Qed Instead Of Impulse

On 3/28/2020 at 2:24 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

This notice just drove a stake in the heart of my hopes for having an Impulse to use anytime soon. I’m just going to put it out of my mind for now and plan on doing other things this summer. If it happens, great. Until that official notice appears there is just nothing more for me to say on the subject. I’m going to polish up my V3i with Bigfoot and hit the parks and sports fields instead of the beaches in my quest for jewelry.

Just one last look......

fisher-research-impulse-aq-metal-detector.jpg

The way to go Steve H,

I also let it go, no AQ for me anymore they lost me as a client, looking into the Aussie detector QED even without service in the US, when having problems I just send the pot in for service to Down under land, only concern I have is it needs certain adjustment/tuning, for use in gold country in the US what I read.  Steve H. Can you tell me what adjustment the QED needs to used in our gold country. I would appreciate any information on this, so I can ask the Aussie maker of the QED to make these ajustments. See this as my experiment for 2020 /2021, I also wouldn't mind to lend my QED as a test machine to you or any other experienced nuggett hunter for experiment testing.

Just want to tell you that I am not a dealer or interested in selling any detectors to prevent any misunderstandings,  wanted to do this pet project for a few years. Better do it now and don't want to postpone any pet projects, life is short and I don't know if the COVID19 virus gets me this year or next year! No waiting for me anymore, it' now or never!

On 3/31/2020 at 5:38 PM, Whitbey said:

Steve H. Can you tell me what adjustment the QED needs to used in our gold country. I would appreciate any information on this, so I can ask the Aussie maker of the QED to make these adjustments.

The AQ was not a prospecting unit anyway. As far as the QED goes I've never used one and so can't help you there - try asking this guy. I appreciate the offer but I really don’t want to be responsible for somebody else's gear.

Personally I don't think of this as the death knell of the Impulse AQ at all.  Even if the detector was ready to go they couldn't make and ship them anyway.  To me, having engineers at home could be a good thing in that it will allow them to work out any final bugs so that when the lockdown is lifted they will be ready to get production going.  Remember, despite the government bailout, companies are going to want to fast track their restarts to get their revenue streams moving immediately.  First Texas is no different.  If they can release a brand new machine like the Impulse AQ and put it into the hands of users around the world who were itching to get one before the pandemic, they will.  And I can tell you that all of us who can't go detecting because the beaches and parks are closed are going to be even more anxious to buy one.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Personally I don't think of this as the death knell of the Impulse AQ at all.

I certainly did not mean to stir up talk of death knells. I'll perk up when the official release finally happens, but with FT shut down we are now on indefinite hold. Hopefully before end of year for AQ, and maybe next year for Terra. Or maybe the delay will allow Terra development to catch up with AQ, but no matter what we are looking at yet another delay, and obviously no fault of FTs. All I'm saying is I'm not wasting any more energy watching this pot not boil. :smile:

• Like 6

I still have not seen a video waist to chest deep in water with the impulse and none with the new control housing. I saw a still shot with yellow electrical tape wrapped around the housing for some reason another. I did see one, say ankle deep in water but was the older hip mount machine with the T handle shaft. Looking like a damp sand machine to me if at all. I’m getting old and this virus thing is terrible. Everyone stay safe. 

On 3/31/2020 at 8:38 PM, Whitbey said:

I also let it go, no AQ for me anymore they lost me as a client, looking into the Aussie detector QED even without service in the US, when having problems I just send the pot in for service to Down under land, only concern I have is it needs certain adjustment/tuning, for use in gold country in the US what I read.  Steve H. Can you tell me what adjustment the QED needs to used in our gold country. I would appreciate any information on this, so I can ask the Aussie maker of the QED to make these ajustments. See this as my experiment for 2020 /2021, I also wouldn't mind to lend my QED as a test machine to you or any other experienced nuggett hunter for experiment testing.

I can’t comment on the AQ, but I do have the first QED properly tuned to our power grid sent to the USA (according to the manufacturer in OZ). I don’t know what type of detecting you do but if you are looking for a solid PI the QED is a great  detector for the money. Compared to other  PI’s I have been around the QED handles EMI and other interference better than any of them.  It is a great relic and beach detector and is vey deep in those applications. I have only used it twice prospecting and found no gold but did find enough bird shot at various depths to convince me it is a more than capable gold detector. The QED is very easy to navigate, uses cheap batteries, is lite weight and uses almost any coil that will run on a minelab plus some that won’t run on minelabs. I like it so much I will probably order another one as a backup soon. Also has a 5 year warranty. The price is well below other PI’s I am familiar with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a comment  on Carolina’’s post about the AQ.

There is no “new” control housing. The prototypes from 2018 used  the same control housing as the current production configuration - the rod assembly is changed to one like the CZ21.

Secondly, Fisher has long experience with totally waterproof machines going back to the 1270 and the CZ20/21. Each AQ will be pressure tested in the same manner (but not to the same limits) as the CZ21.

4 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Just a comment  on Carolina’’s post about the AQ.

There is no “new” control housing. The prototypes from 2018 used  the same control housing as the current production configuration - the rod assembly is changed to one like the CZ21.

Secondly, Fisher has long experience with totally waterproof machines going back to the 1270 and the CZ20/21. Each AQ will be pressure tested in the same manner (but not to the same limits) as the CZ21.

I don't think the concern is leakage, the concern is operation/performance characteristics and results in deeper water.

Thanks Simon, I knew an update was coming  sometime in August but was not aware exactly what it would be. Bugs is a bit cagey about his updates and seems to keep that info “close to his vest”. My main motivation to go ahead now is the exchange rates have moved in favor of the US dollar and the QED is now about $150.00 less than I paid a few months ago. Makes what I consider a very good price for a quality PI detector an even better buy. 

• Thanks 1