Things To Do If You Can’t Go Metal Detecting

5 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi there 1515Art, Was that a bush fix on the swing arm? You can get replacement ends for that squiggly flexi bit, I know because mine broke & I got one. & you can get replacement skid plates too😉. That one you are showing is beyond belief 😲 What I did on my first skid plate on the ML 14" coil was when it showed signs of wearing through I took the skid plate off & turned it 180 degrees. I guess that is obvious...but just thought I would mention it. I have found that all my skid plates that I have gone through always wore in the same place, no matter the size coil. Must just be the way I "favour" the coil when I scrub the ground. I use the detector in my right hand & the top left, on the underside of course:rolleyes:, is where the coil covers wear.

JW 🤠

Hey JW, thanks for the tips on the GPZ, I finally just got around to ordering both of those things from a Rob of Rob’s Detectors and he has them in the mail for me already. The pick I’m switching to a holster up between my shoulders connected to the harness just over my right shoulder blade that should keep things out of my way although you’re right if I’m on a ledge or something I’ll probably pull it out and use it like a walking stick as I’ve stepped down off big boulders before and almost been surprised like you mention😲😬. Carrying the pick on my opposite hip every swing from left to right I hear the 7000 moan as the coil nears the pick head keeping it up higher quiets it down I’ve even before carried a pick on my hip and a rake up in the holder over the shoulder blade and it felt comfortable enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1515Art said:

The pick I’m switching to a holster up between my shoulders connected to the harness just over my right shoulder blade

That looks like the Leland pick that I use.  I carry it in my left hand and use a bungee for the coil.  That long handle on the pick sure saves on the back for scrapes and deep holes.

• Like 1

One thing I won't be doing is flying Air Asia anytime soon.

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/a-message-from-tony

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

That looks like the Leland pick that I use.  I carry it in my left hand and use a bungee for the coil.  That long handle on the pick sure saves on the back for scrapes and deep holes.

I’m not familiar wit the Leland, this ones an Apex Talon Extreme it originally came wit a 36” handle that just like JW said was a problem launching me off cliffs sort of so I cut it short but out in the desert I’m up and down on my knees too much and think this will be better, everything’s a trade off so now I carry three or four different picks, one tiny Apex, A monster I bought a a club meet it’s a bit heavy but digs really fast and another I bought at the club outing with a reversed shovel blade and long spike I like.

29 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

I’m not familiar wit the Leland, this ones an Apex Talon Extreme it originally came wit a 36” handle that just like JW said was a problem launching me off cliffs sort of so I cut it short but out in the desert I’m up and down on my knees too much and think this will be better, everything’s a trade off so now I carry three or four different picks, one tiny Apex, A monster I bought a a club meet it’s a bit heavy but digs really fast and another I bought at the club outing with a reversed shovel blade and long spike I like.

Clark, I would like to see a picture when you have time of the reversed shovel blade with the long spike please.  
thanks,

Brian. 

1 hour ago, Nevada Brian said:

Clark, I would like to see a picture when you have time of the reversed shovel blade with the long spike please.  
thanks,

Brian. 

Brian, Here’s my pick line up each has it place, the reverse shovel moves a lot of dirt and handles roots pretty good but not so much for big rocks that’s where the yellow handle shines is in the hard pack and rocks, all around general digging I like the Apex is less tiring to pack and still digs great.

clark

6873BA92-9FEC-4056-95B4-6E2A3D30D59B.thumb.jpeg.56c08e6a11a367d00ac098b034c8ddf6.jpeg

B99DFD9A-477A-4E31-9067-9CD7114884F1.thumb.jpeg.3077c2b80056c2b5e4f57bc38044d095.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Clark, I believe you when you say the shovel end moves the dirt.  I had my apex extreme modified to move dirt.  I found the extreme was just too heavy as a patch hunting pick so I thought, why not and modified it.   My go to pick now and for the past few years has become the pick made by Roguehoe, super strong metal and lightweight for all day detecting, but can dig the deep 7000 holes with no issues.  It just needs a longer point in the front.  Have a great day,

Brian. 

C7858A17-E4E0-4763-8330-2C9A28678C63.jpeg

• Like 1

Really nice clean job recessing that magnet Simon looks like it works really good at picking up those pesky scraps of Ferris, the only reason I didn’t do something like that I’m trying to keep as much metal as far from the coil as possible otherwise I hear the coil A little every swing.

Brian, thanks I watched the guys over in heaven, er I mean Australia many use that or something similar I’ve seen,  think I haven’t bought one because I have to many picks now and don’t want to make them all obsolete.😀