector and unless those piles have some seriously deadly mineralized soils, you'll still get good depth with the stock coil on decent size gold.  I have found many pieces with the NOX in the 6 to 8" range and a half dozen in the 10 to 16" range.

How are you setting up your NOX for the tailing as for Function Settings?

11 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

How do you clean the neo mags?? would you put something like a plastic ziplock bag over them or something?

You don't, just use a glove and pull as much trash off as you can. I always have some amount of iron filings stuck to the magnet. Sorry to hear what happen to your 800.

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Paul,  Sorry I did not catch this post earlier this year but as you folks see, I come and go in spurts onto the forum.

Much of my detecting style is on tailing piles.  I like hunting dredge piles, hand stacked workings, old placers and ore dump piles.

For most of those mentioned above, the Equinox 800 is my detector of choice and the main reason is the amount of iron trash in the piles.  The identification capabilities of the NOX is best on the market today and it has proven for me many times over.  Yes I take a 5000 with 11" round DD coil in DISC mode and hunt some piles if there is mostly hot rocks as that really drives the NOX nuts.

On a recent trip, I found a dandy with the NOX and stock 11" coil at approx 12" and there was iron trash all around it.  I so desired to find another bigun in the area, the next trip had the 7000 covering the same ground and anything not near the surface was checked again with the NOX.  (side note)  You can have both machines on and be about 8 to 10 feet part.  If there was no signal at all from the NOX, I dug it.  Sure enough, I pulled 3 more non ferrous targets from the same piles my NOX missed.  No they were not gold, but I was happy that my combo hunt produced 3 more signals that easily could have been gold.

The NOX is a very capable detector and unless those piles have some seriously deadly mineralized soils, you'll still get good depth with the stock coil on decent size gold.  I have found many pieces with the NOX in the 6 to 8" range and a half dozen in the 10 to 16" range.

How are you setting up your NOX for the tailing as for Function Settings?

Mine was stolen a month or so ago-- and I havent gotten up to AK yet to try one out....

I go up in 2 months tho and would like to check out some OLD workings-- the piles are surely hand shoveled that i saw-- all covered in moss and dampness of the south east Alaskan rain forest near ketchikan... Trees canopy is immense..

Luckily i ran in to a fellow who is a gold hunter and even has a few claims--- this area can be very steep and is mostly known for hard rock mines---- but some gold was found down in the creeks... that is where i saw a few mounds of old workings... there are more..

Looking to replace the 800 with a 600 or 800 ....as i understand the 600 on park 2 is the go for gold....--- correct me if this is skewed thinking--

there isnt much difference in the price...

i may even try to pick up a used 800 if i can find one for sale....