Garrett Announces New Sport Metal Detector Coming Soon

Information about what is happening at Garrett with the current business restrictions, tips on things to do while you can’t go detecting, and an announcement of a new detector on the way, but no actual information. A full product announcement coming in the next few weeks.

Update 5/15/2020 - The new Garrett Ace Apex has been announced - Details Here!

• Like 8

Nice to hear it will be a full product information release. The endless tease thing is very old with me at least. And hopefully the information will be followed by an actual detector in a very short time, not next year.

Please let it be a top end unit of some sort and not another low to mid-range offering!

• Like 6

There have always been lots of aftermarket coils for Garrett, so I doubt that will be a problem. Though if it's totally new there may be a limited selection initially. I hope that's the case because anything using the existing coils will just be another retread.

I can't even begin to hope this is the new lightweight version of the ATX I have been craving so long, with a new set of standard coils to match. Maybe Garrett will shock me but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. More likely a replacement for the over 20 year old GTI 2500. Or a high frequency gold machine.

Liked the socially responsible messaging from a US MD industry leader, I think a lot of folks in the detecting world in the US needed to hear that. Even though our hobby does lend itself to social distancing at the individual level, I still have heard a lot of grousing about group hunt cancellations, etc.  SMH   Kudos Garrett.  Chuckled at the ML digs regarding teaser promos and I am really rooting for them to come up with a relevant, gap filling hobby machine at any level (a lightweight ATX would be interesting to me as well, even if it ends up looking a lot like an AT Max - they could balance it out on the aft end with the extra battery compartment needed  :smile:).

• Like 1

If I had to guess what it is, it's an updated Ace-level detector. Maybe something in between the AT Pro and the Ace 400, but it's water proof.

I doubt it'll be multi-frequency like Minelab's Multi-IQ, but maybe it can change frequencies with the use of different coils. Not the same, but allows them to market it as a "multi-frequency" detector. And if the intended customer is a rookie, they'll be easier to sway with the multi-frequency marketing hype (because they'll be less likely to know that type of tech has been around for years).

Here is a list of introductory models of multi frequency detectors and year of introduction. I am not listing all the derivative models to reduce clutter. I will post that later. 

1991 Fisher CZ-6            5 & 15 kHz

1991 Minelab Sovereign            BBS

1999 Minelab Explorer S/XS        FBS

2001 White's DFX            3 kHz & 15 kHz (Simulates single frequency by ignoring half the dual frequency signal)

2012 Minelab CTX 3030            FBS2

From this thread initiated by Steve H.:

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 2:11 PM, mh9162013 said:

If I had to guess what it is, it's an updated Ace-level detector. Maybe something in between the AT Pro and the Ace 400, but it's water proof.

Something between the Ace 400 and AT Pro makes sense, as there is an over $200 gap between those two models. Marketing types don’t like that so you may be the winner with this guess. A lower price waterproof model might also help now that Simplex has hit the market.

Or drop all existing AT models $100 and add a multi model on the top end.

Here in the NE USA the AT series do very well as our soil is pretty mild. Just today some random person stopped by as they saw me out detecting with my Kruzer and he joined in with his AT Pro. On my way home I saw someone else in a field I had picked apart and they had an AT Pro or Max. Any good modernization of that series should keep Garrett in the game. For most detectorists the AT is very easy to learn and pretty powerful with very good audio. I have the Multi Kruzer and that machine I can see being incredibly difficult for the more casual user. Audio wise I think the Pro is much smoother than the Simplex and if the Vanquish was water proof Minelabs could have been ahead of the curve on the click n go market. Time will tell when it's out.

Please be a waterproof, multi-frequency, balanced detector that can handle the salt, highly mineralized soil and screams on gold nuggets, chains and jewelry. Not so much to ask!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1