Things To Do If You Can’t Go Metal Detecting

I grew up in Florida and blind moles are all over the place.  I met a guy once that said he trapped them and skinned them and they use them for gloves.  I don't know about that.

We tried to gas them but that didn't work.

I read the details on the link for those traps and it seems people use them in Florida also but it said they were not for moles.

• Like 1

This technique will get rid of any yard pests!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Some of the east coast Indians made robes for their chiefs from moles...that is a lot of skins...but very pretty.

gophers can be trapped because they use the same pathways...

moles wander all over because they are hunting grubs and worms...

fred

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 6:05 PM, flakmagnet said:

I just ordered some Strick. I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack in our yard. Thanks...

My neighbor calls me Elmer Fudd when he sees me digging for gophers but I think ole Elmer was after wabbits lol

delnorter- I know nothing about moles as I don't have those here. The same people make a smaller version trap for moles...I actually bought 6 of them as they will work on the smaller gophers as well. Gotta have the right sized trap for the right sized hole.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-TRAPS-TRAPLINE-MOLE-TRAP-STAINLESS-STEEL-USA-MADE/323238687925?hash=item4b4286f4b5:g:jyAAAOSwhfJc5Yxs

Lunk that will work for sure but its a last resort...kind like the re boot  button on the 7000! 

strick 

• Like 2

Thanks strick I’ll check the smaller ones out.

Yes Fred the mole are after the grubs and worms. Hey, maybe if I try fishing for them with a worm on a tiny hook. Ha ha, I may have something there. Easier on the yard and such as well Lunk. 

• Like 1

Ok Simon, all of those references to YOUR YARD.  wink, wink ... You don't have to tell us you went out detecting!  We aren't going to contact the local police and have them track you.  haha

My 'yard' is my rock garden outside the apartment door.

On 4/13/2020 at 8:01 PM, delnorter said:

My bigger problem is moles. Any suggestion for getting rid of them?

The easiest way that I have found to get rid of Moles is simple.

1. When the are feeding or making new trails be extremely quiet when walking in the yard so you can sneak up on them so they don't stop moving.

Feeding times vary and I have caught mine between 4:30pm - 6:30pm as I am a late night person.

2. Should the Mole be making a new trail quickly stomp on the trail behind him to form a barrier to slow him down. Then take a stake and stab him until he slows down, you will know when you hit him as you will hear a pop. Once you know that he is on the stake pry out the Mole without pulling the stake from him, I like to see him wiggle just a little before finishing him off.

3. Once he is dead look for more, after you kill a few their blood is in the ground and that will keep others out for a while.

4. Repeat until you get all of them, have fun and watch out when you get them out of the ground as they will try to attack you for stabbing them.

mole2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 2Valen said:

The easiest way that I have found to get rid of Moles is simple.

5. Fire up the barbecue pit.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Just having a mess around as my front lawn is full of junk targets, well so I assumed.  The Bug hit a target that I'd normally never dig, one direction it was a 60, and as I circled it the number was bouncing in the 60 to 80 range, then I hit the sweet spot, an angle that target was getting a pretty solid 79...

A lesson learnt for me, I've been far too fussy on what I dig.

I was thinking the same thing, but it's 10 times better for you to figure something like that out for yourself than hear me (or JW 😁) saying it.

It's in a goood nick too....

Well there you go, using lingo I'm not familiar with.  Can I blame it on the Kiwis, or did you pick this up from the Aussies (or worse, the Brits!).  Just kidding.  I used to think all the Brits had a sense of humor (and the ones who do seem to have really good ones) but I later learned I was wrong....  Maybe I got them confused with my Irish ancestors.  Oops, I'd better be careful or Steve is going to be deleting my posts.  😬

P.S.  Great find for a modern yard.

Simon,

This thread is about things to do if you CAN'T detect!  I think your yard would be a permission to someone else.  haha  

When I come to Kiwiland, can I detect your yard?  🙃

Mitchel