Video Update Saga Swing Assist Guide Arm V2

Doc

Gang the first production prototypes of the SAGA V2 Swing Assist Guide Arms are here.  See what improvements have been made.  Comments welcome.  Thank you to the people that gave me feedback on the first version which as we all know was a crash and burn.  -Doc 

• Like 2

A bloke dedicated to making a cumbersome, heavy machine usable. Full marks to him. Just a shame that the detector manufacturer didn't design the damned thing properly in the first place.

Truly this is the first time they dropped the ball in 25 years.  They are just super to deal with.  When I told them, guys this thing looked good but in practice it is falling apart.

They said Doc, we are so sorry, tell us what we have to do to make it right.  First time around I sort of left it up to them.  I gave them some ideas but sort of left the design up to them.  My mistake, they are not detectorists, they do not understand the rigors of this.  I should have known better.

So it was a learning experience.  So I went to the drawing board and just started from scratch.  Actually, I am sort of happy it went down this way.  Had they designed something usable, that would have been fine, but I seriously doubt it would have been as good as this model. 

I think from now on, I will have the prototype done at the shop down the block from me, and then I can test it and tweak it, and when it is good to go, then I can send it for production.  They clean the design up, and when I get it back, the design is good because it was already proto-typed here.

It costs me $600 for one proto-type, but if I had done it to begin with I would have saved thousands.

Doc

Also just a note on my sanitizing procedures.  Someone messaged me and said I should have let the plastic soak for 30 minutes.

Actually they soaked for 40 minutes, I went in and ate lunch, and came back out.  I think I confused people because what I said was,  "After I get it all rinsed out I would let it set for 5 or 10 minutes, (meaning in the sun)."  Some people thought I was only letting it soak for 5 to 10 minutes.

Plus the fact I didn't mention the fact that my people in China sprayed everything with disinfecting spray before packaging.  Which is fine, but the stuff was still packaged in China, and traveled through China.  So I was taking extra precautions.  I am sure they did what they could.  I assume DHL is doing something.  But I don't want to take chances.  If I do it myself, I will know it was done right.

I'm confident there is no problem and this stuff is thoroughly clean.  I talked to my sons who are both dentists who gave me guidance on the best way to clean these parts.  They are the ones that said to use bleach. They also suggested to use dish soap in case there was any manufacturing residue.  I have to handle this stuff so I'm not taking any chances with my health or yours.

Doc