flakmagnet

Chasing Stupidly Small Gold Continued And A Dramatic Rescue

Great job on the rescue! Very glad you did that. Good on your son for instigating the rescue too.

0.01 of a gram is a good achievement, very small, nice flat bits though.  I would have missed it as I'd dismiss smaller surface gold like that as a shotgun pellet and I couldn't possibly check all surface targets here, there is only so much time in a day 🙂

• Like 1

Seems to to me that you have raised a very respectable young man, You should be quite proud. I think the find of the day might be that tortoise and how great your son is.

• Like 7

Good on you and your son!  tortoises fall in excavations and cannot climb out if the edges are too steep....that one was lucky.

Nice work on the gold...patience and paying attention are the prospectors friend.

fred

• Like 1

On ya Flak,  anotherie to us old timers.

• Like 1

Flak,  Not only are you dialing in your detecting skills and technique (with golden results), you are able to spend quality time with your son.  That tortoise story and photos will be remembered, shared and talked about over many Thanksgiving dinners.  The true gold in this post, is the time with your son.  Now the gold bits....is very impressive.  I always tell folks, I judge ones ability with a gold detector on how small of gold they can find.  Heck, hearing it is half the battle.  Then you have to try and pinpoint it with the 14" coil and try to get it in the scoop.  Job well done to the both of you.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I decided to work on my personal hunting technique concentrating on swing speed, coil control and listening for faint, vague changes in a steady threshold.

6 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

That's where swing speed (slow), and coil control makes the difference between finding a bit of gold or passing it up and moving on.

5 stupidly small flakes - but all of them were found because I had decided to focus on what I was doing rather than what the detector was doing. Best to everyone in this strangest of times. 

Good for you Flak. Well done👍 What you mention above is what I go on about, & why I believe I get the small/tiny gold that I get quite consistently, as Simon is my witness, & how I always go about my detecting when I know I am on ground that has given up gold to me in the past. Once happy & confident in my settings, which for me in our insanely mild ground conditions usually never have to change.

My settings & what I am happy with on the Zed are:

High Yield/Normal

Threshold Level factory preset 27

Threshold Pitch factory preset 53

Volume Limit factory preset 12

Ground smoothing Off

Ground balance Manual. I have played with semi auto but end up back in manual as I believe if gives me more power & punch.

Audio smoothing Off

Full max sensitivity of 20. This is about the only setting I may turn down a tad.

Running JP's B&Z twin speaker booster/amplifier. Which I have done since my GP 3000 days. Still using the same rechargeable batteries too👍

So being happy with my settings & after an auto tune, ground balance very rarely alters. I can then just focus on the ground ahead & what I am are doing with the coil. Very slow coil motion speed, very precise coil control with help from the swing arm. I always use the swing arm no matter what size coil I have on. Keeping the coil virtually scrubbing the ground, as you can't get any closer to gold than that, but keeping it as flat & parallel as possible without sudden lifting or tilting. Keeping a very fluid motion & listening for the faintest of faint blips in the threshold & investigating them all.

You were well rewarded for doing what you did. It may not be of much weight but hey gold is gold & no catch & release aye. It was gold you didn't get before going over that same ground. Imagine if you had a smaller coil on your Zed😉

Discovering the "secret" which isn't really a secret at all. I think some people just find it very hard to slow right down when they see & have so much ground ahead of them. They try to race through all of it. That is not the answer. When one slows right down then it makes it so much easier to practise that precise coil control which in its own right is a vital part of the equation.

Best of luck out there & stay safe, stay isolate & save lives. Just might be your own.

JW 🤠    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just goes to show what a detector can find when wielded with proper technique. And as already noted, the desert tortoise anecdote is priceless. A wise man once said, "Compassion towards all creatures is the greatest virtue." Well done, Flak and son!

• Like 4

Sorry Flak...meant to mention on the turtle rescue. That is worth more than the gold you found. I am sure anybody else would have done the same thing. All I can say is that was one VERY lucky turtle that your son stumbled across it. Instead of eating flowers he/she could have been pushing them up. That would have made you feel good & maybe the gold gods smiled down on you too.

Best of luck out there

JW 🤠 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

We put him in the shade for awhile to let him calm down after being lifted and carried around. 

Please tell me that you did not infect the poor turtle!

Great job on taking the time to better your skills and finding that small gold.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dan(NM)
      Finished up my road trip today on a good note. Started the trip up in the Texas panhandle where I did quite well at an old park. Dug lots of silver, wheats, couple of rings and a couple of tokens. I've been doing a little relic hunting in southern New Mexico the last couple of days at a 1850s fort site. Manage to put the coil over three good buttons, some percussion caps, fired mini balls and some buck n ball lead. My detectors of choice were the Minelab CTX 3030 and the Minelab Equinox 800. I used the CTX primarily for coin shooting and the Equinox for relic hunting. Second picture is from hunting in Texas.  I'll be headed back first thing in the morning to Central Texas to unwind and get ready for another work week, thanks for looking.

