Equinox Spontanteous Restart Issue

55 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’d have done a factory reset in a heartbeat. If you’ve not done that way too early to be even thinking about a return for service. Far from holding off on resets mine gets reset fairly often, just about every time I make a major location change or even just change coils. I have no real evidence to back this up, but in my opinion the longer you go without a full reset, the better the chances of a glitch occurring. Especially for people that fiddle with the settings a lot.

I'm more from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.  OTOH, maybe it is broke (i.e. of need a a reset).

In Park 1, very few of the settings I use are factory/stock.  Although I can easily reproduce my 5-tone tone breaks from memory, the tone audio frequencies are a different story.

Assuming you don't think not doing a reset will damage it, I'm going to wait and see if this happens again and try to figure out what's causing it.  Regardless, then I'll do a reset.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

beats worrying about it

Definitely not doing that.

This is an intermittent issue, and until the other day it was a very rare occurrence.  I was out for an hour today in the backyard playing around with 40 kHz hunting.  No sign of it.  (Note:  I don't attribute that to the frequency I was running.  Just another piece of info.  Consistent with the intermittency.)

I haven't ruled out a factory reset.

Never encountered any of what you are describing with my Equinox.  I did have spurious resets with my GPX and it turned out to be an issue with a bad coil connector and inadequate cable strain relief.  Sounds suspiciously like a coil connector or cable issue from the the one item you posted regarding the air tests and the coil reoriented off the rod not acting up.  The intermittent nature might not necessarily result in a full blown CD error code unless you had a hard open circuit across all conductors.  Anyway, I too recommend a factory reset.  But then again, I don't do fancy tone setups either and primarily use 50 tones or 5 tones at the default settings, so I understand your hesitancy to do all of that tedious tone re-programming stuff again.  I understand if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but it sure sounds broke and step one is usually a factory reset.   I would suggest giving the repair center a call to talk it over with the tech or having a camera ready so you can record video of the glitch next time it happens. Maybe you should manipulate the coil cable to see if you can get it to act up.  I have heard the repair center requesting videos with some of these intermittent glitch issues that can't be replicated on demand.  Another thought I had is whether you have seen the glitch happen in ALL modes.  If so, factory reset could help, but if it is happening only with one mode, you could try just resetting that one mode to factory defaults per the procedure in the manual, that way you don't have to re-setup all your settings.  Good luck, Chuck hope you get it figured out and resolved with a minimum of hassle.

• Like 1