Your Techniques For Trashy Tailing Piles

In West Australia it is not only the iron junk but also heaps of little hot rocks sticking to the magnet. What I did was to activate some car bog (chopped glass and resin) and put it over the magnet and while it was still soft placed a plastic bag over it, I then pulled down on the bag to shape a curved shell on the pick. This allowed us to simply wipe our hand over it magnet area,  it was an effective solution to the remove the build up along the edge of magnet. I hope the photo helps to show what I mean, the grey area is the car bog.

Pick.thumb.jpg.cc597b0cf1303beaf68f3b3cd8b011eb.jpg

• Like 2

Paul

If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all! Glad you got your truck back, but not much chance on your 800.

Norm

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, normmcq said:

Paul

If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all! Glad you got your truck back, but not much chance on your 800.

Norm

Your right on that-- even tho the police knew where all the junk was this ring had stolen--

I was never contacted to go see if any of it was mine-- nor did i get to put paper work in---

it is too much hassle for them --especially now in LA--- so i just let it go and called USAA--- 

Its all good.

1 hour ago, vanursepaul said:

Looking for a Nox now--- 

I offer a 15% Military Discount, VET or Active Duty.  Plus I have bookoo emails of knowledge and different Settings.  Small Gold, Large Gold, Old Coins, Salt Beach, General Parks and also how I use to to find and return recently lost rings.

Glad the insurance did not give you any hassel.

• 2 weeks later...

MAGNET SETUP.  For Trash and Small Hot Rocks.

The magnet type and size is getting hard to find BUT here is My Favorite setup. ---

A 1 inch Diameter Cylindrical magnet 1 inch long, with a countersunk hole through it for a mounting screw, AND a 1 inch Furniture Leg Cap to cover it, The Thin Plastic Kind, not the thick rubber ones.

I can usually find the cap at an ACE Hardware in a pack of 2 or 4 for under $3.

Some major Magnet retailers use to carry this magnet either in 42 or 52 grade, 52 is strongest, I just ordered a set of 1 inch diameter BUT only 1/2 inch long magnets with the hole and plan on stacking them to get the 1 inch length, because the 1 inch x 1 inch is getting hard to find.

WITH THE COVER,  You clean the magnet by just popping off the cover and it removes any iron and Black Sand stuck to it Quick and Easy, and it wears well and protects the magnet, you will likely lose it before it ever wears out if your not careful, (Usually something grabs it off the magnet and I don't notice it at the time).

The screw hole allows it to be mounted almost anywhere, use as large a counter sunk screw as possible, usually a #10,      I prefer mounting it on my digging tool Handle Rather than the dig head so I can get into smaller holes and clearly see on it if I picked up that Annoying Tiny Little piece of trash.

I'm Primarily a Nugget Hunter, and find I can Greatly clean up the massive number of small hot rocks in the area by just dragging the magnet around, AND by doing so Greatly Clean Up any target signals that even effect Pulse Detectors, as well as my Nox 800.  GREAT Time saver by using the magnet FIRST on the target spot to grab those small iron targets that Fool All Detectors.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Knomad said:

...A 1 inch Furniture Leg Cap to cover (the magnet)...

How many hours before it wears out?