• By afreakofnature
      So the other day my neighbor told me she lost part of her rosary when she was walking her dog.  It was a multitude of events where her phone rang, kids ran out and the dog kind of pulled off enough that when she took her hand out of her pocket fast, it broke and flew across the grass near the sidewalk.  She was able to find most of it but could not find the a piece that had a little cross on it with part of the chain and beads.  This rosary really meant a lot to her.  My neighbors know that I metal detect for gold but they did not ask me at first and tried themselves to find it, even going to point of borrowing a metal detector from their relatives.   When they came back empty handed and I saw them in the driveway they told me the story.  I said you should have just asked me, I would love to help!  Plus for me I thought that this would be like leveling up in metal detecting skill set.  I only hunt for jewelry when I go to FL to visit my folks, so I only get in maybe a few weeks of that.  Plus I rarely detect in the parks, I just don't like all the people.  So I wanted to know if I could really do this.  So I asked her to show me some of the other parts of her rosary so I could get hear what the signal sounded like, what kind of ID number would show up, and how much sensitivity to use since it should be a surface find (it was only lost for a couple of days).  Well I knew this was going to be a challenge cause the little cross came up around 15 and the chain was ferrous, I think it was a -4 all on the Equinox.  I was not sure if the cross and the chain were still connected.  Well when I got to the area she lost it, there was so much trash and EMI plus I could not discriminate because I was not sure if they were still connected or not, but i persevered.  Knowing that I would not have to dig, helped eliminate a lot of targets too.  Anyways it only took me about 20 mins and I found it!  The cross was still connected to the chain, and when the signal came up it was a double blip of those exact numbers!  I looked down and there it was.  She was so excited and thankful and I was just as excited for her and knowing that I could do it!  It was an absolute great feeling to help her out, I felt on top of the world at that moment.  I would even say I felt a bigger high finding that for her vs when I find a nugget!  Anyways here the pic.

• By Bash
      Well, I made it out to the tailings piles yesterday for a couple of hours.  I didn't find any gold, but I am convinced there is some out there.  There is a LOT of trash, and it was extremely challenging for a beginning detectorist.  I found a ball peen hammer head, and some iron hanger/bracket thingy.  I also found my first bona fide "hot rock".  I really thought I had a nugget, as the Nox was singing with a solid 1 on the VDI.  However, the little pointy rock below was the culprit.  I also found the larger rock just laying on the surface. It doesn't register any kind of signal, but it is really, REALLY heavy, and looks like it has, to my untrained eye, a lot of iron in it. Any ideas?
      I'm starting to understand the coin and relic aspect of detecting, but I am completely clueless on the gold front.  Should I dig all the signals that don't obviously show as ferrous when in all metal mode? 
      Think I'm gonna need to take some lessons!  Gerry,  I think I'll be calling you when I finally get back to Idaho.

• By Bash
      So...
      I'm out at the park this morning, detecting around one of the older trees.  Using the Vanquish 440, 'cause I'm being casual, and I like the "turn on and go" aspect of it, when I get a strong, but bouncy signal in the 28 - 34 range. So I pinpoint and start digging, and very close to the surface, I find a big rectangular piece of foil inside of an athletic sock.  First I think, Oooooo! Someone stashed some cash! I start peeling the foil and discover it is a cell phone.  I think to myself, well this isn't something someone lost, this was purposefully put here. Then I think, why would someone do this?! To hide SOMETHING!  I think the foil was an attempt to block any cell signal. So I stopped peeling the foil, and put it in a plastic baggie.  I'll take it to the police tomorrow.
      I wish it had been cash...

• By Condor
      I got out for a couple hrs yesterday with forum member Beatup's brother.  It's summer in Sunny Yuma, approaching 100 degrees around 9:00am so we started right at sunup.  We were 30 minutes into a desert wash that had produced good gold for him this past winter.  We split up at the first junction of washes I went left, he went right.  I had taken about 10 steps and froze mid-stride as an 18" DiamondBack rattler slithered through my legs from behind me.  He paid me no mind, and gathered himself up under a jumble of rocks 10 ft away.  He never rattled, hissed or made any aggressive motion, early morning temps around 70 degrees.  All I can figure is he was under a small boulder and as I passed he decided we were heading in the same direction, the gravel wash being his own territory.  The fact that he was decidedly moving on his way and didn't stop and rattle probably saved me a pair of underwear.   As dear old Fred Mason would say, "don't kill them, you're the trespasser" and I rarely do.  I have snake chaps, but generally have excuses not to wear them, oh well.  
      The good news, I found a 1.5 gram piece and brother of Beatup found a whopping 5 grammer.  As old Sgt Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues used to say "remember, let's be careful out there".  
    • By Mark Gillespie
      I think at some point I've already inquired about this question but it never hurts to ask again.
      May years ago, on the original Tesoro forum, the one linked on the Tesoro site there was two guy that traveled around and hunted old home sites.  These two guy would travel to the upper eastern states and some of there finds were just amazing.  Its always funny they would post their stories on a Tesoro site while they used the Minelab Explorer on all their trips.  I hate to say I've looked through many archive sites and have yet to find even one of the stories.  These two guys could write some of the most captivating detecting stories I've ever read.  Just wondering if any of the ole timers here might remember these two guys and their hunting adventures.