Things To Do If You Can’t Go Metal Detecting

I'm not sure if this is any better than ArmorAll but I got some and like it...

303 Aerospace Protectant

"Originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications, 303 Aerospace Protectant is a premium surface treatment that provides superior protection against harmful UV rays that cause discoloration, fading, embrittlement, cracking, chalking and/or loss of mechanical properties. Key benefits include keeping treated surfaces looking new, prevents fading and cracking, restores lost color and luster, powerful UV blockers, anti-static, repels smudges, dust, soiling and staining, matte finish with no oily residue. Easy to use just apply and wipe clean. Safe and Effective on vinyl, clear vinyl, gel-coat, fiberglass, carbon fiber, synthetic/natural rubber, plastics, and finished leather."

303-aerospace-protectant.jpg

• Like 6

Righto, whilst I`m waiting on roads etc to dry out to get this gold season into gear, also to alleviate cabin fever, gears hasbeen maintained and serviced as per norm during our annual wet in FNQ OZ. The old backpack was beyond repair, so scout online for a replacement, Gold Hounds  https://eberlestock.com/products/gunslinger-ii was top on the list for a bit then looking through the Camelbak Range up come the KUDU . My old one was a Camelback of the heavier rugged military style as is the Eberlestock, but I got this one https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R01069--KUDU_Protector_20_US?color=c94fa6d070d2440099b6a02f53bb242a only con I`ve seen so far is it is not of military style thus will not take the abuse that style does thus will probably not last as long.

It ticks a couple of  big boxes, it has a 4" or 100mm wide belt that first is a top idea , you tension this by overlapping and fastening at the overlap with Velcro, then you do up the narrower belt. Second tick to the 3l dehydration pack, another big tick to the back support. Now this is removable and would make a top splint for a broken or sprained limb, but it`ll serve another purpose and insulate the water in the dehydration pack from heating up against the back. Wearing this backpack shows the strengths of the wide belt, the back protector and the 2 across chest straps, it just does not move on your back and once adjusted is comfy as. Being a narrow pack and even full providing you are walking upright there is an air gap except at waste and below neck that allows cooling and thus will help stop sweating down the back. Finally the hip stick and pick holder mounts on it as if it were designed for it, with that 20l capacity and the Helmet holder a great place to carry a sleeping bag for those overnights. Made for todays cyclists but applies to our use, now to get it out amongst the weight...………...

• Like 5

IMG_20191009_161543_9.thumb.jpg.22ec4485a9e52221de0b22d75246d63b.jpg

Another project earlier in wet, made this display up of bits and pieces I`d picked up over the years whilst detecting. I`d made this early before social distancing from seeing one a mate had made and had displayed in his lounge room. I noted as a conversation piece for non-detector users it was sort of "yeah" and move on quick if you get my drift, but for detector users visiting is like a magnet, they sort through and examine bits and pieces basically like a "kid in a candy store". Can you see the gold specimen??????

Good fun 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

6. You know those bench test experiments you always meant to do but never get around to? Time for that and maybe a test garden or test tub to answer some of those questions for yourself that have been nagging you.

On it, starting tomorrow.  You're going to hear about, too.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

What is that silver coin looking thing, and it appears as if you've found Papa Smurfs bourbon bottle.

1774585087_Coinandalcoholbottle.jpg.2745c7ce34ee7834239d4d922c1ee6a1.jpg

That is a Holloways Ointment Ceramic jar lid,I`d found in one spot in pieces, glued back together except for one piece I couldn`t find. It is marked  2s. 9D (2 shillings and 9 Pence) Address on it 533 Oxford Strand London  Now the Papa Smurfs bourbon bottle is simply a modern day airline Chivas Regal nip or two. But it houses a valuable (well to me) Chinese brass "manicure" set , el detecto recovered many moons back.20200331_100416.thumb.jpg.f9aab3352b39ba92b4758e2be43acd12.jpg

JW, piece of Quartz has very visible "specks" of gold. Now does that help you find it ?

20200331_101313.thumb.jpg.e809f67db8e088bf9e62a619013619ec.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

303 Aerospace Protectant is a premium surface treatment

Steve,

Where can you purchase this, as I can't find it anywhere.